La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+5
tejana
admin
roxiepool
covertcode
dean
9 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-PlatedCars into Mexico

Post by dean on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quiet

Post by dean on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm
great new product for noisy rooms

http://news.cnet.com/noise-quenching-curtains-open-window-to-quiet/8301-17938_105-20059612-1.html
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quietPost by dean on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am
Water, I have tasted it when not brushing my teeth and it is not salty. My meter reads about 1750 ppm which is about 1000 ppm less of what we use to have. But the taste tells me it is it is lower. My meter reads correctly on bottled water about 40ppm so not sure.

bookmark this site/thread as I will add pictures and issues from time to time.

here is a picture of one of the water tanks by the shrimp factory that will have the de-sal water. you will bring your own jugs here to fill up. a real watering hole...

right now they have the de-sal hooked up to the city water, our water is good but not great, 560 ppm disolved solids. I was told by the workers the plant can do 300 cubic meters per day. that is probably about 1/2 our requirements in the summer and 1/3 when everyone is here. I was told another well will be dug for the desal plant. also they ran a three inch line to all these tanks.

here is the tank in progress picture
for today,,,    - Page 14 Water_tank_shrimp_factory-600x337

here is the first structure being built in the campground by a comercial business. note the total area via the orange markers.
for today,,,    - Page 14 Whos_business_in_campground-600x337

second commercial business in the campground. not sure, coffee or taco stand. white building to the right of the gate.
for today,,,    - Page 14 Toco_stand-600x337

the first arroyo to the north of the campground, the new concrete fence with barbwire to stop people from parking there?
for today,,,    - Page 14 Arroyo_fence-600x337

and finally in parting, we had a real cloudy morning here a week or so ago, this is the sunrise...
for today,,,    - Page 14 Fire_in_the_sky-600x337
for today,,,    - Page 14 Sunrise_1-600x337

and lastly here is my suggested air seperation piping to keep water bills low, i have a discussion of it in the water section under building in this forum.
for today,,,    - Page 14 Air_seperation_1v2-600x337

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am; edited 9 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:47 pm

kiters out today and even one windsurfer

yesterday only kiters again.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty break ins

Post by dean Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 am

break ins are still bad another one reported yesterday.

alarm systems are key... and or buy one of the cameras that have motion sensors that record to a flash drive. These will last all summer. I have some listed on this site from a few years ago that were about $200.00.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty road is drivable

Post by dean Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:38 pm

BPE
San Vincinte to Camalu road widening to 4 lanes.
Mulege to San Ignacio 7 road washouts, 4 bridges damaged. ALL PASSABLE!
Drive safe, Larry Cooper

d. Bottom line....The road is open to buses, trucks and small cars

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 pm

hurricane paul at loreto...

https://youtu.be/z6vtng50RHY

HURACAN PAUL PUERTO SAN CARLOS

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty highway 1 reported you now can get through

Post by dean Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

from BPE it is reported you can get through now, but no reports of conditions yet.

no reports saturday of anyone getting through so this is not encouraging news. generally by this time someone at least tells us how bad it is. maybe everyone is so wise and just staying clear.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty baja road closed

Post by dean Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:11 pm

BWO
We now know the problem spots. My next report will be when the road is passable. See the latest below:

Road south of Puerto Escondido/Ligui washed out but was passable this morning. Friends left Tripui this am for LaPaz in a pickup truck. Very rough just south of Ligui and headlight deep water in Insurgentes but they made it!! They will be returning tomorrow and will update the report then.
Road north of Puerto Escondido to Loreto is out. Large sections of road missing between Juncalito/the Mirador and Clam Shack. OK from Nopolo/Loreto Bay to Loreto. They are working on it. We have heard estimates from 2-5 days to repair. Will report when it is open.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty quad and jetski in one

Post by dean Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:41 am

The Quadski weighs 1,300 pounds (590 kg), has a 15-gallon (57-liter) fuel tank, and is powered by a 175-horsepower BMW Motorrad four-cylinder water-cooled engine – that engine also features electronic fuel injection, a double-overhead camshaft and dry-sump lubrication.

