La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water

2 posters

Go down

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Empty Re: items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water

Post by admin Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:51 pm

from NYT,
What can I do to prepare for a hurricane as it approaches?
As a hurricane approaches your region, think about your household supplies.

The Food and Drug Administration recommends switching your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest settings and moving fridge items to the freezer so they will stay cold longer if the power goes out. Even in a power failure, a tightly packed freezer can stay cold for 48 hours. If you can’t fit everything into the freezer, add containers of ice to the fridge.

Keep thermometers in the fridge and freezer so you can check the temperature when you return. Anything that has remained at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit is safe to eat. Move pantry items and a supply of bottled water to high, secure shelves so they will be safe from floodwaters.

Next, take stock of household hazards.

Look for any potentially dangerous substances, like bleach, ammonia and drain cleaners. Check in the garage. Make sure all lids are tightly closed, and move these items to high shelves, as far from potential flooding as possible. Chemicals that mix into floodwaters can be hazardous to your health or cause fires and explosions.

Move all electronics, small appliances, portable heating systems and other items with wires to upper levels and high shelves — as far away from water as possible. If you have a generator, keep it away from moisture. (Never use it inside or plug it into a wall outlet.)

Last, consider the exterior of your home.

Trim and safely dispose of tree branches, which can fall during hurricane winds or become projectiles if they are left on the ground. Secure rain gutters and downspouts, and clear clogged areas that could stop water from draining from your property. Move bikes, trash cans, outdoor furniture, grills, tanks and building materials to a secure spot, either inside or tied down outside, as these can fly in high winds. Board up your windows to prevent leaks and broken glass, and, where necessary, secure doors with storm shutters.

Shop windows were boarded up in Boquerón, P.R., in anticipation of Tropical Storm Dorian in 2019.Credit...Ramon Espinosa/Associated Press

June 29, 2022
Tara Parker-Pope

What should my ‘go bag’ contain?
This article was originally published in the subscriber-only Well newsletter.

No matter where you live, every home should have a “go bag” and a “stay bin.” The go bag is what you grab when you have to leave the house in a hurry, whether to get to the emergency room or to evacuate because of a fire or a hurricane. The stay bin is a two-week stash of essentials to be used in case you have to hunker down at home without power, water or heat.

Credit...Eden Weingart
The hardest part about creating a go bag is getting started. Grab a zipper storage bag and add your passports, birth certificates and other important documents. Then add an extra pair of eyeglasses (if needed), a phone charger, emergency cash and a list of important phone numbers. Add some face masks, too, which can help if you are fleeing a fire or a chemical spill.

Once you’ve collected the basics, consider using a backpack or duffel bag to hold a few more items, such as a flashlight, batteries, a small first aid kit and a small supply of your essential medications. Pack a few water bottles and granola bars in preparation for a traffic jam on the evacuation route. A simple whistle to get others’ attention can also be a helpful addition.

If you have a baby, add diapers, wipes, bottles, formula and baby food to your go bag. If you have pets, add leashes, portable bowls, some pet food and copies of veterinary records.

Credit...Eden Weingart
In the event that you need to stay put instead of flee, keep a stay bin in your home. Use a large plastic bin or a similar container to set aside the essential items for a two-week period. The stay bins should contain bottled water, nonperishable food, pet food, toilet paper and personal hygiene supplies. Flashlights, lanterns, candles, lighters and firewood are important to have on hand, too. A battery-powered or hand-crank weather radio, as well as a solar charger, will help you cope with power outages. Extra blankets are useful, as are duct tape, a multipurpose tool, trash bags, hand wipes and sanitizer. If your prescription plan allows it, order an extra supply of your medications to have in case of an emergency.

The website Ready.gov has a checklist  https://www.ready.gov/kit to help you build your stay bin, and the American Red Cross has more advice https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies.html on emergency preparedness. Pick and choose the items that make sense for your family.

admin
admin
Admin

http://www.laventana.rocks

Back to top Go down

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Empty Re: items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water

Post by dean Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:28 pm

have at least a pail of water if just one person so you can have multiple toilet flushes. fill a small garbage can and have a bucket for multiple. I have a tank of water on the roof for gravity feed in case power goes down.

make sure you have drinking water in good supply

make sure you have a mop and squeegee inside and bucket.

make sure your car fuel tank is filled.

make sure you have a supply of fuel for generators

make sure you have dry foods, and canned food fruits and so on

fill your fridge and freezer with gallon water jugs to increase the energy load in them and set them at the coldest you can 1-2 days before.

get the cooler ready and buy ice the day before and once we lose power have the immediate items in the cooler and do not open the fridge or freezer till you are ready to start the generator soon. Test and change the oil of the generator the days before the hurricane.

