La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

local water issues

2 posters

Go down

local water issues Empty local water issues

Post by dean Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Here is my take on the water issue lately. a water main broke again is what originally happened, I drove down to see, it was by the water plant. Water was all over. It was bad timing for me because I am doing some repairs to my concrete water tank. My water line is before two of the main cutoffs to the north of me on the campground side so they never turn off my water as they do in some other areas. I also have a second plastic tinaca on my roof with 1 cubic meter. So I was fine as they were turning the water on at night and I use about 0.3 CM per day. Per US gov websites the average American uses from 25-50 gallons of water a day, assume same here in mexico as we continue with same patterns.

After they fixed the leak temporarily they worked on it more the next couple days. I did not investigate. So we had more outages during the day only.

Note they put in a 3 inch pvc water pipe in about a month ago. 3 inches is not large and they started in el sargento and did not split off anywhere except near shrimp factory from what I saw or heard. This tube is much smaller than the existing lines that currently supply us. they are building a platform in front of the shrimp factory where it is rumored will be a large water tank for people to fill jugs with if they want better quality water, they ran a line under the road with a 3 inch pipe to this spot.

A few days later after the break, not related to the break, I saw some people at the water treatment plant and stopped in. as most know my Spanish is close to nil. What I saw and they allowed my to do is look at all equipment, it is a complete de-sal/RO system of a mid sized scale. I did not see a UV sterilizer if it is needed, generally from well water it is not needed. The guys working told me it was almost finished a day or two to go. I could see they were just working on the electronics controls at this point. I asked how many people it was for, in my quanto personas spanglish. They understood my question but I could see puzzlement. So they, after thought came back and said tres cientos metros per dia. So it was a better answer about 300 cubic meters of water a day is the capacity. This is roughly enough for about 400 families if not using a ton of water. As we know many people are not metered.

Next I asked when it would be running since it was almost finished. They said they did not know, and that there had to be another well dug before they would up and operational. At least that is what my limited spanglish I understood they were telling me. Very nice guys.

Now because I am repairing my pila, I have been running off city pressure for awhile while diagnosing and taking corrective actions 1.5 months. So I have more observed data than normal. I use to be very high water pressure as of this year not really needing my water pump. But as of today (last few days) I do not have to use my water pump but the pressure is much lower than before.

Here is what my notes show, (yes I have a computer file with notes on water readings and notes from the month I bought my property 11 years ago, aren’t computers great.) on 5/13 the water was coming out white in appearance. But when it sat it was clear. So it has a ton of air in it. the next day not as bad, but in a clear glass the water bubbles settled on the sides which I had never seen. Because I have a water dissolved solids tester I tested the first day when it was white and it was now about 360 ppm this was amazing. Our water over the years except the two when we were getting LosPlanes water has been getting worst to go from 2000 ppm to about 3000 ppm. LosPlanes water was about 120ppm.

Right now our water is ok at 560ppm and you can tell when brushing your teeth. So I did a test, I have 3 tomato plants and watered them, normally I give them bottled water because our normal water kills them. After three days my plants show extra growth. IE they did not die, which the old water would do immediately, just a day or two.

So here is my guess on what is going on. They are giving us decent water for now on the main city lines till the new well is drilled (I asked the guys when that would be, I asked week, month, they gave me the I do not know gestures, and when I asked anyos they laughed and said you know Mexico; and they said they had no idea. So my guess is we may have decent water for a bit but do not get use to it. that once they get the new well dug and running they will move the good water to the three inch pipe which appears only the Mexican village area of El Sargento and LaVentana may get it. and all others not in those areas will be allowed to come fill jugs to get decent water, or all of us have to get jugs eventually, only the Lapaz water god really knows..

What this also can mean is since the villagers are getting other water that should open up water availability for 400 more homes, but not the good water. But we never know, maybe they will put less demand on the existing well that is getting worse.

Note that with good water you possibly can cut back about 50% on your watering of plants because it is able to absorb at a greater rate. Any plant gurus around to inform us? I have always used 2-3 inch pvc tubes in the ground with drip to minimize evaporation.

For some other trivia, I have read a desal plant uses 4KWHs of electricity for every 1 CM.

With the air that was in the water I decided to put an air separator in. But from what I can see it use to take about 17 cm to fill my water tank and this time with the air separator it took 14cms. So about a 20% savings, and as we know our bills are not linear so this can save a lot of money when you hit higher tiers. The air separator itself was $150 pesos, I found a really good one, I had bought a 100 peso one at a hardware store but it was not very good. Because I had most of the copper fittings I am not sure the entire project cost, but guess is about 400 pesos.

