La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+5
tejana
admin
roxiepool
covertcode
dean
9 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-PlatedCars into Mexico

Post by dean on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quiet

Post by dean on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm
great new product for noisy rooms

http://news.cnet.com/noise-quenching-curtains-open-window-to-quiet/8301-17938_105-20059612-1.html
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quietPost by dean on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am
Water, I have tasted it when not brushing my teeth and it is not salty. My meter reads about 1750 ppm which is about 1000 ppm less of what we use to have. But the taste tells me it is it is lower. My meter reads correctly on bottled water about 40ppm so not sure.

bookmark this site/thread as I will add pictures and issues from time to time.

here is a picture of one of the water tanks by the shrimp factory that will have the de-sal water. you will bring your own jugs here to fill up. a real watering hole...

right now they have the de-sal hooked up to the city water, our water is good but not great, 560 ppm disolved solids. I was told by the workers the plant can do 300 cubic meters per day. that is probably about 1/2 our requirements in the summer and 1/3 when everyone is here. I was told another well will be dug for the desal plant. also they ran a three inch line to all these tanks.

here is the tank in progress picture
for today,,,    - Page 3 Water_tank_shrimp_factory-600x337

here is the first structure being built in the campground by a comercial business. note the total area via the orange markers.
for today,,,    - Page 3 Whos_business_in_campground-600x337

second commercial business in the campground. not sure, coffee or taco stand. white building to the right of the gate.
for today,,,    - Page 3 Toco_stand-600x337

the first arroyo to the north of the campground, the new concrete fence with barbwire to stop people from parking there?
for today,,,    - Page 3 Arroyo_fence-600x337

and finally in parting, we had a real cloudy morning here a week or so ago, this is the sunrise...
for today,,,    - Page 3 Fire_in_the_sky-600x337
for today,,,    - Page 3 Sunrise_1-600x337

and lastly here is my suggested air seperation piping to keep water bills low, i have a discussion of it in the water section under building in this forum.
for today,,,    - Page 3 Air_seperation_1v2-600x337

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am; edited 9 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty garbage pick up

Post by dean Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 am

still no garbage pick up, may be time to start your own composting systems.    

right now the people are just dumping in the arroyos now.    So time to make preparations for this issue and not have it surprise you.   I have heard rumors that it may be February before the city has the money to begin paying all the workers.   

Time to prepare yourself out the gate so to speak.    If people have experience with composting I am starting a thread on this issue to help us out.

here is an article about the issue it is in spanish and google translate did not do well with this one..        

http://colectivopericu.net/2015/09/17/definitivo-ya-no-habra-servicios-publicos-en-lapaz/

here is the thread link to post information on composting.  
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t764-time-to-be-prepared-to-compost-no-garbage-pick-up

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty active tsunami alert

Post by dean Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:38 am

Does not show our area is  in serious levels, but would not go swimming in todos side right now.

via google translate...  so not precise.

Civil Protection active tsunami alert
La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS).  In the general population of Baja California Sur, is informed that following the earthquake that originated off the coast of Chile, with a magnitude of 8.3 on the Richter scale are advised to take all precautions necessary to avoid situations that could endanger their safety, it is recommended not navigate from now until after the alert.
Similarly avoid jump into the water or being on the edge of the coast, all this in order to not take unnecessary risks.
Here we present the bulletin No. 002 issued by the Tsunami Warning Center (CAT-SEMAR) 
DATE AND TIME: SEPTEMBER 16, 2015, 19:20 HRS. R (00:20
HRS. Z) aimed exclusively at civilian and military authorities. ACTIONS IN RESPONSE TO THIS BULLETIN ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE RELEVANT AUTHORITIES. SEISMIC INFORMATION (confirmed by the PTWC): origin time of the earthquake: 16 September 2015, 17:54 hrs . R (Z 22:54 hrs.) from the epicenter REGION: NOR 169 km northwest of Valparaiso, Chile. LOCATION: 31,563 S, W 71 737 DEPTH: 10 km
http://octavodia.mx/articulo/61943/activa-proteccion-civil-alerta-por-tsunami

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:14 am

two nice mornings in a row...    wow...   two nights I just used a fan and no AC.    

mosquitoes are building as figured.     Not many yet..   Yesterday the onshore  breeze did help to begin evaporating sitting water.    I leave a bunch of spots alone with water as my points of reference to see the evaporation rate, if I do see the mosquitoes wiggling I do empty the location.  