A Category 4 hurricane like John was is not a pleasant experience.

As time goes make sure you have switch out fridges and air conditioners are inverter ones, they are much more gentle on generators.

if we lose power shut off your breakers till we have power from CFE again.

I ue RV and Boat water pumps for my property, you figure they are half a million dollar rv and boats they might be good. Well they are and I run off a 120VAC CFE power normally, but if we lose power for extended time, (we are generally last to get power back in baja normally) I hook up the RV 12dc to a batter and charge the batter every couple days so alays have water pressure. Plus I do have 2 water tanks high up to give backup water.

I always charge all my tool batteries before the hurricane. I use these for portable fans and flashlights shop lights. 1 4ah ryobi battery will power their small fan on low setting all night as that is generally all you need as the temp outside is generally cool enough after a hurricane.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:10 pm

after the hurricane if we had rain, because of the horizontal 100mph winds water collects in the strangest places.

So make sure all standing water in garbage cans, pots, containers are removed as we will have mosquitoes aegis aegypti mosquitoes which can transmit dengue. I also learned through time, If people will screen off septic tank vents and house stink vents which i figured out/ discovered 23 years ago the dengue mosquito breeds in septic tanks. Beat the scientists by about 12 years.

So with time have learned about 10 years ago that birds peck on a single screen making a hole that mosquitos can escape through. So offset the two screens as much as you can where my guestimate is 1/2 inch is all that is needed.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:57 am

Here is a list of things to get prepared, will update it as time goes.

Make sure your drinking water bottles are full. Your water tanks are full. make sure you have the fuel for the generator and your car gas tank full too. For next one, Put soda bottles full of water in fridge and freezer at least 2 days before. this is to reduce the cycling of the fridge when you go to generator and so nice to have chilly water. Buy some water squeegees. Food was only a problem in Odile as it was not projected to come so people did not stock up beforehand. Well even drinking water was a problem in cabo for a day or two also. Remember the gas station cannot pump fuel when they do not have power. And we are low on the totem pole for services restored since we have such a small population.

make sure you set the freezer and fridge to their coldest settings. and leave it that way when running your generator. This prevents start up spikes, though fridges with linear compressors are designed to prevent this.

Charge all batteries, and I have a ryobi set of power tools and batteries, they make a small fan that I strongly recommend so you can have a fan on you all night. This is also helpful if you end up sleeping outdoors so the mosquitos do not get to you as bad during regular power outages. The small battery for the ryobi is good for about 5 hours and the larger 3Ah one is good all night no problem at low power. Make sure you have the batteries and fan in the bedroom with flashlights. and candles if you want. I have several lights that are battery backed up that turn on with power failures.

I have a 12v DC battery to 120AV little base unit that provides power for my computer phone internet for about 4-9 hours a great device before you hit the generator. this is the one I have.
https://www.batterychargers.com/en/products/mobile-electronics/sbp1-storm-700-backup-power-system Schumacher SBP1 55Ah Rechargeable AGM Portable Power Generator Emergency Power Station with 700W AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter

I prefer a diesel generator. due to reliability and life time of them. If you have a propane one, it may not match its ratings due to I do not believe we have propane, maybe butane. Also if you have a higher end propane one make sure you buy a filter for it.

dean

Back to top Go down

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Empty from US embassy in Mexico

Post by dean Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 am

Weather Update - U.S. Embassy, Mexico (June 12, 2019)
Event: Mexico’s hurricane season for the Atlantic basin and Eastern Pacific is underway. The season formally runs until November 30, 2019, though historically most cyclones develop between July and October. Hurricanes and tropical storms may cause life-threatening flash flooding, dangerous winds, treacherous surf and rip currents, and other hazardous conditions. Torrential rains from these storms can cause flooding hundreds of miles inland, sometimes persisting for several days after the storm has dissipated.
In the aftermath of a storm, there may be widespread damage to infrastructure (such as roads, electricity, and phone and internet service) and serious shortages of habitable accommodations, food, water, and medical facilities. Storms can result in airport closures or limited flight availability due to runway or terminal damage and a shortage of electricity. U.S. citizens in affected regions may face delays returning home, and may even need to stay in emergency shelters with limited food, water, medicine, and other supplies.
Actions to Take:
If you are a U.S. Citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
Ensure your U.S. travel documents are up-to-date, and store copies of them along with insurance and other personal papers in a safe place. Keep them in a watertight plastic bag or container for extra protection.
For those living in Mexico, prepare your family’s emergency hurricane kit to include essential items you might need for at least 72 hours following a storm if you were unable to access outside resources. Kits might include batteries, flashlights, nonperishable food, and water. Don’t forget to consider prescription medications and any other supplies for children, elderly family members, or pets.
Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican Civil Protection Agency (“Protección Civil”) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
If a storm watch or warning is issued, monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
Keep your friends and loved ones up-to-date about your whereabouts – via phone, text, social media, etc. – and let them know you are safe when possible.
Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.