Both on land and water, the vehicle has a claimed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h). Users just drive it into the water, then press a button to pull in the wheels and enable its jet propulsion system. Upon returning to land, it is likewise a simple matter to deploy the wheels and switch back to driving mode.

for today,,,    - Page 14 Gibbsquadski

http://www.gizmag.com/gibbs-quadski-soon-available/24585/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=71d6884cb4-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

don't look a the price....

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty slow but consistent rain since 2am.

Post by dean Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 am

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020520

update, day after... we lost internet from about 2pm yesterday till this morning. no real runnoff from the rain just a very good soaker, the waterfall should be flowing.... they sprayed for mosquitoes on Saturday so they are almost non-existent.

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty fold up paddleboard...

Post by dean Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am

http://www.gizmag.com/origami-paddler-hits-the-market/24518/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=533601d896-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

for today,,,    - Page 14 Origamipaddler2for today,,,    - Page 14 Origamipaddler2-2
The Origami Paddler gives paddle boarders a solution that's easier to transport than a rigid board and more stable and quicker on the water than an inflatable. It has two hinged folds that break it down into thirds for transport and storage. Assuming it performs as advertised on the water, it should be a good solution for those that want to get a rigid paddle board to water without having to deal with racks, straps and trailers.

One update since the last time we covered the board is that the retail version has been built to hold a paddle. The paddle breaks down and secures in grooves on top of the kayak, and the whole package folds up so it can be carried to and from the water.

The Origami Paddler is available at origamipaddler.com for US$1,200. Two three-piece paddle models designed to fit inside the board will be added to the website in the near future. The company is also working on getting the board into the hands of distributors in the U.S. and Europe.

http://origamipaddler.com/get-yours/

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty rain all morning so far

Post by dean Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:44 am

light consistent ran all morning. and to rain the next few days.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty ramp so called usable...

Post by dean Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:36 pm

when the tide went down it was reported to me they did pour the other half yesterday. so it is usable so to speak... reported there was an issue with someone bringing in a boat at low tide today.

after thinking about it..... I am thinking they expect the ramp to sink over time is my guess.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty wind again and ramp

Post by dean Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:33 pm

very good wind day....

the upper part to the ramp is half done, they were there this morning to pour the enxt part but the wind was causing waves to come in too high. this was about 1.13 meters high tide at about 9am

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020518

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020519

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty windsurfing today

Post by dean Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm

we had good wind...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty new shuttle from San Antonio to LaVentana

Post by dean Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 am

From Roberto of Banditos Bar.
"I'm trying to offer a more economical transportation service between Los Cabos Airport to La Ventana -- There is a cheaper option, which is to take a ecobaja minibus at the airport in Los Cabos to La Paz by the route of Los barriles. In San Antonio have the driver drop you off, BajaFishHunter vans, will be waiting. the cost of the ecobaja bus is 400 pesos, BajaFishHunter vans cost 200 pesos. total is 600 pesos, from Los Cabos Airport to La Ventana.

Sometimes the problem is to find an available seat on the minibus. You have to confirm with the bus driver whether you go to La Paz through Los Barriles, do not take the todos santos route. My cellphone is 6121202306 // this is the link with the bus information, and my mexico toll free number you call from the airport to confirm is 01800 841 4965
http://www.ecobajatours.com/InfoHorarios.aspx
http://www.bajafishhunter.com/shuttle "
roberto@bajafishhunter.com
you must have a reservation with both to be picked up.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty IMMIGRATION ALERT

Post by dean Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 am

BPE
IMMIGRATION ALERT
The new immigration law and by law is now been applied across the country:
If one has an expired FMM and presents a request for normalyzing his immigration status after 60 days from the expiry date one must exit the country and come back in (the order gives 30 days to exit, if one does not exit in time one will face fine and jail and possibly loose Right to come back to Mexico.
If one comes in Mexico one must request the FMM at port of entry , if one waits to ask at any immigration office in the country one will be told to go back to point of entry and get the FMM, in other words: FMM will only be issued at point of entry.
LIC. JACQUES-EDOUARD BEAULNE,

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty road conditions down the baja

Post by dean Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 am

road report

some friends just road down via motorcycles and said all was good... just our road to lapaz has the issues, bad potholes and sand in the low areas.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty ramp progress

Post by dean Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:30 am

here they are putting in the rebar work for the upper part of the ramp.