Picture below..

Last edited by dean on Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty Re: local water issues

Post by dean Mon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm

local water issues Air_se12

notes,

between the tee I used and the air separator, I used reducers to go to 1/2 from 3/4, you do not want to do this if possible. I did this because the fist air separator i found was only a 1/2 thread. But the new one was 1" so rather than start over I adapted.

You should use 3/4", so reduce the air separator from 1" threaded with a copper reducer to 3/4". then into the tee 3/4". Remember the Tee is 1/2" on two sides with the middle 3/4" and that is a critical part. I suggest if you are up north, you buy all copper parts up there and bring them with you.

The copper Union on the other side of the water meter is critical so you can have the air separator a vertical a possible. the attachment at the water meter has play to allow that side to line up properly. attach at the meter side first then tighten the copper union.

Last edited by dean on Wed May 19, 2010 9:08 am; edited 7 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed May 19, 2010 8:02 am

1 (cubic meter) = 264.172052 US gallons

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty high water bills?

Post by dean Wed May 19, 2010 9:17 am

high water bills?

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sq3.html

here is a site to estimate your water usage.

here are some numbers.

Your own per capita use: 72 gallons per day

Does 72 gallons sound about right for the day's activities you entered on the form? You probably realize that the number is only an estimate. First, we're not taking into account everything you use water for, such as cooking and dog washing. And, water use for all activites vary by individual. You might use five gallons to wash dishes by hand, but your sister might use ten. You might leave the water running when you brush your teeth, but your brother might not. If you live in a newer house, your toilet probably uses less water per flush than the toilet in a very old house. Newer houses also have shower and faucet heads that use less water than before (look at the end piece on your sink faucet -- it should have the number of gallons per minute that it will allow stamped in it).

Here are the numbers we used in our calculations:

Bath: 50 gallons
Shower: 2 gallons per minute
Teeth brushing: 1 gallon
Hands/face washing: 1 gallon
Face/leg shaving: 1 gallon
Dishwasher: 20 gallons/load
Dishwashing by hand: 5 gallons/load
Clothes washing (machine): : 10 gallons/load
Toilet flush: 3 gallons
Glasses of water drunk: 8 oz. per glass (1/16th of a gallon)

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty drilling

Post by dean Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:15 am

e. We are a new water well drilling company coming to the Los cabos area. We live in the East Cape area and will be performing all types of water drilling, desal, septic and plumbing related needs. We have an attorney in place in Cabo to help with the well permitting process .Please check out our website and feel free to contact us at anytime.
www.bajawaterwellsandservices.com or 208-661-5334

Last edited by dean on Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 am

here is Barriles water issues and how they are attempting to deal with it.

from BPE

would like to take a moment and address some of the issues regarding water service, or lack of, north of Los Barriles. Number one, as I write this the new pump is being installed but the problem out north is not with the pump nor with the water table as we have plenty of water. Originally the city water was put in by Sr. Juan Campos, the developer of Lomas de Pedregal, in order for him to be able to sell his lots. The city was of course happy to do this as Sr. Campos footed the bill. Once the water and power became available the area took off as can be seen today but the water company has done nothing but add branch lines and a bunch of shut off valves which have become the present problem. Not only is the system not engineered these valves are now turned on and off depending on which area has complained the loudest or whatever until recently some of the owners have discovered where the valves are located and which ones they have to close in order for them to get water. Due to the fact the community is 95% foreign the water co. in La Paz knows little of this situation. I have a couple of ideas that might help but need your help. Please let the water co. in La Paz hear your complaint by whatever means. Phone calls, letters, petition whatever. The head man in La Paz is, Ing. Germán Ignacio Ruiz Padilla and the phone number is 612-123-8600. Secondly pay attention and report anyone seen messing with the valves and if that doesn’t work they will have to be secured with chains and locks of which the community would probably have to supply! And finally, if those having problems could send me a short report once a week noting the times you have been without water so we can get an idea of the area’s most needing attention and I promise to deliver said reports personally to Ing. Ruiz in La Paz. If you would please put water in the subject line it will help me separate the mails easier. Thank you and let’s do it! Regards, Dennis
==============================================

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty Water Utility Regulation in Mexico: Lessons Shared at a Rece

Post by dean Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:56 am

http://warrington.ufl.edu/centers/purc/purcdocs/papers/0720_padowski_water_utility_regulation.pdf

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:54 am

http://www.paot.org.mx/centro/boletin/agosto/estadisticas_agua_mexico_07.pdf

mexico water study

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty What are PROFEPA and SEMARNAT and what do they do?