Assistance:
U.S. Embassy in Mexico City
01-55-8526-2561 (From Mexico)
1-844-528-6611 (From the United States)
Acsmexicocity@state.gov

State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Mexico Country Information

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow U.S. Department of State Travel.gov on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow U.S. Embassy Mexico City on Facebook and Twitter.

dean

Back to top Go down

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Empty Hurricane Preparedness Checklist

Post by dean Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:22 pm

https://hub.associaonline.com/ebooks/hurricane-preparedness-checklist?fbclid=IwAR2A9UWws985qdDD8nUyshtwzRbL6zsuUrch2kBJnFn9ZYyn4Bw4CNMUE2w

Hurricane Preparedness Checklist

https://hub.associaonline.com/ebooks/2019-hurricane-guide

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:02 am

facebook wrote:Everyone should know where the safest place in the house is, a specific meeting place in the event you get separated, and an out-of-state contact person to help coordinate if needed. You should also decide where you will go if instructed to evacuate, what you will bring with you, and how to secure your home in your absence. All disaster plans should include provisions for your pets as well.

Every household should also have a disaster kit. It doesn’t have to be huge, but at minimum, your kit ought to include:

• A basic First-Aid Kit. You should also keep a list of any prescription medicines handy so you don’t forget to include them in the kit in case you need to refill them.

• Potable water: A gallon per day per person for a few days is a good rule of thumb.

• Food: Non-perishable items that don’t require cooking. Remember things like can openers, paper plates, cups, plastic knives, trash bags, etc…

• Flashlights/Candles: Remember to pack extra batteries and matches!

• Blankets and Extra Clothes: You need extras of everything just in case someone needs something dry to put on or it gets really chilly.

• No-Wash Hand Sanitizer/Baby or Cleansing wipes, and whatever else you think your family might not be able to do without for a few days.

Spend some time keeping your family safe by developing a strategy for safety in the unlikely event of a hurricane. Then you can get back to the business of enjoying your time in Paradise.

dean

Back to top Go down

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Empty items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water

Post by dean Tue May 19, 2015 2:55 pm

I recommend the honda or yamaha line of quiet generators if you can deal with lower power requirements.  

Diesel are generally the longest lasting, but my honda EU1000 lasted 10 years and well over 1000 hours.    My cheapy chinese ones only lasted 2 seasons of use.     good diesel should last 4000 hours to 8000 hours.   

here is a propane conversion kit for the honda EU2000 
https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-eu2000-tri-fuel-conversion.html

items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water Honda-EU2000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to backfeed your home with a generator

http://www.tcscooters.com/backfeed.htm

Notes: the reference website has pictures.   

we tend to only run it 8-14 hours a day.   So set your ac and fridge/freezer to the coldest settings you can which minimizes the motor compressor on/off cycling resulting issues of peak power.    

Always shut off all the circuit breakers when refueling and when turning off .   Do the same procedure for turning various items on again and always start with the motors compressors/ac that are the largest first giving it time to start up.    Then also note some newer fridges delay the compressor start up when power is applied o minimize initial power demand surges to protect home devices.    So give your fridge a few minutes before turning on the next devices specially with generators under 1500 watts.   

also for baja with bad gas, filter the gas with a water separator filter that are common at boat stores before putting the gas into the generator.  

So you want to know how to back feed your home with a portable generator during a hurricane or other power outage.
Backfeeding is very dangerous. It is also a code violation. The recommend way is to use a transfer switch and or a licensed electrician.
But I know that most people will wait until a hurricane has already come and they are without power. So they'll try and do it themselves. In hope that this page may help save someone's life when they need the power and cannot get a licensed electrician, like a hurricane, I am posting this page. If you still choose to backfeed be sure to read What To Do When the Power Comes On.
If you are going to backfeed your home, you must be very carefully and follow the directions below. If you fail to follow them you can kill a line worker, kill yourself or blow up your generator. Again I'll say, get a licensed electrician.
Step One, the most important step of all is to turn off the main breakers.
Step two, turn off the main breakers.
Step three, turn off the main breakers. Do you get the idea?
Step four, remember to plug the generator end in last. If the generator is running and you are using two male ends the house end plug is live!