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020517

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:45 am

weather is great now, the mornings are finally nice.... bo bos are a problem now. not much in the wind area yet...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty skype threat

Post by dean Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:43 am

Skype has a potential threat, http://countermeasures.trendmicro.eu/skype-worm-spreading-fast/ this worm can hold your computer randsome.

Obviously if you receive a strange message from a friend do not click on it. Here is the one ““lol is this your new profile pic? h__p://goo.gl/{BLOCKED}5q1sx?img=username” or “moin, kaum zu glauben was für schöne fotos von dir auf deinem profil h__p://goo.gl/{BLOCKED}5q1sx?img=username”

I think everyone by now has some sort of virus blocker here is a link to microsofts free one http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/security-essentials

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty we can pay bills here in LaVentana and ATM will be here

Post by dean Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Breaking news..... We will have a ATM here in LaVentana at Banditos in a few weeks...

Also you can now pay your electric, phone, sky, and add time to your telcel phone at Banditos too. For these there is a nominal charge of 3 pesos to 20 pesos. And you will be able to eventually sign up for automated payments with them when we depart end of season..
fees as follows :
Telmex 15 pesos
Telcel 3 pesos
CFE 20 pesos
Sky 15 pesos

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

all the slabs are in, next they need to do something for the approach.

I was there during todays low tide about 0.2 which is not close to our lowest tides. This ramp is not usable to retrieving a boat at this level so low tides are not launchable from this ramp. I think they got the levels wrong.

So make sure you look at your tides for the day before launching. here is a great link but remember this is LaPaz levels so add and subtract 40 minutes for leading edge or trailing edge.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020515

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020516

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty ramp work

Post by dean Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm

at about 1 pm they were putting in the 4th piece of the ramp. as seen here. we were roughly at 0.5 meters tide level and if I stood on the farthest slab out it appears to be about 3 feet deep, and a drop off after the slab. So extreme low tide tide days bringing in the boat could be an issue for the trailer wheels.

for today,,,    - Page 14 Ramp_210

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty road to LaPaz

Post by dean Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Obviouslythe mountain did not get the rain quantity as we did, the road is in decent shape, just many potholes still not nearly as bad as other years. There were no critically dangerous areas. Just one area heading north that the edge is a bit narrow. Usually these are 2 feet into the lane.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty ramp pictures

Post by dean Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm

they put in two of the slabs that were made, 6 sitting on the gound and two loaded on the truck that places them. you can see one of the slabs in the below picture.

also note the two surfers out and a SUPer
for today,,,    - Page 14 Ramp_s10

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty should be for many hours...

Post by dean Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 am

ok we are getting some consistant rain.. serious amounts of rain... i proclaim the drought over...

if at this rate for many hours the people in the campground may have to leave it.

just turned on my tv to see if the signal can get through the clouds... nope... off and on

no winds still and only projected 20-25 if we do get them.

8 am update,

it is raining hard now and my road below me is flooding. if it keeps up like this the people in the campgound are in trouble...

I will take pictures

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020513

9am update, it has backed off significantly.

for today,,,    - Page 14 Public10

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020514

very low drizzle now 9:45 the map shows it is now going east so we dodged the brunt of it...

most of the campers in campground have moved their rigs from the front row are now at a high spot and ready to move if it changes direction.

7pm
all clear... almost no damage to our roads from campground to El Sargento. but the soil at the edges is eroded in many areas. just on my hill is a very small not into the driving area cut out.

Last edited by dean on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty shake rattle and roll

Post by dean Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm

just felt another one 4.2
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000cwwg#summary

and just a small amout of rain

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty rain again

Post by dean Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:32 pm

good soaking rain today

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty boat ramp update

Post by dean Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:48 am

they were working on it this morning, from what it appears they now just need to put the concrete ramp forms that have been made awhile back down.