Post by dean Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 am

What are PROFEPA and 
SEMARNAT and what do they 
do?

This is taken from the English version of each website:
PROFEPA www.profepa.gob.mx
The Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection 
(PROFEPA - Procuradur√a Federal de Protecciƒn al 
Ambiente) was legally born on June 4th, 1992 as a 
division of the Ministry of Environment and Natural 
Resources (SEMARNAT - Secretar√a de Medio 
Ambiente y Recursos Naturales) with technical and 
operational autonomy.
MISSION
Seek environmental justice through the strict 
enforcement of the Law, banishing impunity, 
corruption, indolence and lack of authority, and 
involving all sectors of society and the three levels 
of Government in this fight, under the most pure 
principles of fairness and justice.

SEMARNAT Sets the policy: www.
semarnat.gob.mx
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources 
(Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales, 
Semarnat) is a federal government agency whose main 
purpose is to promote the protection, restoration and 
conservation of ecosystems and natural resources. 
PROFEPA is the enforcement arm of SEMARNAT.
http://www.bajacitizen.com/Editions/september52011.pdf

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:48 pm

baja western onion wrote:Water - When we first built our house, 3 miles north of Todos Santos 10 years ago, the city water filled our tinaco every night. We have a legal contract with the water company and a meter that indicates how much water we use. Now, we get water to our street once a week if we're really lucky, If you plan to build or buy a home in Todos Santos, please be aware of our fragile and over burdened water situation. Insist on a meter when installing a water tap. Be conservative in your water consumption. Thank you ☞ Jamie Stephens, cliffnjamies@hotxxxx.com

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:03 am

we have been having city water problems for the last week. Unconfirmed the pump had problems. but have had a few days without water, so you see the water trucks in action delivering water to many.

The last couple days when there is water the ppm measurement has been at 320ppm. So maybe they are mixing in the los planes water to a high degree. It has been a long time but i thought los planes water was under 100ppm.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Just a side note I grew up in the chicagoland area and our well water was high in TDS but not commonly referred to salt (NaCl). Lived in vegas and lake mead water is very high in TDS but not NaCl. And from what I have seen unless changed recently, the LV well water is high in total dissolved solids and has a lot of NaCl too.

The water coming from the RO plant I have not tested in a year or two was somewhere around 30ppm or less dissolved solids and only goes to the blue water storage tanks for free 5-gallon refills. From what I remember there is no-uv sterilization of it. Los Planes water that is piped into the town but not used from what I can recall was under 100ppm dissolved solids.

Our current dissolved solids reading of the city water is 2400ppm by my cheapy meter. It does not tell us what the NaCl level is. I do own a higher cost meter that does tell specific NaCl levels but it is a pain to calibrate. Reminds me of taking Chemistry in college. I can hunt for it if critical, but you will not enjoy calibrating it. I used it when we had Los Planes water for the 2 years we had it.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:24 am

my take on water issues here, a repy to a concerned person on facebook.  

Not a water enginner here, just an curious one, I understand you concern when they are talking about cabo and LaPaz water issues. But we are no cabo . if you consider we have more mountain runoff potential by far with the san antonio range coming our way vs LaPaz. Just our mountains towards LaPaz, if you are here during the summer you see the rain clouds not give us a drop but ride the mountain tops from san Antonio all the way to LaPaz giving us our water supply. From my anecdotal perspective, these clouds when going to LaPaz do not give our side of the mountain range a proportionate share. My wild guess is we receive about 1/6 the rain /water supply LaPaz gets from that range. If LaPaz can support 400,000 we should be able to do 1/10th 1/20 of that just from our side of that mountain range. Los Cruzes could get about the same as us from the mountain topography but maybe less because the clouds do not follow their direction.

Our issue is we are not a high priority in the scale of things, and why would we be. Someday we can hope that they put an underground catch basin right where the arroyo ends at the mountain and that water is piped down to us. This would be such low dissolved solids, (I have tested it before). They would need to place a water tank holding system because that water pressure would be so high. One could even put in a mini-electrical generating plant in line to make use of this energy. And note no water pump would be needed so even after hurricanes we would have water pressure. Right now all that water is just going to the ocean, pure torture to me.