Step one, The first thing you will need to know if you refuse to get a licensed electrician is how many amps of continuous power your generator is capable of producing. 1000 Watts at 120 volts = about 8.3 amps. You also need to know what each appliance or electrical item you plan on running uses. You do not want to overload the generator, you'll burn it out or worse, ruin your appliances, so get a licensed electrician.
Step two , find your circuit breaker panel box. Turn off the main breakers. They are normally at the top and are marked "Main". They are normally 100, 150 or 200 amp breakers with a connect bar connecting the two of them together. The main breaker looks like a 240 volt breaker, but slightly larger. If you cannot determine which breakers are the main breakers, do not continue. There is no second guessing. Get a licensed electrician.
Once the mains are off, turn off all the other breakers in the panel box. DO NOT START THE GENERATOR until all connections are complete. Never turn on the main breakers when the generator is connected to your house.
Step three , determine the location you are going to operate your generator at. It cannot be in a garage, under or near a window, nor in your home. It must be outside and far away enough so that the exhaust fumes cannot enter the home. Once you determine the location the generator will be used, you need to determine how far away the source of back feeding will be.
Step four , you must calculate the amount of amps or watts that you plan on using with the generator. You cannot exceed the units total continuous power. Every 1000 watts is about 8 amps.
(watts / volts= amps or 1000 watts/ 120 volts= 8.3 amps). You cannot put more than 15 amps on any leg of the generator. Each wall outlet on the generator is a leg, even though it as two plugs inlets. A wall outlet has two inlets, it looks just like an outlet receptacle in your home. Each 240 plug on the generator has two legs, two 120 volt lines. Appliances that are rated at 110 volts will draw more amps but less watts (1000 / 110 = 9 amps). Each 120 volt wall outlet will produce 15 amps. That is 30 amps that can be drawn from two wall outlets on a generator. The 30 Amp 240 will produce 15 amps on each leg of the 240 line, that's another 30 amps.

Note: some generators have a 30 amp 125 volt plug. This is equal to the two wall outlets, but not equal to a 30 amp 240 volt outlet. You cannot run any 220 volt appliances with a generator that has a 30 amp 125 volt plug.
Step four , now you need to know how you will backfeed from the generator. The first thing you must do is determine the method you can use with your generator.

• Does your generator have one wall outlet, enough outlets to plug two extension cord in? Use method 1

• Does your generator produce less than 3000 watts of continuous power? Use method 1

• Does your generator have 2 wall outlets, enough to plug 4 extension cords in and no 240 volt plug and produce at least 3000 watts? Use method 4

• Does your generator have 2 wall outlets and a 30 amp 125 volt plug? Use method 5

• Does your generator have both a 240 volt plug and two wall outlets, and produces less than 7000 watts but more than 4000 watts of continuous power? Use method 2

• Does your generator have both, a 240 volt plug and two 120 wall outlets and produces 7000 watts or more of continuous power? Use method 3