Looks like we now have about 5 campers in the campground now.   

*********I have not driven on the San Antonio road in a long time and am sure there are some road issues there, but it has to be a lot better than the road over the mountain.    Right now I would highly recommend taking that route to LaVentana from LaPaz day or night.    It adds about 15 minutes to the drive, but well worth it right now. (i know of two people that will only take that route now)******  

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:55 pm

wow a really nice and fresh breeze from the mountains.  Not humid making this evening really nice, no ac needed.   

also two more campers in the campground another cabover and a full sized trailer.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:13 pm

We are not getting our afternoon onshore breeze that we generally get. This generally evaporates the standing water quickly. Without it it may be a bumper crop of mosquitos. Lots of dragonflies around because of the spaced out rains we have received.

really humid too, feels like being in Galveston/Houston TX.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:57 am

No rain so far today, there was some thunder early in the morning..    Clouds in the mountains, clear and humid here..    Yesterday could have been about 1/2 an inch of rain in places.   

there is a cabover camper in the campground now.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:46 am

https://youtu.be/V-9FdWmZqRQ

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:36 pm

oh almost forgot, road report, went to LaPaz yesterday.   now there is one very dangerous road hazard coming south to LV.     Finally part of the road disappeared, right now it is only about 1 foot in and easily avoided, but if at night you may not see it.   So now a final warning that driving the mountain at night south can be critically dangerous.    Before just heading north is...   Most of the pot holes and such that are horrible are on our side of the mountain going both ways.  

Also the garbage men have not picked up again for 2.5 weeks.  I have been told there is now not even fuel to run the trucks.    Before it was the employees had not been paid in months.    The rumor is the last politicians that are out of power walked off with some extra money.    The rumor I heard also noted there would not be money till February for many of the things.  I hope that does not include garbage.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 am

so humid again this morning...    Humidity back for a week now..    

9:30 a weird one, the island was gone this morning, the Pt arena point was clear.    and the clouds came our way from the island and we are getting a gentle sprinkle.   Generally we get our rains from the south.

10:10 very hard downpour.    ground water flowing
for today,,,    - Page 3 Sam_0010

noon:  Well the rain just diminished

lost power from noon to 5pm.    

Got to test out my new used ex-military 2kW diesel generator with 75 hours on it..   This very small one is good for about 6000 hours and are easy to rebuild being one cylinder if I ever put that many hours on.    A typical hurricane is 2 weeks no power, about 400 hours.  What is also ideal about a small one is low fuel consumption and if the home style batteries like tesla and other are working on ever get reasonable in price this is the ideal size generator to run to keep it charged.   With those batteries you would not need to stagger turning on items with motors/compressors like AC, fridges, water pumps.

First had to wire it in and fill with more fuel, that took about 2 hours.    So next time power goes out will only take me 5 minutes.    Was able to run everything except the 1 HP water pump (unplugged it) and  Air Conditioner units (turned circuit breakers off).   I will have to test my smaller AC unit later      Ran all outlets and what was plugged into them including 3 large fridges, what I do is stagger the turning on the fridges because the compressors have a high peak demand, so turn one on and wait 5 minutes.  I was at just under 70 percent capacity, so next will test my small Ac unit later.  It draws 4 amps and shoud put me at 95% usage which is ideal.      To run the water I have a small RV 110vac shurflo water pump, these are very low amp demand and have a auto pressure shutoff, not a lot of waterflow but enough to wash dishes and take shower like you were on a boat or RV.  Also these are built such that our salty city water does not corrode them.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:25 am

lots of flying bugs last night, specially the termites.  

Sophia said this morning she was actually cool, not cold.   This morning not as humid, strange considering the concrete and sand is wet.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 pm

we just had a 20 minute downpour of rain, may not have hit el sargento.    It was about 1/4 inch in that time that caused moving surface water.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 am

breezy this morning, and starting to rain right now. looks like patchy rain.   10am

noon;  the patchy rain did not amount to much, but now we have full coverage clouds and we are getting a decent soaking rain, not heavy but soaking.

6pm, we only had about 30 minutes of moderate rain, no run off.

looks like that is the end of the treat from Linda

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 am

Hurricane Linda is giving us some really humid weather.    

Note though we have had some rain we still do not have weeds popping up all over. Also the bobos have not been a major issue so far. We have had dragonflies off and on all summer may be the reason. No other major issues with bugs. Last year it was a war with ants all summer, this summer have not had to even put out bait for them.

