La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft

Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty YoLink alarm

Post by dean Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:35 pm

I have found an alarm system that I believe can help the community, it is reasonable in cost versatile and does not require a monthly fee.     It does not need wifi to operate alarms.  You can get sms messages and emails if you do have wifi.   They have decent videos on how to set it up.   Their system has a good range up to ¼ mile (optimum conditions, i am set up at 30 meters and it is fine through 2 concrete walls) .    It has indoor and outdoor sensors.    Their sensors batteries are low cost and last about 2 years.   You can set individual sensors to be active at all times, just at night or you can activate with your cell phone anywhere anytime say you head for coffee or to LaPaz.  

I have been using for about 6 months now, and it prevented them from stealing my safe already this summer.    Obviously they were watching me to see when I was heading to LaPaz.    This happened to me many years ago, starting 23 years ago, the first 5 years I was broken into 3 times, because alarms were a hobby of mine and I am an engineer I designed an always on system that when my safe was moved, tv moved, computer moved, bottom drawer that I did not use,  several sirens would go off.    I came back one day from LaPaz and sure enough my safe had been pried out enough where the alarm went off.    I had no problems there after for 18 years and last year was horrible.    So I will post the specifics and answer questions on my website forum so people can find the information I have found and people can ask questions.    

You can see below some of my comments on it.   They are not available for a reasonable price so by while up in the usa.    I will answer questions here so I do not have to repeat on facebook so many times.

search yolink on amazon USA.      they have so many alarm and home control products, they have indoor and outdoor sensors.    

also go to their website for some kits.    remember you do need a siren or two, I have several types myself.

They also have videos on how to set up, so you can decide if you have the ability to do it yourself.   It really is similar to setting up other devices.

here is the link but you must be logged in to click on links.   Else search yosmart

https://shop.yosmart.com/pages/shop-home-page-1

Their system has many types of sensors and devices, for instance if the fridge freezer or fridge temp get warm it can send you an email or sms, they have a water leak sensor to send you a message, they have a garage door opener and sensor to even notify if door is open after certain time, power outlet to tell you if thor water pump is on and be able to shut off your house water from 10,000 miles away, turn off lights and so on. Watch the power demand of a item plugged in.

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty Re: ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft

Post by dean Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:11 am

my new alarm system stopped a thief about 10 days ago from stealing my safe.     I have two types of sensors one a door sensor if my safe is moved and one vibration sensor.     They were obviously watching my car as they came in the day I went to LaPaz.       My video cameras are not high enough resolution and the thief wore a hoodie and used a sheet to stop even me posing general outline.    

I ordered gates for the beach access to stop thieves from coming from the beach.   I ordered the gates  2 months ago and still not ready.

these were the yolink sensors. https://shop.yosmart.com/pages/shop-home-page-1

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty Re: ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft

Post by dean Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:06 am

I am not using this system and have not tested it, just another potential option.

https://smarthomescene.com/guides/alarmo-make-your-own-alarm-system-in-home-assistant/

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:11 pm

I now have a complete system, with three seperate sirens and power down sensor.       I set this up such that it is on all the time and I do not turn it off.    That way I do not forget about turning it on when I leave.  I do not worry about it constantly. and once tweeken in no false alarms bothering neighbors because you forgot to turn it off.

So I do not use motion sensors for the system siren activation.    I use vibration sensors and door opening sensors for all high value targets that a thief would go for.      This is what I did 20 years ago and when they tried to steal my safe they got an earful.     Now I will receive a text too.     Because I have a cellular modem they will not know where that system is.   It is battery backed up, and if they disconnect my power i get a text as well as a alarm goes off right away that is battery backed up.    But your modem needs to be battery backed up, a typical Small home battery back up system will work.      I use a marine battery that I also use for running my RV water pump for bottled water as the backup with a charger to the marine battery.     My marine battery typically last 7-10 years in this configuration.  

I have now ordered a motion sensor they have an indoor and outdoor.    Not sure I will be using it.    My old system never used one, and stopped the thieves.   As I mentioned I use motion and door opening sensors on the items that are not suppose to move.  Like Safe, one of my drawers so if they open it,  TV, DVD player, microwave, computer and so on.   I will be designing a custom cable to wrap through items like bikes propane tanks and so on when I have the time.    Their outdoor door sensor is ideal for this, this is the only alarm system I have run into that is this easy to modify.    

Also if you can put some of the cameras low as in some of the breakins the thieves were looking down.

Also if you add security cameras if you can get a shot of the traffic where cars would be leaving the scene of not only your location but other thefts in town when the thieves try to take back roads.     Once I have my high speed high resolution system I will, right now my lower cost cameras can not do justice when cars drive by my location at 50 plus mph.   I need a speed bump.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Have done some medium range testing with a alarm system that seems to be a good fit for LaVentana. This has the critical ingredients, it has the range and is basted on wireless and communicates to a hub that will activate lights and sirens when there is no internet. But it also can send notification with the interne so you can be off premises and know. No reoccurring charge so no annual fees. Ya you do need to be a geek to install it. but seems they have you well covered, sensors claim to work for 2 years before replacing batteries with battery status monitor/reporting.