Method 1: I suggest that you use extension cords to power up your refrigerator and a few lights. Forget about backfeeding. You must use the correct size wire in your extension cords, and they should be as short as possible. The longer the extension cord the greater the voltage drop. A 16 gauge line should not carry more than 9 amps. A 14 gauge extension cord should not carry more than 15 amps, and 12 gauge can carry up to 20 amps. Do not attempt to back feed using any of these extension cords. Do not over load the generator by powering up more than the unit can handle.
Method 2: If your generator cannot produce at least 7000 watts of continuous power, your unit cannot produce 60 amps or more. If you have a 240 volt plug you can use the following method and the amount of amps your unit can produce over 60 can be placed on extension cords; see method 1. If your unit is less than 7000 watts you can only use method 2. Purchase some 10/2 or gauge wire long enough to reach from the generator to your dryer outlet, or other 220/240 appliance outlet. Ten gauge wire can carry up to 30 amps on the Black wire and 30 amps on the White wire. Wire the 10 gauge wire to the 240 volt plug; placing the Black wire on the brass colored screw, the White wire to the Silver colored screw, the bare wire to the Green screw. You will also need to purchase a 240 plug that can be plugged into your dryer outlet, or other 220/240 appliance outlet. If you do not have a 220/240 outlet appliance you will need to wire the line directly to a 220/240 circuit breaker.
Note: the Black wire will be circuit A and the White will be circuit B.
If you generator produces 5000 watts or more and has a 240 volt plug you can use this method plus method 1 up to the limit of your unit. A 5000 watt unit can produces about 42 amps. Do not attempt to run more items than your generator can handle.
Method 3: If your generator has at least 7000 watts of continuous power than you can use method 2 plus method 1. You unit produces at least 58 to 60 amps. Do not attempt to back feed using more than one method. Use a single method to back feed and power up other items using extension cords directly from the generator.
If you unit is less than 7000 watts, use method 2 and you can also use method 1 for appliances or lights if your generator produces more than 7000 watts. Do not exceed the unit total wattage.
Method 4:You must remember that if you backfeed through an extension cord the total length of the line is the house wiring plus the length of the extension cord. The longer the line the more the voltage drop. Do not attempt to back feed using more than one method. Use the shortest extension cords possible.
Purchase two 12 gauge extensions cords no longer than needed. The first extension cord will need to be long enough to reach from the generator to the closest wall outlet in your home. The second extension cord length will be determined when we located Circuit A and Circuit B. Also purchase two male ends to be attached to these extension cords. Cut off the female ends and install a new male end to the cord you cut. You now have a cord with two male ends. The Black wire gets wired to the Brass colored screw, the White wire goes to the Silver screw and the Green wire goes to the Green screw. You will not be able to run any appliances that are 240 volt with this method.
Method 5:If you have a 30 amps 125 volt plug you can use either method 4 or the following, but not both. You can also use method 1 for appliances or lights if your generator produces more than 4000 watts. Do not exceed the units total wattage. This method will NOT make 220 power.
You will need to purchase 10/3 wire, long enough to reach from the generator to a 240 volt plug. You will also need to purchase a 220/240 plug that can be plugged into your dryer outlet, or other 220/240 appliance outlet. If you do not have a 220/240 outlet appliance you will need to wire the line directly to a 220/240 circuit breaker.
To wire 220 plug (the dryer), wire the Black wire to the Brass colored screw in the plug. The White goes to the Silver screw, the Green wire to the Green screw and the bare wire to the Black or ground screw. This will put 15 amps on each leg. To wire the 3 prong 125 Plug (generator plug), wire the Black and White wire to the Brass colored screw, the Green wire to the Green Screw and the Bare to the Ground. Click on the below image to enlarge.items for hurricane, prepare like generators, water 220plug

Once you have determined which method you will be using, and plan on using extension cords to backfeed, you need to know how. You cannot not backfeed using both method 3 and method two, you will blow up the generator. With no cords plugged into the generator, and ALL circuit breakers of, INCLUDING THE MAINS, turn off or unplug all appliances, TVs, computers, lights and anything else that is electric. Place one extension cord into the 120 volt wall outlet that you plan on using to back feed your home and the other end into the generator's 120 volt outlet. Start the generator let it warm up. Turn on all the single 15 or 20 amp circuit breakers. Do not urn on any 240 volt breakers(double breakers), or the main breaker. With a lamp or test light, go around the house plugging the lamp into each outlet, until you find all the outlet that works.
As you find ALL the outlets that work, write a list of the ones that work. This will be circuit A, label the list circuit A. The outlets that do not work will be labeled Circuit B.
Turn off the generator and than unplug the extension cord from both ends. Remember to turn off the generator before unplugging the extension cord you made! Now you will need an extension cord with the two male ends long enough to reach from the generator to the closest outlet that did not work, our Circuit B.
You are now ready to using your generator during a power outage or hurricane.

• Turn off the Main circuit breakers

• Turn off all circuit breakers

• Make sure the Main breakers are Off

• Plug one cord into Circuit A from one of the wall outlets on the generator.

• Plug the second cord into the other wall outlet on the generator and into Circuit B.

• Turn off or unplug all appliances that the generator cannot support

• Start the generator, let it warm up

• Turn on one single 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker at a time. Wait about 5 seconds before turning on the next breaker.

• If you back fed with 240 volts and have a 240 volt appliance to run turn it on last.

What To Do When the Power Comes On
When you are sure the power is available from the power company, you need to turn off the generator first. Unplug the extension cords from both the generator and house. Unplug any backfeed line you used. Now double check that all lines as disconnected form the house and generator. Now triple check the lines, are you sure they are disconnected?
Ok, they are disconnected. Turn off all breakers, than turn on the Main breakers and than turn the rest of the curcuit breakers back on on at a time. Allow several seconds between each breaker turn on.

Last edited by dean on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down