I found a crack in my neighbors septic tank in the spring and have been putting in mineral oil which has eliminated all mosquitos in my location. I put in about 1 once every 2 months. Once it cools off I will reseal their tank. If driving down I would recommend buying a gallon of mineral oil from amazon, about $20.00 it is usable for many things in addition to stopping mosquitos breed in pools, tires, other open water things like fence posts. I presently have no mosquitoes where last year was killing 10 a day with a fly swatter because of my neighbors crack in his septic tank.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:53 am

ROAD REPORT  Just a heads up, the road over the mountain is in very bad shape, would not drive it at night but if you do have a few  extra  tires.    And extra shocks.   Well maybe just go real slow.     Going south is just real pot holed up and if going slow no death defying issues..    Going north, if you had not been on it absolutely do not drive it at night.    Northbound there are about three places, well one is marked now that you can disappear off the road down the mountain say headlights were in your eyes.   Also cows are really out in force.    If we get more rain during the peak next couple weeks I will note the details on this section of my website.  

rain went to west of LaPaz.    

looks like we have some major rain coming in the next day.....   could be major...  look at my hurricane map section
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t524-weather-maps 

The trailer in the campground is now gone.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty road report

Post by dean Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:55 pm

the road over the mountain is in pot hole shape.  All vados be on the look for sand with washboard even coming down the mountain.    It is safe going south if you do not go fast and if you are not driving at night.   I would not suggest driving it at night at this point.     

And going North there are 2-3 extremely dangerous parts that are life threatening.  None are marked well.   One is so hazardous that if you hit it going fast when there is a car coming you are falling off a cliff.   It is around a bend and hidden because it is at the bottom vado.   

We are getting light rain today as of 4:30pm.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:43 pm

most thunder I have ever heard down here....    started at 2 and been booming away for 1.5 hous with now threatening us with some rain.   obviously lots of lightning.

we then had about 20 minutes of rain, maybe about 1/8 inch.

also as a side note the below picture in the next post (if not logged in you may not be able to see pictures) , I just walked across the border to fly back to LaPaz.     I went through the mexican lane because I have a valid tourist visa already.   Had read that we can do this with a in place visa.   There was no line at any of the lanes but wanted to try this.  They did not even ask me to show my FMM visa or passport.    Had been told there are a few lines at this part before.    After you pass by the immigration part there is the standard customs section.     I did not hit the red light at the button but because I had two large bags, they sent me to have it x-rayed and then I was about to have it hand searched but the scanner guy told them it had nothing so they did not do the hand inspection.     But note they do this now at this port of entry.   The other part at chapperal has been doing this to bus people since it opened, they even scan the bus itself after everyone departs.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:42 am

So strange it was raining this morning (normal in the summer is unless it is a hurricane we may get a cloud in the afternoon coming from the mountains to our south) and it is still summer and no hurricane is causing it..   Not hard but consistent and a soaker maybe 1/8 of an inch.  This should cause some weed growth and greening of our town finally.

New walkway at Otay Mesa.  Rumored if you have a valid visa like even the FMM you can take the mexicans walkway.    I will be testing this friday.  

for today,,,    - Page 3 UTI1871147_t837

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:27 am

all clear and very humid. because of the clouds it was such a cool day yesterday but humid. but in our comfort zone.

update on the garbage strike:

http://octavodia.mx/articulo/61742/se-compromete-alcalde-de-la-paz-a-realizar-pagos-para-concluir-paro-laboral

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 am

it is raining right now, rain coming from the north.   9am.     light rain drops that could get heavy.

update, noon.... the gentle rain stopped after about 1.5 hours. While it was never heavy in this part of town it was a decent soaking rain.

Bugs have been getting bad lately because of the rains that are not hitting here?    So with one hitting here I can only imagine.

Read in LaPaz that the garbage men are on strike again.  Last one a month or so ago it was about 6 weeks before our garbage was picked up.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty city water pump out

Post by dean Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:37 pm

nice weather right now...   nicest days I can remember in the summer, we have clouds. a few drips of rain tonight.

also this is probably the most kitable summer we have ever had, if you have a large kite...  other summers even a large kite would not have done you a favor.