I bought some parts not enough for full testing, wanted to verify the range first, and the range is good at my location. I will do more testing when I get a chance. I have ordered more parts to make it complete which should arrive in two weeks.

here is the link to their product line.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/YOSMART/page/BD96A252-A9A6-4111-A018-BD677B7FE1FF?ref_=ast_bln

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:16 am

as a note the new apple airtags and the new tile pro released this year are also worth using, stick it in the seat tube if carbon fiber, or under the seat if it is a metal tube, or try to see the range if a metal tube. Then set it for notifications if it is separated from you. I beliee samsung has a decent one too.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:14 am

Well, I have not found an applicable device two alarm experts chimed in and they were not aware of such a device, I did find one that was close requited to high a level of current, 500 milliamps. I need much lower. I have found several plugs that do power monitoring that I hope to find someone coming down to see if they can watch that low of power and then activate a notification. Also I can kind of do it with the vibration sensors out there I am trying to find someone to bring some down. The negatives of these are they will give false notifications more so than the product I was hoping was out there. Anyone know anyone coming down that can bring these sensors for me to test and debug.

As I mentioned, my goal is similar to what I was able to do 18 years ago. an always on system because turning on and off alarm systems are just not convenient. Mine was always on to be optimally effective. I find turning on and off alarms to be a major inconvenience, so I just set my high value targets active at all times. It has various levels of programmable sensitivity to reduce false alarms.

So in essence you would tape the vibration sensor to the plug of the Computer, tape it to the back of the TV or appliance, tape it in the bicycle, tape it into the motorcycle or car. the sensor i am looking at has a battery life of 2-5 years. Has a range of up to 1000 feet, works if the internet goes down. Can be set to only set off the siren between certain hours and will send notifications to a cell phone.

Later I will move this discussion to my website under what to do about breakins. www.laventanarocks.com

also I purchased on amazon.MX a padlock that has a vibration alarm built into it. I will post that link on the website later. It was only 350 pesos. it is posted below

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:12 am

low cost alarmed lock from amazon.mx  this is pesos is the cost so about USD$17.00

Lock CASO70 Padlock with Audible Alarm, 70 mm
Brand: LOCK
4.7 out of 5 stars    104 ratings
$ 346.84
https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B0108F9SX6

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:23 pm

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/kovix-ktl14-300-alarm-14-mm-u-lock/137795551/p?_gl=1*ca5ipn*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY-PBhCNARIsABcz772GSR7bSHxhBzvN-9BY5cQUGzxi-NsE2U8wtAWS5acd2d3upGPA6jgaAgVgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

alarmed lock

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:40 am

https://www.ces.tech/Innovation-Awards/Honorees/2020/Honorees/W/Wyze-Sense.aspx

https://www.ces.tech/Innovation-Awards/Honorees/2020/Honorees/B/BenjiLock-Luca-Fingerprint-Door-Lock.aspx

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 pm

deadbolt lock has fob access too.
https://www.welcomeoaks.com/

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:25 pm

low cost and reported they need to be tested before bringing them here , some experienced a 5% defective rate. as reported by the computer guy.

https://www.wyze.com/

20 dollar cameras, sensors, and so on.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am

this certainly has many features built-in that are useful.

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_secure_alarm_system?hl=en-US

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 am

Koda Motion-Activated Light with Camera
★★★★★
★★★★★ 4.2 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(6)
Item 1319571
Your Price149.99$
Shipping & Handling Included*

Features:
1300 Lumens Motion-Activated Light
1080p HD Camera for Motion-Triggered Event Recording and Live View
Flexible Power Options: Hardwire or Plug-in
Monitor, Control, and View Live Events from Smartphone
Outdoor Rated

https://www.costco.com/Koda-Motion-Activated-Light-with-Camera.product.100478510.html