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020510

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020511

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 am

bpe
b. Twice Yearly Sun Outage Cycle Begins For TV and Internet Communications Satellites - September 27 marks the start of the twice-yearly sun outage cycle in Baja California Sur as the sun lines up behind the communications satellites on it's movement South each fall. In the northern hemisphere, sun outages occur before the March equinox (February, March) and after the September equinox (September and October). You may experience a loss of TV channels or Internet service for a few minutes each day thru October 06, 2012. Sun outage will affect all satellite users of Dish Network, Shaw Direct, HughesNet, Starband, SKY, Dish Mexico and VSAT Internet systems. Start and End times will be different for different satellites. Sun outage will occur again in March, 2013, as the sun once again moves north in the spring. - Alan Thompson, alan@BajaSatellite.com, www.bajasatellite.com, (530) 903-4257/33 8421 1142(MX), Todos Santos

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty earthquake

Post by dean Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm

we just had a significant earthquake two tremors about 30 seconds apart. interesting we are getting a very light drizzle too. and hurricane is way out west.

mag 6.2
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc000cw0l#summary

no damage that I can tell. I immediately went outside of my building and stood in the sprinkling. my hammock was swinging pretty good.

Last edited by dean on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty update

Post by dean Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:59 am

no progress on the boat ramp.

second camper in the campground today. sept 22

a few more over the weekend sept 24

our morning temperature has dropped to be very comfortable in the morning.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty for those driving down

Post by dean Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:37 pm

for those driving down I had noted that there is a extended back-road per se past a lot of the traffic in ensenada. found it last trip because I was on a motorcycle so it is easy to backtrack when trying new routes. and it seemed like to many cars were going further than before so tried it and it gets you basically to the back of walmart area missing the zillion lights on the madhouse mega road. probably under travels section by road is where I posted it.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty first camper in the campground

Post by dean Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 pm

first person camping is here.... he is hiding under a tree.

A friend in LaPaz said the weather forecast said the heat should switch to mild in 2 weeks.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty World SUP/Paddle Championships 2012

Post by dean Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am

http://bajagoodlife.com/2012/09/11/world-suppaddle-championships-2012

World SUP/Paddle Championships 2012
By Aura - Online Editor on Sep 11, 2012 Total Views : 14 Daily Views : 2 No Comments
CABO SAN LUCAS – World SUP/Paddle Championships 2012
Time: November 1, 2012 to November 4, 2012
City/Town: Cabo San Lucas
Organized By: World SUP

During the four days of the event there will be a variety of races: 4-mile race, novice races, kids races and relay races. The headquarters of racers will be Royal Solaris Resort, and all races will start from Palmilla Beach. Participants will enjoy other attractions and activities on the beach: food and drinks, a live DJ, board demos, vendor booths, raffle tickets, beach concert and turtle release. The fun will start on Thursday with a cocktail party open to all athletes, family and sponsors that stay at Royal Solaris Resort. The event ends with an awards dinner taking place at Don Sanchez restaurant in San Jose del Cabo.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 am

note the layering of rock sizes and leveling. this picture is at about 1.12 meter high tide.

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020421

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020422

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty year of the flys and butterfies

Post by dean Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:11 am

This is the first year for me that flys have been a problem in the last month. When I was in LaPaz had the same issue and do not remember having a problem with flies before. So I would suggest you bring things you know work on flies down this year as a pre-caution, if the numbers drop I will mention it.

bo bos are here but not as bad as usual from the rains.

Another one I can not remember in number like these is the butterfly... The butterflies are a very welcome addition there are so many, so bring some extra windshield wash solution with you. and when driving down you may want to check your radiator when filling up with gas and if they are coated rinse it clean to prevent overheating.

low bo bo count at this point even though we had the rains. sting rays are rave, have not seen one in 1-2 months. and man-o-wars are also rare now, they were a problem early in the season.

bring Benadryl spray down, as I have now used it effectively with very positive on, sting ray stings, man-o-wars, ant bites, spider bites, jelly fish, bee stings.

Last edited by dean on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:09 am

big winds last night, lost power from 1am? to 8am. from tropical storm I guess. no rain.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty working on it today

Post by dean Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 pm

working on the ramp again today

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty working on the ramp again

Post by dean Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 pm

saw one truck go by with a load of half a foot to 1 foot rocks and go to the ramp location. This I would assume is for above the 2-3 foot diameter one they just were burying.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty ramp update

Post by dean Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:43 am

they are working on the ramp today.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty LED lantern runs on salt water

Post by dean Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:02 am

http://www.gizmag.com/saltwater-lantern/24018/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=9113c6d79e-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=emailfor today,,,    - Page 14 Saltwater-lantern

Given the catchy name of GH-LED10WBW, it’s presented as a saltwater lantern, but a magnesium/carbon lantern is more accurate and the design is simple compared to other saltwater batteries. The 680-gram (23.98-oz) lantern uses 16 grams (0.56 oz) of salt dissolved with 350 cc (11.83 oz) of water in a proprietary measuring bag and then poured into the lantern. The salt acts like an electrolyte in a simple wet battery, that uses a magnesium rod as an anode and a carbon rod as a cathode. The magnesium rod is replaceable because it is slowly destroyed by electrolysis as the magnesium ions travel to the carbon rod, generating electricity.