The city water pump must be out in the pig farm, that is what I have heard second hand.     We have water though and it is sitting at about 80ppm dissolved solids.    So the water coming in must be los planes water right now.    When you take a shower the soap actually lathers.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty first camper in the campground for winter

Post by dean Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:50 am

I keep forgetting to note we have our first caper RV trailer in the campground, that has to be record setting...  they are hiding under the trees for some reason...

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:45 am

cactus 101

https://vimeo.com/14717792

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:38 am

water departments facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/sapalapaz

we have just has a few days of not so humid weather like we use to years ago.    What a relief.

at 3pm we had thunder and lightning closing in on us.   did not hit us but the valley most likely got a bunch, the final arroyo after town after the graveyard  flooded and only high clearance should venture.
for today,,,    - Page 3 Sam_0016

well when I got back from taking that picture as I walked outside after uploading it here is what I found on my step.   A gecko who has had better days..   So pushed them into a container I use for my turtles.    

for today,,,    - Page 3 Sam_0019

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty Mexican Tycoon Carlos Slim's Telcel Erases Mobile Borders Be

Post by dean Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:23 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2015/08/03/mexican-tycoon-carlos-slims-telcel-erases-mobile-borders-between-the-u-s-and-mexico/

Mexican Tycoon Carlos Slim's Telcel Erases Mobile Borders Between The U.S. and Mexico

In the never-ending mobile phone wars among telecom giants, Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim’s Telcel was forced by competitors to “eliminate” the Mexico-U.S. border and allow mobile users to call from Mexico to the U.S. and vice versa for just a small charge.

Telcel, Mexico’s dominant wireless telephone company, is a unit of Slim-controlled América Móvil. It said July 16 that under the plan “Telcel Sin Frontera” (Telcel Without Border), mobile users can call and text to the U.S. without paying long distance charges, and when they travel to the U.S. they will be able to use their minutes, messages and MBs just as they would in Mexico, with no roaming charges.

Telcel charges a monthly service fee of 50 Mexican pesos (around US$3) for the “Telcel Sin Frontera” plan which subscribers can activate in Mexico or the U.S.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty road closed by protests

Post by dean Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 am

the road is closed by protesters in Mulege

http://octavodia.mx/articulo/61513/bloquean-carretera-transpeninsular-en-santa-rosalia

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:19 am

we have no idea where our cilantro comes from here in Mexico, and it is in ripe conditions for breading this as stored in damp settings at the stores. With the US ban on that regions cilantro it would push the areas production to other markets....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/contaminated-mexican-cilantro-sickens-hundreds-across-the-us/ar-BBlpyJ3?ocid=spartanntp

Contaminated Mexican Cilantro Sickens Hundreds Across the U.S.

Cyclosporiasis, a painful and uncomfortable parasitical stomach ailment, has affected more than 380 people in 26 states after a batch of Mexican cilantro was found to be contaminated with human waste, the Centers for Disease Control and FDA says.

According to the two federal agencies, the outbreak began on May 1 and is likely caused by "contact with the parasite shed from the intestinal tract of humans" in the fields where contaminated cilantro plants were grown in Mexico's Puebla state, al-Jazeera America reports.

The news comes after the FDA placed a partial ban on cilantro from the region in late July. Authorities investigated up to 11 farms and found toilet paper and feces in many of the fields. They also found that many of these farms lacked adequate toilet facilities, AJAM says.

According to AJAM, it's not the first time cilantro from Mexico's Puebla state has caused widespread illness. The herb has been linked to outbreaks of the stomach condition in 2012, 2013 and 2014 as well.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:31 pm

humid overcast electric was out since i think 2-3am till noon today.     I could see a fuse triggered that needed resetting at the transformer but CFE did not come out here till late morning.  

raining right now, just a little drip or two.  much up in San antonio.. this is typical in the summer... with thunder and lightning. about every 3 days or so.

for today,,,    - Page 3 Sam_0015

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:47 pm

really humid today.... 90 and so humid

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:05 am

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/director-pressured-into-mine-approval/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=loscardones-mine

Director pressured into mine approval
Change in land use would permit controversial Los Cardones mine to proceed
- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/director-pressured-into-mine-approval/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=loscardones-mine#sthash.bBLa9xu7.dpuf

The story of a gold mine project in Baja California Sur took a strange twist yesterday when a La Paz municipal director tearfully explained she had been pressured into granting an approval for the controversial mine.

The director of urban and ecological development, challenged by mine opponents to explain why she had signed off on a land-use change to permit the Los Cardones mine to go ahead, said she had been harassed into doing so.