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm

bpe wrote: The Amazon Echo series of devices has a very useful skill that many have overlooked. Yes, they do work down here! When we leave for the evening or a day trip, we tell the Echo (aka Alexa) “Away Mode”. The Echo will begin to play random voices in conversion that often have music or TV playing in the background. It really sounds as if someone is in the house. Okay, I’m a Geek and have no real life, I often find those conversations somewhat interesting. In addition, I use Nest Cams that send an alert to my phone along with a photo if someone enters my area. When I’m gone for longer periods, I set the Cams to record to the “Cloud” so that I can review footage from anywhere I may be. Wyze Cams are much cheaper and record to an internal SD card that can be reviewed or played for the police. The Wyze Pan Cam (scans and moves to track images) is under $40, a 32 Gig micro SD card is under $10.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:04 pm

bpe wrote:
Let’s talk security cameras. I use four different types but I will only mention the two easiest to use. For cloud storage and monitoring, I use outdoor Nest Cams. The Nest Cams record to servers and store for 7 days in the cloud with a subscription. You also get alerts where there is motion. I have used Nest for over 7 years and they all still work. The Nest cams require a lot of upstream internet (bandwidth) so that limits your internet when you are at home (Baja). When I’m home (Baja), I switch to Wyze Cams. I use the Wyze Cams in local recording mode to a 32 GB SD card purchased separately. The Wyze Cam can be set to record only on motion and send an alert to your phone. Here is an example of a 500 lb bear coming in our kitchen window in Lake Tahoe: https://youtu.be/Apr5BWfjl8Q

Great quality! Both cameras can be setup to share access and recording. The downside to the Wyze is the difficulty accessing them while in the US – too long to explain. The Wyze are easy to access in your local network in Baja.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 am

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711V3LSQ?ref=dacx_pda_Control&aaxitk=S6D9QcJtO5JthhjDiXawLA

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Q-Plus-1080p-HD-Security-Camera-with-two-way-Audio-Free-Cloud-Storage-Ethernet-and-PoE-VMC3040S/dp/B017B2043W/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_txt?ie=UTF8&th=1

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Security Firm:
Gigabyte 6121180817 - Alonso

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty another new home camera that is motion activated

Post by dean Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:44 am

this one is quite good, free online storage for the last 12 hours or ten bucks for a week.   it looks like a tablet so you can place it on any surface tiled up with its rest or on a wall.   It is $300.00 and well worth what it can do for this price...
when anyone enters the location it can be set/programmed to send a notification to you or set it if unplugged it sends a message to you and so on, again the past hours or days pictures were recorded.    

http://www.gizmag.com/sentri-home-security-review/40440/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=04434db637-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-04434db637-90245106

Home security cameras can provide a sense of, well, security, but there's something Orwellian about having a lens staring at you like a prop out of an episode of The Prisoner. A more discreet solution is something that doesn't look like a camera and, better yet, combines some other functions to make it more welcome. One example is the Sentri home monitoring system that combines a motion-activated camera with the looks of a digital information center. We powered one up to see what it could do.
ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Sentri-review-20

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 am

from the VV

----------------------------------------
2-18-2014 Report of the Security Meeting for Homeowners
The purpose of this meeting was to give information about increasing the security of the community by augmenting the services of local and state police with private security by Seguridad Privada Grupo Lince. They provide security for The Shoppes at La Paz, Chedraui, Becq Construction Company who build in La Paz and Cabo, and others.
They offer three types of guards: commercial, business, and country. All three have security equipment: radios, handcuffs, batons and first aid supplies, but no guns. "We don't believe that security officers should carry guns." They train in Brazilian Jiujitsu and in police holds. They drive cars in town or quad motorcycles to patrol the beach or neighborhoods in the country.

This security would offer rapid observation of break-ins, apprehension and detention of thieves, notification of the owner immediately, provision of the paperwork to press charges in a timely manner and assistance with the legal process (which is changing). The company would like to identify and detain thieves in this community to also increase security in more distant communities. They can also provide security for transporting cash to the bank, complete construction and man the security booth at the entrance to LV near the desal plant and provide fire response.

The cost of private security was the first question raised. Costs vary according to flexible levels of services ranging from one house or 2 or 3 houses during an owner's absence to 12-hour or 24-hour daily security full time for a larger neighborhood. For a neighborhood of 10 or so houses with one guard on a quad with radio and the above listed skills the cost would be $18,000 pesos monthly for 12 hour shifts, night or day. For 24-hour security it would be $32,000 pesos monthly for two 12–hour shifts. They accepted a recommendation to observe the natural grouping of neighborhoods for security purposes in this area and work out cost tables for different levels of service to give homeowners more precise information on costs.

Mr. Joaquin Leon reminds us that he has tried for a long time to get more police assigned to this area and has not succeeded. Consideration of the idea of hiring private security is foreign to the thinking of many ex-pat homeowners here. Many of us think of that as something for the very wealthy, which most of us are not. However, in Latin-American countries private security is a way of life for people of average socio-economic levels. Calculating a cost-benefit ratio will be possible when the cost per services table becomes available. More information to follow

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty another internet camera

Post by dean Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:45 pm

http://peripherals.about.com/od/WebcamReviews/fr/Swannsmart-Network-Camera-Review.htm?nl=1

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:16 pm

bpe
Here is something to consider if you are concerned about criminals entering your house. I purchase a Drop Cam last summer for use in our house in the US. It is the simplest to set-up by far; takes about two minutes to get it up and running.