A bit of water history, many years ago they put in a water pipe from Los Planes and that water was amazing, they still send some water through these pipes but when they put in the desal plant they stopped sending that water around town, just a few people receive it now.. That water if I remember was about 40-60 ppm of dissolved solids. The last 10 or so years we have been between 2000ppm and 3000ppm of dissolved solids from our local well. Now that they opened a new well here in town last summer we are at 1100ppm and 1500ppm at the two wells.

From what I can tell the rain that falls up in San Antonio may be equal to what falls in the mountain that supports LaPaz. So this reserve is used for farming which is the most water consumption by magnitudes. Farming in deserts takes a lot of water, but heck they have so much water there running into the ocean being wasted like the water from our mountains is presently wasted. I once had the opportunity to check a Los Planes farmers well and it was amazing 10 feet below ground level. That is incredible.
So long term we do have untapped resources and second to that since we are in growth 30 years lagging LaPaz or Cabo, we will be able to make use of what they find as alternative sources.
so don't panic just yet...

Last edited by dean on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 pm

local water issues Water11

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:03 pm

local water issues Annota12

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:01 am

I have a dream, came up with idea maybe 15 years  ago while hiking up in the arroyo where it turns into a valley/canyon cliffy to waterfalls.      At the beginning put in a underground dam with piping down the hill to a holding tank with a water turbine that generates electricity.     This solves issues during hurricanes where we do not have water and electricity.    Depending on the amount of electricity generated power all the town or part.    If part aim for the businesses with large cooler sections and allow local people to bring their food to stay there or a place locals can bring there refrigerators to keep their food in.       this water should be much better quality and the water company would not have to pay for electricity to pump the water, pay for pumps, maintenance and so on saving them lots of money. The underground dam would be right before the Rancho Cacachilas property.      

Also at the very bottom after the inline generator, if there is excess overflow of the dam the water can be run into a community water park that draws in the summer LaPaz tourists when the water demand of the village is at its lowest.   Very similar to the San Bartolo water pools.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:46 pm

https://www.bcibaja.org/en/white-papers?fbclid=IwAR1Fp8ZXmXBvJgp1k6j003vY0e5PSjspOjsUzjeNVXXs-iksSAcnmWAfxMY

local water issues WATER+REPORT+MAP

WHITE PAPERS
BCI HAS LAUNCHED THE FIRST OF A SERIES OF WHITE PAPERS THAT REVIEW ALL RECENT AND CREDIBLE RESEARCH ON ISSUES CRITICAL TO THE EASTERN CAPE.
Part of BCI’s mission is to share relevant research with the public, business, and policy influencers.  BCI translates academic and technical research into everyday language that can be consumed more easily, making it available to more people.

Similar to the Pew White Papers, these summaries will serve as reference materials for government officials, non-profits, business developers, researchers, and students; motivating important meetings and impacting smart policy making in the area.

BCI is proud to announce that our  “Water in the Eastern Cape” paper has been released this year. BCI partnered with Legacy Works on this research.

Legacy Works is a non-profit organization that helps communities, agencies, other nonprofits, and funders achieve important conservation and resilience goals. International Community Foundation is our other key partner.

This research project explores the availability of fresh water in the four aquifers that lie between San Jose and La Paz on the eastern cape.

WATER REPORT MAP.jpg
The report focuses on this under-studies region because it is under pressure to develop large tourist centers and to perhaps re-initiate mining. These activities have a significant impact on the availability and the pollution of fresh water.  

In order to plan for this kind of development, a review of what scientific research existed and what it told us about the need to plan for the future was needed. The report on this research ran over 300 pages and will provide the most comprehensive summary of the existing research done to date for this region.

IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_20150118_202239.jpg
IMG_3011.jpg
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_4822.jpg
DONWLOAD THE WATER IN THE EASTERN CAPE REPORT IN ENGLISH HERE

A stakeholder meeting will be convened on the topic shortly after publication, and BCI will use this valuable information to try and motivate smart policy for the East Cape in matters of preserving our vital liquid´s sources.

THE SAME PROCESS WILL CONTINUE ON THE REST OF OUR PRIORITY TOPICS LIST:
Water treatment, desalination and how to increase water capture and retention in the region.

The definition of sustainable development on the East Cape.

The economic value of the ecosystem services in the area such as fishing, tourism, coastal protection.