Members of the Citizens’ Front in Defense of Water and Life visited Socorro Icela Fiol Manríquez in her office yesterday morning after hearing the municipality was moving ahead with approvals for the mine.

She claimed that municipal general secretary Marco Antonio Núñez Rosas had pressured her into signing, but told mine protesters and reporters she intended to revoke that approval.

Today it was reported that both Núñez Rosas and Fiol Manríquez have since met with the Citizens’ Front, where the former said that no mines have been granted any authorizations for land-use change.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:09 pm

http://elinformantebcs.mx/operara-la-primera-mina-a-cielo-abierto-en-la-paz/

via google translate so exact meaning is not good.  

Within weeks the XIV City of La Paz, through the Department of Urban Development and Ecology, will grant the Change Land Use in favor of the mining company Los Cardones for it to start operations with gold mining in the village San Antonio, Baja California Sur.

According to information obtained, the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat) granted the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the mining company, document through which it is disclosed, based on studies, a significant environmental impact and potential to generate a work or activity and how to avoid or mitigate it in case it is negative.

Also, the Ministry of Economy granted the necessary permits to the company -The Cardones for the start of its work, but only remains for the City of La Paz XIV concrete Change of Land Use, which no longer depends on the vote the Cabildo.

The data collected show that the final decision to approve the mining project is in the Urban Development and Ecology, and an estimated 90 percent chance of obtaining the endorsement of the authority based on the law.

"They requested the Change Land Use since March, and that is to be resolved, and if you press me, it will be in favor of the mining company because we have no legal grounds to prevent the start of operations [...] If we deny Land use change, they put an injunction, they go to a jurisprudence and beat us, "said our source.

The Land Use Change mining company is to perform pull dam, the construction of a desalination plant, a pipeline to the sea for discarding the water used, the lifting power lines and access roads.

Apparently citizen demonstrations against this mining project, considered toxic, had no echo in the authorities, who claim that the process has been conducted right attached to respecting and taking positions in favor and against.

http://defiendelasierra.org/wp-content/uploads/Migration-of-heavy-metals-in-arroyo-sediments-influenced-by-mining-in-El-Triunfo.pdf

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:03 pm

we have actual rain today, started 5 minutes ago...

ended in 30 minutes it varied around town how much we got as usual. I think here about quarter of an inch.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:10 am

from baja nomads...

On 7/15/15 we drove on the new road from the SJD airport to Todos Santos. The road takes you to north of Cabo just before where hwy 19 turns north running parallel to the pacific. Must've shaved off 1/2 the time...hardly anyone on the road so I'm thinking it had just opened. Will time it on return. No tolls yet but toll booths set up. In two locations locals set up orange cones to block passage...they are protesting not being paid for their land is what I read later. We were able to drive through a narrow part of the cones but a lady was standing real close where you have to be careful not to drive over her toes Surprised.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:37 am

We have not received the rain other pats of baja are getting, san antonio and El triunfo were the winners so this goes into the valleys water supply.

As a note there is an article I have posted on baja and dengue in the section that only appears if you are logged in.     Basically it says 2 new cases have been found recently and for 2015 the number in baja is 57

http://octavodia.mx/articulo/61362/siguen-altas-posibilidades-de-lluvias-para-bcs-cayeron-139-milimetros-en-el-triunfo
n the report this morning, Conagua discloses the amounts of rain on Wednesday, with El Triunfo where more water fell, registering 139 millimeters. Followers: San Antoni or 44.8; Ciudad Constitucion, 28.6; La Palmilla, 19.3; The Cajoncito, 13.5; The Plum, 12; San Pedro, 8; La Paz, 5.3; La Ribera, 5.2; Todos Santos, 5.2; Plans, 4; Cabo San Lucas, 2.5; and El Quemado 1 mm.

The chances of rainfall persist today, with 60% chance of rain for the municipality of Loreto and Comondú; 50% for Los Cabos and La Paz (in the state capital formation of afternoon thunderstorms and scattered rain showers are expected); Santa Rosalia 40% and 20% for Black Warrior.

