Immigration Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Immigration Update

Post by covertcode on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:21 am

Immigration Update - Today I bring you two friendly reminders: if you are an FM2 holder or plan on applying for or renewing a working visa please read the following:

FM2 Holder I would assume that all FM2 holders are aiming at upgrading to an inmigrado status (permanent resident) after four consecutive renewals, so you never have to renew anything again. If that's your case, then do not submit any of your renewals late, not even one day late. If you submit your FM2 renewal paperwork after the expiration date on the back of the card, immigration will take away any accumulated years thus far and your four year count starts all over again.

Working Visas If you're currently outside of Mexico and will be traveling this upcoming season and plan on possibly applying for a working visa, then this is for you: If you plan on working as an independent contractor, such as an artist, musician, English teacher, massage therapist, kite surfer instructor, real estate agent etc. you need to prove to immigration that you are certified in that specific field. You don's necessarily need to have a BS degree; a certificate of completion is fine. Just for the record, immigration likes any document that resembles a diploma /certificate (w/ the fancy margins around) rather than a pocket size license card. So before coming to Mexico, if you're in the USA, take your diploma style-document to your nearest notary get it notarized then take it to the Secretary of State and get it apostille (this step is very important). If you're in Canada, take your document to the nearest Mexican consulate office and get the document rectified, in other words, have them put a stamp on it.

I thought I would bring this up because this is a major problem that I see constantly when helping people with their working visas as independent contractors. They forget or didn't know they needed this requirement and they end up having someone back-home do all the leg-work for them after they get here, so I wrote this to avoid that. All the other requirements needed are done here in Mexico.

There are other ways of getting working visas. For example, people that have their own Mexican corporations don't need diplomas. However if you're going to be sponsored/hired by a corporation or an private individual and the job-role requires an expertise, then you'll need it. If the job-role does not require you to be an expert in the field, e.g. manager, you don't need any certificate. - Francisco Gonzalez ,,, 612-158-5776, La Paz


Posts : 3
Join date : 2010-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum