La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets

Go down

Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets Empty Re: Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets

Post by dean Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 am

BPE wrote:a.  I found a Rattle snake avoidance trainer in the San Diego area. The website iswww.highonkennels.com.  He does the training and you do not handle the dog during the training! Contact Fred. I will be using him to train my puppy, on our way down to Baja, Annette.

dean

Back to top Go down

Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets Empty Re: Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets

Post by dean Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

Please remember to spay and neuter your pets and it's free at the Centro de Salud on the corner of 5 de Mayo and Altamirano in La Paz.

dean

Back to top Go down

Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets Empty Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS! and pets

Post by dean Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am

lpg
Animal Protection Law now in force in BCS!

Great news for those who care about animals here in Baja California Sur: the domestic animal protection law has now been published on the statute book, and is in force. I have just returned from the Congress offices with a copy of the final version of the Ley de Proteccion de los Animals Domesticos para Baja California Sur.

I have read through it and I can confirm that all of the key elements of the penultimate version have made it into the new law, such as prohibited methods of euthanising animals, basic humane treatment of domestic animals, dumping animals and litters, and specific paragraphs about what constitutes cruelty. Sanctions are also outlined clearly, too, and they include fines, community service, and 36 hours in jail for serious cases.

The new law also includes elements which were not in the previous version, such as a specific stipulation about the treatment of guard dogs (who also have entitlement to food, water, shelter and not being tied up for more than 12 hours at a time). There are new paragraphs on guide dogs and sniffer dogs, too.

Responsibilities of animal owners towards other people are also still present in the law, and keeping your animals under control and clearing up after them, for example, are now enforceable by law.

The new law is at the same time wide-ranging, and quite specific, and should certainly help to encourage a change in people's perception of animals and their needs. The next step will be to set up the Pro-Animal Committees, which will be responsible for publicising the new law, and building education campaigns to raise people's awareness of the issues.

Anyone wanting to read the law can download a copy from the Congress website. It is only 24 pages, and written in a very accessible style. Go to www.cbcs.gob.mx and find the Compendio de Leyes. Click on Consultar and you will see a long list of all the recent legislation that has passed through Congress. The animal protection law is number 058.

Last edited by dean on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down