The 1.5 volts of DC power produced by the lantern is enough to run its ten-LED white light, which puts out 55 lumens of light. The lantern also includes a USB port to charge devices at 4.5 volts. The GH-LED10WBW runs for eight hours before the saltwater needs replacing, and the magnesium rod lasts 120 hours.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 am

bo bos bad right now.

yesterday windsurfable.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty boat ramp update

Post by dean Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 pm

they were working on the slabs and burying the boulders thursday the 6th

about half to 2/3rds the boulders are somewhat underground now. still more to go and I can see they are working again today friday the 7th right now 11 am.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty Cabo Consular agency

Post by dean Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:43 am

Thank you for your e-mail. The Consular Agency has returned to its normal schedule and is open Monday-Friday from 9 am to 2 pm, with the exception of this Friday, September 7, when we will not be accepting applications. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

U.S. Consular Agency in Los Cabos
Las Tiendas de Palmilla Local B221
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 27.5
San José del Cabo, BCS, Mexico 23406
Telephone: (624) 143-3566 Fax: (624) 143-6750
E-mail: usconsulcabo@yahoo.com
Office Hours: 9:00 am - 1:45pm
Monday through Friday

In case of an after-hours emergency involving U.S. citizens, please contact the Duty Officer. From Mexico dial 001 (619) 692-2154, from the U.S., call (619) 692-2154.

went there and when heading south once you see km 27 it is the next exit. take a right going away from the water and at the first right again go there to the shoppes at palmilla. At the end of the strip mall in the corner there are stairs going downstairs and there is a elevator nearby. their office is very well marked.

Last edited by dean on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty update on the shooting in Mexico city

Post by dean Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:44 pm

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/29/world/la-fg-mexico-police-20120830

seems they were CIA agents.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty energy efficient fridge...

Post by dean Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm

this is amazing. my fridge which is an energy star one uses about three times that in actual use but my fridge is outdoors.

http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-most-energy-efficient-refrigerator/23949/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=6fbbeef168-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

Appearing at IFA, Panasonic has unveiled a brand new refrigerator which the company states is the first-ever A+++rated two-door refrigerator – making it the most energy-efficient two-door fridge, worldwide. Named the NR-B55VE1, it consumes 262 kWh/year of electricity, which by our reckoning amounts to a mean power consumption of 30 W. Gizmag was on hand to take a look.

Despite its green credentials, the NR-B55VE1 still offers features which one may associate with an energy-guzzling refrigerator, such as Panasonic's patented "Vitamin-Safe" technology, which is designed to store fruit and vegetables in isolation from the rest of the fridge contents in order to keep them fresh. In addition to its own high-humidity environment, the Vitamin-Safe compartment makes use of twin flashing LEDs intended to activate the natural protective mechanisms of fruit and vegetables, and keep the natural vitamins locked in.

The NR-B55VE1 also features a door alarm, child lock, a holiday function and Panasonic's "Super Freeze" feature, which cools food placed into the freezer compartment very rapidly. In addition, the NR-B55VE1 is said to run “at a whisper” – or 38 dB, to be precise.

The black model pictured is at present a concept model only, though the NR-B55VE1 will be available in grey from November. Its price has yet to be confirmed.
for today,,,    - Page 14 Panasonic_nr-b55ve1-9

Last edited by dean on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty we had a bit more rain last night.

Post by dean Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:03 am

anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch is what is in my empty hot-tub.

and we have some light drizzle now.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty no work on boat ramp this week.

Post by dean Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 am

no work on ramp. The forms for making a ramp are not at this location anymore. I checked at the other location they said another ramp would be made and there is not any indication or forms at that location.

More rain in LaPaz and up in the mountains but not LaVentana this week.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty rare incident involving americans of any nature.