Also new equipment has arrived for emergency response to baja.     This will really make a huge difference, trucks to get the generators out to the areas hit, a crane to lift the generators in place and 13 generators.  

http://octavodia.mx/articulo/61357/cuentan-con-nuevo-equipo-para-atencion-a-emergencias-en-conagua-en-la-paz

for today,,,    - Page 3 Conagua-1-1437607298_637x330

and generators that can run the water pumps when there is no electricity.  13 of them

for today,,,    - Page 3 Conagua%20equipo%20nuevo

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:32 pm

A few drops of rain today, did make the cement wet for a bit.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty Mexico should be one of first for vaccine

Post by dean Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 am

also posting on the hurricane on the hurricane section.

the below is 60% effective.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-should-be-one-of-first-for-vaccine/

Mexico should be one of first for vaccine

Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, July 14, 2015
There’s a vaccine on the way for dengue fever after a signing ceremony in France yesterday, but there’s nothing on the horizon for another mosquito-borne virus that has spread quickly in Mexico.

This country is on track to be one of the first countries in the world to implement dengue vaccinations following the signing of an agreement between the Health Secretariat and drug maker Sanofi Pasteur.

Clinical trials of a drug designed to combat what has been described as the world’s fastest-growing tropical disease wrapped up last September, when it was announced that Mexico would probably be one of the first recipients.

A Sanofi Pasteur official said in June that the company was ready to distribute the drug, it having proved effective against the four types of dengue. Mexico was one of countries to participate in the trials, which began in 2004 and took 10 years to complete.

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-should-be-one-of-first-for-vaccine/#sthash.L6fhA55N.dpuf

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:10 pm

hurricane Delores is coming... I will post in the hurricanes section as we have effects with pictures.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 pm

read the last line....

http://vizcainohoy.com/index.php/noticias/item/12038-en-baja-california-sur-hay-15-000-estadounidenses-ilegales

En Baja California Sur hay 15,000 estadounidenses ilegales

this is google translate...

In Baja California Sur there are 15,000 illegal US, he announced the delegate of the National Migration Institute (INM) in the state, Alvaro de la Peña Angulo. The official called on foreigners to legalize their stay in the state through the Immigration Program Temporary Regulation. "What we know is that they are here and complying with the law. Right now we are calling all foreigners who entered the country before November 9, 2012 to come to the institute to make free process, "he said. He explained that, in some cases, foreigners enter legally, but because they are left to live and stay was determined by certain period, to leave the country does not change the status of such persons "illegal". Meanwhile, he said that there are about 27 Americans in California with legal status, which means, "to the Consulate General", the largest community that exists in the United States in Mexico, above Chapala, San Miguel de Allende or other tourist areas. De la Peña Angulo said that about 80 percent of the work is done INM in Los Cabos, where the largest number of foreigners are concentrated, although the area of ​​La Ventana and El Sargento, in La Paz, is where you have detected the Most illegal aliens working.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 am

humidity back up and like last year again.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Oscoritos 2 ie O2 has a new fresh coat of paint being applied. As I mentioned they did some concrete work outside and these are now some nice covered concrete benches there. I will not take pictures of it so you can be pleasantly surprised when you return.

other than that all quiet here, have not heard of the usual break ins that occur after people initially leave or thereafter..

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 am

humidity has dropped and temp has moved to normal.

We had the election and the PAN won so there will be a change in office. The PRI are contesting the close results.

The garbage men did not come for 3 weeks. Rumor is they were or are on strike.

Same with the water department, heard the rumor they are on strike too. I believe they do turn the water on every once in a while.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:48 am

we had a sprinkling. appears only LaVentana and about 10 minutes. maybe 1/16 of an inch.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:27 pm

man-o-wars the absolute most abundant year of them... hundreds are on the beach walk every day.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty State Dept Suspends Overseas Passport, Visa Issuance

Post by dean Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/state-dept-suspends-overseas-passport-visa-issuance-31729129

State Dept Suspends Overseas Passport, Visa Issuance
WASHINGTON — Jun 12, 2015, 4:21 PM ET
By MATTHEW LEE AP Diplomatic Writer
Associated Press
The State Department said Friday it has been forced to suspend the issuance of U.S. passports and visas at its overseas diplomatic missions due to a glitch that has hit one of its computer databases.

In a statement posted to its travel.state.gov website, the department said a hardware failure in its Consular Consolidated Database glitch has left overseas embassies and consulates unable to print visas, regular passports and other travel documents. This means that people who submitted online applications for passports and visas on or after June 9 will likely experience delays in processing, it said.

The failure does not affect domestic passport issuance because it only stopped the database from receiving biometric information sent from overseas posts, the department said.

"We cannot bypass the legal requirements necessary to screen visa applicants before we issue visas for travel," it said. "As a result, there is a backlog of visas waiting to be processed. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue and to clear the backlog."