Pros: It can be controlled and viewed from anywhere in the world using your computer, ipad or smart phone. You can turn it on and off remotely to save bandwidth. You can purchase recording for as little as $5 per month. Those records are stored at their servers. You will receive a message if there has been a change in motion detection.

Cons: It uses a lot of upstream bandwidth (in English - a lot of internet capability). So, if you're sharing your internet, it will use up a lot of upload bandwidth! It is indoor only and I'm not sure about how much heat it can take. It's wide angle but the view cannot be changed since the mount is stationary.

Here is a link to Amazon for the full specs: http://www.amazon.com/Dropcam-Wi-Fi-Wireless-Monitoring-Camera/dp/B006P88VSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372783806&sr=8-1&keywords=dropcam

An alternative would be a Wildlife Motion activate camera. They do take photos but are stored internally in the camera. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Whitetail-Trail-Camera-Vision/dp/B006U0Z5FO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372784464&sr=8-5&keywords=wildlife+camera+motion+activated

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-Whitetail-Trail-Camera-Vision/dp/B006U0Z5FO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372784464&sr=8-5&keywords=wildlife+camera+motion+activated

Simmons Whitetail Trail Camera with Night Vision (4MP)
by Simmons
4.7 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (15 customer reviews)
List Price: $129.95
Price: $84.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $44.96 (35%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it Friday, July 5? Order within 3 hrs 45 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
3MP, 5MP or 7MP high quality full color resolution; 640x480 video day or night
Super simple LCD setup screen; date and time stamp on images
Infrared night vision LEDs that are virtually invisible to game; 15 low glow LEDs -- 30 ft. range
Motion-activated PIR sensor has a range of up to 25 feet
6-month battery life; requires 4 AA batteries and a SD card up to 32GB (user supplied)

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Captur11

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 pm

this is a car alarm that has a long range and bi-directional and could unlock a door is you have a 12vdc door strike. has dual stage vibration sensing. $126.00

Brand New Scytek 4000rs-2w-1 2 Way Paging Car Alarm Remote Start Combo System with Dual Stage Shock Sensor, Programmable Turbo Timer, and All the Latest Features
http://www.ipmart.com/usa/product/Brand,New,Scytek,4000rs,2w,1,2,Way,Paging,Car,Alarm,Remote,Start,Combo,System,with,Dual,Stage,Shock,Sensor,Programmable,Turbo,Timer,and,All,the,Latest,Features,246674.php?prod=246674

Here is one with a one mile range $250.00

http://www.ipmart.com/usa/product/Clifford,50,7X,Security,alarm,,Remote,start,98940.php?prod=98940

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty low cost easy to instal

Post by dean Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 am

For one gates and/or main doors should be alarmed, obviously they have to take the items.

Great ones for this that are easy to install are car alarms, and you can look for car alarms that you can buy the spare remotes for cheap. Basically any car alarm will work. and they have advantages, some have vibration sensors which would be great for doors and gates. Another nice thing is they work off 12v batteries so if there is no power they still work. and if you put in a walk in gate with a 12 volt electronic lock you have a remote to even allow you to enter via your remote.

But what you also need is a low cost motorcycle or golf cart battery, and a trickle charger, the small trickle charger.

I have listed where to buy 12 volt door strikes that you can use. I even have 2 spare if you want to see one and you can see one in action on my gate. I had the electronic door strike put in 14 years ago and I have replaced it one time. They are about $30.00 I think..

On my door/front gate when it is opened I used a wireless door bell that I set up to ring if anyone opens the door. Plus the door bell works off it. Mine has a range of 100 meters. Grant it this is not an alarm, but I know when someone enters my property day or night if I am here..

I also used an alarm like the car alarm to watch my valuable items in my trailer, computer, TV, safe. It was set always on, if you removed any one of these items the alram went off very loud. After being hit 2 times caught the thief the second one, I put it in. He came back and when he was prying out my safe it went off and he did not leave with anything. He really had a dilemma, alarm blaring, where does he run? if with items he would be obvious. So he has not been back in 8 years now that he knows I had an alarm. Before that every other year I was hit.

dean

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft Empty ideas on how to stop the recent rash of theft

Post by dean Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 pm

hit reply to add your idea. (do not click on new post)

This is for us to discuss ways to stop theft. anyone can presently post but if there are spammers I will set it to members only to post. also we have the capability to make sections private for members only too if the discussion needs to be more private.

Everyone has ideas so lets start flushing them out.

I will start, since we have power at the street where we have lights lets put up some community cameras that store online for some period of time, say a week. This would require community money for the system, the electricity, the internet service at each location, as well as the online storage. Then same with putting some at locations in some dirt road escape routes where there are homes to have the equipment. This is just one suggestion but it is unfunded. So how would we we get funding? Will the local police allow such a system and so on.

dean

Back to top Go down