Post by dean Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 pm

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/press-releases/statement-regarding-a-shooting-incident-on-august-24.html

U.S. Embassy Statement Regarding a Shooting Incident on August 24

Mexico City, August 24, 2012 – This morning two U.S. Government personnel and a Mexican Navy captain were in a U.S diplomatic vehicle driving to a training facility, when they were ambushed by a group of individuals.

The vehicle attempted to escape, was pursued and sustained heavy damage. They called for assistance from the Mexican armed forces, who responded. The two U.S. wounded personnel were taken from the scene, given medical treatment and are in stable condition. The Mexican Navy captain sustained no serious injuries.

The Government of Mexico has acknowledged that members of the Federal Police were involved and fired on the U.S. Embassy vehicle. The Government of Mexico has begun an investigation and detained members of the Federal Police who were involved.

The Government of Mexico has stated it will conduct a full and thorough investigation of this incident. The Embassy has been cooperating closely with the Mexican authorities and will assist in every way possible.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty snake identified night snake

Post by dean Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:10 pm

boy are they close but a lyre snake is so close so is the pacific gopher snake. about 20 people were saying it was one of these with that majority one is confident of it being one of these. and all are almost identicle... and very safe.. and the winner is :

http://reptile-database.reptarium.cz/species?genus=Hypsiglena&species=torquata
Hypsiglena torquata
night snake...

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.b.lyrophanes.html
for today,,,    - Page 14 Xtbiscutatussd5112

look how close a Pacific gopher snake is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pituophis_catenifer_catenifer_(Carrizo_Plain).jpg

for today,,,    - Page 14 800px-Pituophis_catenifer_catenifer_%28Carrizo_Plain%29

they are so close but the v on the head is distinctive for the lyre. And this baby does not have it.
so picked him up today and he is so friendly.... he is not aggressive at all. not quite as attaching as a boa but he is just playful.

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020420

and the actual night snake from this website, referred to me.
for today,,,    - Page 14 5676422540_b74fe55afe

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 14 Empty no boat ramp work done

Post by dean Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

no boat ramp work done here, I will check the other area to see if the forms are up there.

but can anyone identify what kind of snake this is. Very cute....

gal that cleans here was going to kill it but knows I like reptiles. She said was a rattlesnake.

I have had many pet snakes and in general know what is the tell tale for venomous vs non venomous by the shape of the head. But this one is a baby, i looked on the internet and even baby rattlesnakes have the wide heads to dispense the poison and some indicator of a future rattle. This one as you can see has very rattlesnake markings, no indication of a rattle and a long head that is not that of a poisonous snake.

for today,,,    - Page 14 P1020419

for size reference I placed a 5 peso coin underneath the container.

This is hatching time from what I read on the internet for rattlesnakes, and probably most others too.

He also does not coil up in a defensive position like I would expect a rattle snake to. I did have a pet rattlesnake for about 2 years. A 1-2 yo one that was the meanest darn snake I had ever encountered. I now have the nicest rattlesnake shoes you could imagine. (just kidding)

...............................................................................................................................................
good pictures of some reptiles of baja.
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.o.oreganus.html
here is a person bit by a baby rattler.
http://www.chigiy.com/the_gardeners_anonymous_b/2011/05/the-baby-rattlesnake-bite-debate.html
Baby Northern Pacific Rattlesnake
I read everything I could by Sean Bush and went straight to Harry Green; one of the world’s leading authorities on snakes, and this is what I learned:

When rattlesnakes are babies they are too small to eat what adult snakes eat. Adult’s diet consists mainly of mammals like rodents. Baby rattlesnakes eat mostly reptiles such as little lizards.

The baby rattler’s venom contains more neurotoxins than the adult’s because reptiles react differently to adult rattlesnake venom.

Neurotoxins are more dangerous than cytotoxins, which make up most of an adult rattlesnake’s venom.

Therefore, baby rattlesnake venom may be slightly more toxic than adult venom. However all snake experts agree that being bitten by an adult rattlesnake is far more dangerous than a bite from a baby rattlesnake because of the sheer quantity of venom that an adult snake can produce.
http://today.slac.stanford.edu/feature/2008/snakes.asp
http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_rattlesnakes2.php#rules

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next