New models for sustainable tourism that maximizes quality jobs and revenue for Mexico.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:51 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/62086204895/permalink/10162451367964896/

admin
admin
Admin

http://www.laventana.rocks

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 pm

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ccbbf090cf57df0c3feb6c0/t/60d5186a9f0da7031c68ff4a/1624578173563/WATER+East+Cape+report+BCI_LWG.pdf

dean

Back to top Go down

local water issues Empty Solar water heater tube type and RV pump for water presure

Post by dean Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:52 am

my experience in testing is los planes water very low dissolved solids. The two wells in Lv-es very high dissolved solids, anywhere from 2000ppm to 3000 ppm. high Salt level included. i grew up in the suburbs of chicago, we had 2000ppm dissolved solids but no NaCl so water softeners were effective.

I have city water, I have moved from 20 years ago from expensive instant ons $700.00 on up that never worked well and had a friend a plumber see if I was missing something, he could not get it to work on a 2HP water pump either.   I even tried hacking into the electronics to get it to work better, no go.   I did notice from the companies web page they offered two models for the usa the ones for the cold north and ones for the southern usa.    Even changing the settings internally which they do not reccomend could not get it to kick on properly.    But the point is they do have specific models for colder incoming water.    

So now i use about the smallest lowest cost USD$100.00 instant ons that seem to work better, they last 5 years. I have also downsized my water pumps from 2hp as they would only last 3 years due to our salty water, to to using the lower cost RV ones also USD$100.00 that are nearly corrosion resistant, just not high pressure or high volume, they last about 3 years too but take 15minutes to swap out.  These are the same boats RVs that cost even in the 100k range so we can live with that.    

Another benefit to the RV pumps is if a hurricane hits I have both AC powered and DC i can switch over to a dc powered one in no time and hook it to a car battery and recharge the battery every couple days and have full water pressure, such a relief when you do not have power for a few weeks. A 2HP one required a generator that is very large, intial start up power is 3 times the rated running current, so 10 amp start up required a generator to be at least 5kW. I run 2KW diesel ones that can take a start up of about double the rating for a bunch of seconds. .

I have also moved to a low pressure solar heater (bought at HD) at one building that seems to be handling the salt water, (it is so hot that I circulate it through a old boiler water heater that no longer works) the high pressure solar water heaters like at home depot that use copper for transferring the heat i am confident would dissolve in a year or two. I am on year three with the experiment. This seems about the best, have only had to switch over to instant on about 3 days each winter.

buy the rv pumps in the USA off amazon, and bring them down. The low pressure solar water heaters are at Home Depo and El Arco. These Low pressure water solar tube water heaters are gravity fed by a water tank like one on the roof. The sell high pressure and low pressure, the price in the high pressure is about 30-50% higher. You need to use the cpvc high temperature piping leading to it and after it as that water is really really hot,

here are two water pumps I have bought and  i recommend, one does not have the cord attached, but very easy so add that (easy for me as an Engineer). Both are well recognized brands in the RV and boating industry. these are the 120VAC versions, I also have the 12VDC versions for hurricanes or just general power outages.  You still want a water pressure tank in line after these that are sold at El Arco and HD.
https://www.amazon.com/SEAFLO-Industrial.../dp/B076TGWYDK...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001FAA5Y?psc=1...

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:22 am

https://legacyworksgroup.com/

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e83bcab9fe1492fdf91c4d9/t/5e9fd537e000e4346af8ebd8/1587533114431/impact-of-large-scale-projects.pdf

local water issues Screen51
local water issues Screen50

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Tue May 09, 2023 11:40 am

https://venenoenmiagua.datacritica.org/?fbclid=IwAR0TCgEdURjzcobcmoLrSz39kWads4w0TrxJWIefWLlg90lefIOw4m9RDBQ
admin
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:31 am

I kind of dispute these two findings that it is the mining that is the cause of the arsenic levels in todos santos, los planes, El Triunfo, San Antonio. They left out LaVentana and do not explain our high levels as we did not have a processing plant.

Also note the east side of Los Planes does have lower levels of arsenic than the west side.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5876982/?fbclid=IwAR2sLixLdHFLQr6DZ7eV8GcgyhqWqyQK_uCKw5trFUdE9fEkFAEUh8iS4gs

http://defiendelasierra.org/wp-content/uploads/Arsenic-content-and-groundwater-geochemistry-of-the-San-Antonio-El-Triunfo-Carrizal-and-Low-Planes-quaifers-in-southernmost-Baja-CA-MX.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1mKQEHMAGFvL4W8zxQe2TZB-2FwKPezdAioEfWE4o0RX_f0taG8AAVFiM

admin
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down