"Security measures prevent consular officers from printing a passport, report of birth abroad or visa until the case completes the required national security checks," it said.

More details about the failure were not immediately available.

The consular database was taken down last July by another technical glitch that had the same effect but the department said the current issue is unrelated. The department said it was working "urgently to identify the problem and correct it."

"We expect the systems to be fully operational again soon," it said, but offered no timeline.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:03 am

It has now been almost two weeks since eight additional lanes were opened up at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, causing border wait times to dramatically decrease. Border crossers are ecstatic, and so are politicians in both the U.S. and Mexico. Construction is still ongoing, and up to two lanes may be closed from time to time, but unless staffing decreases it is expected that these reduced wait times will be the new norm for the region.
The additional lanes have not only caused border wait times to drastically drop, but this has also resulted in an increased number of border crossers. When comparing the average hourly vehicle volumes crossing northbound at San Ysidro during September before the lanes opened on September 17, compared to the rest of the month, the volume of border crossers has increased by 19%.
- See more at: http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/57752/With-Shorter-Lines-in-San-Ysidro-Car-Crossing-Volume-has-Increased-19/#sthash.8bTQREJy.dpuf

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 3 Empty new border crossing fee

Post by dean Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:03 am

dont be surprised...

TIJUANA.- A pilot program put in place by Mexico's National Immigration Institute (INM) at the Otay Mesa border crossing charging foreigners an entry tax caused quite a controversy amongst residents in the border region this week. Today, the INM has clarified some of the many questions that locals were asking, and have assured that the announced requirement has many exceptions.
Representatives of the National Chamber of Commerce and the Tijuana Conventions and Tourism Committee expressed their frustration at the new program, stating that this federal requirement will impact regional tourism and the entire tourism industry.
The INM indicated that those that enter Mexico for less than seven days will not have to pay the entry tax, and that the 306 pesos tax (approx. $24 U.S. dollars) will only apply to those that intend on staying between 8 days and six months. This tax is somewhat similar to the fee that Mexicans have to pay for I-94 visas (a visa required if you plan on staying in the U.S. for more than 30 days and/or travel beyond 25 miles from the border). The INM states that this measure is intended to gain a better understanding of who is entering the country and where they are going.
U.S. citizens of Mexican origin will be not have to pay this tax if they have some sort of document identifying them as Mexicans. For students living in Mexico, they will also not require the permit so long as they have a permit, visa, or legal resident.
The INM is testing the program out at the Otay border crossing, where signs have already been posted to route traffic to special lanes for U.S. vehicles and Mexican Vehicles.
- See more at: http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/58712/Mexico-Will-Start-Charging-Entry-Tax-Arriving-via-Tijuana/#sthash.XWQxfY4q.dpuf

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:21 am

facebook wrote:ROAD REPORT. HWY 1 is all clear from Loreto to Hotel Paraiso Colonet. There are a couple of vados with shallow water but they will be gone in another day.... except maybe for the one just south of San Ignacio at the Oasis Hotel. It was swift moving and up to the doors. Only semi's and busses were getting across. We paid $300ps and were ferried across on the back of a flatbed semi. Well worth the price. Were only delayed for about an hour.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm

bwo wrote:Consular Agent - The U.S. Consulate General Tijuana is seeking a U.S. citizen applicant for the position of Consular Agent in the Consular Agency in Cabo San Lucas, B.C.S. Please access to our website to view the full Vacancy Announcement (http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/consularagent.html). If you are interested please submit ALL the requirements. Submit Application To: HROTijuana@state.gov. ☞ U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, HROTijuana@state.gov, http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/consularagent.html, 977-2242, Cabo San Lucas

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:42 am

BPE wrote: U.S. Notary. Consulate has suspended document services indefinitely.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:19 pm

I will post the real time hurricane issues as the approach at, right now just cloudy and humid and calm. calm water too. I will also post pictures at the below page.
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t726-hurricanes-2015

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:17 am

added a real cool map link to the hurricane map section.  

people are concerned with how powerful the first hurricane of the season  is/was cat 4 and a second one coming up so quickly for this season.    and the second one Blanca does show some theoretical paths giving us some wind/rain.

here is current projection that we have to worry about.

for today,,,    - Page 3 Modelos-wunderground

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 am

second tropical storm named and we are getting more humidity, now like last summer for humidity.

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next