La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

2 posters

Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Empty Re: new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:14 am

I have a new website for this venture at www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com

dean

Back to top Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Empty Re: new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 am

another coke bottle trap with success.  this one was in my second outdoor kitchen.  I had found a garbage can that was not being used had water from the hurricane and mosquito larvae once I removed that location in a few days they must have laid eggs in the coke bottle.  

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0313
new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0314

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 pm

I now tried some coke bottle side entry traps, and I have caught a mosquito in it.    

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0312

I also purchased some lure to use to expedite my testing, but it does not seem to attract mosquitos, well the AE one that is.  .

and I have come up with a way to make the traps a lot easier. Before they were difficult. I bought some wood molding that was a quarter of a solid rod. And glues two sets if two together. and then put the screen across the center and then wind the screen around the rod. it stays taught and I tack it together with hot glue. Then remove it and seal it properly. I believe I can now make about 4 times more per hour with this method. Before it took me about 15 minutes each and they were not consistent. There look good.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:07 pm

OK I have still been catching the mossys with my traps, and since it is working I filed for a patent and now can show you how to make your own.     I only showed pictures before that you could not tell what I was doing that was patentable.  But now that it is patent pending here is how to do it.  I created a website to show it.   If you can make a few of these and send me pictures and updates I would appreciate it.    I have found a new lure that they say absolutely works for this mosquito so this could give a different kind of result meaning the one-way trap is good for not only egg laying cycle but also the biters.    I should have that lure in a week to 10 days.   Now one note I have not put this trap out to test in numbers yet.    This one is the easiest for do it yourselfers to make.  

here is how you can do it yourself.   DIY under 10 cents a trap.   I hope to make a video in the near future.    you need 3 liter coke bottles, aluminum screen and hot glue.

http://www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com/how_it_works/diy_do_it_yourself

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:55 pm

I made a trap with octanol, and as I read the package it says heat is needed to release it. Crap... So went online to find the heat needed as I have infrared thermometers. And hit this article that says Octanol actually repels the AE mosquito. I will find out as this afternoon there was a hatching nearby as I have a lot of mosquitos.

http://www.alcs.ch/mosquito-attractants.html

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:06 am

in another trap that had some dead mosquitos noticed some larvae action so that is two of them now with larvae action..

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I found 4 more mosquitos in my traps today.  all of these I cleaned the water.    Plus in one of the containers it now has a bunch of larvae, which means it was a end for that one to not bite again if it had a disease which is the critical issue she would be dead because she seeked the water to lay her eggs.  

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV 2016-029

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV 2016-031

here is a live mossy
new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV 2016-030

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:05 am

obviously I have had to stop my testing with a hurricane hitting.

In that time last sunday a new town resident Floyd from 5 blocks away brought down some black screen i bought.

and today my new neighbor brought down some octanol and some lactic acid. The octenol and lactic acid are mosquito attractants for the biting stage.

in a week to 2 weeks we should have a mosquito explosion in LaVentana. My estimate is we had about 1 inch of rain.

I also have 50 gallons of rain water to use as egg laying attractant.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:56 pm

no mosquito caught today

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:44 am

yesterday no mossys caught today 1

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 am

today no mossy catches. gathered some swill water from neighbors pool.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:28 am

another two wild mosquitoes dead today, one in the new trap that has an opening from the side.

Today and I have changed the water on 3 traps to be my water from my accumulated AC , I have read an article about AE avoidance of salt in water which we are high in, they had been laying eggs in the turtle water but that may have been because they no choice. They used distilled water and it worked fine, now my water the ac distilled water may have higher copper metal ions in it because of how a ac unit works. Copper could be a repellant.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:57 pm

another two wild mosquitoes found dead in my traps.

in the new design another one alive not able to escape. more will hatch soon. then I will reverse it to see how many escape. This is a much easier design.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:49 am

I have my newest version of trap out testing, and it has caught 2 mosquitos in the last day, this one is different in it is easier to make skill level and time wise.   This one is next to a couch that is outdoors.      This one also has a piece of recycled tire material for a top shield.     These that I am catching in theory are ones looking for water for their part of their lifecycle.

I am also testing this new style of trap via my two bottle arrangement for escape potential with mossys that are hatching.

I still do not have any mosquito attractant to test if I can also get them during the biting phase of their life.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 pm

today I cleaned the water in the traps because it is too difficult to determine fresh captures.  I had one more trap catch one mosquito.  

The octanol did not make it down yet so can not test using a lure for that part of the life cycle.    

I filtered the water with a screen for filtering vegetable oil for running with diesel engines in a 5 gallon bucket filtered to 75 microns.    And cleaned the containers.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:15 pm

one note,  this is only for the aedes egypti mosquito at the present time.    The mosquito that carries Zika, dengue and chikungunya. It may work for many types but this is the only one it is tested for.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:36 pm

I need a couple volunteers to test some traps if you have mosquito problems. For now just my area LV, and next anywhere in baja sur.  please contact me directly

Last edited by dean on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 am

anyone coming down that can bring m some black metal screen?  

http://www.wholesalescreensandglass.com/Black_Aluminum_Insect_Screen.html

i only have access to silver metal screen to make traps, these when going to rest seem to prefer dark places.  I do not want to paint the screen as paint could repel them.  just another variable.

oh i can not use anything but metal because it has to stay bent to my configuration.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:35 am

now we have real world positive results...  ya it may not be a lot of mosquitoes but I do not have a lot near my home.

we really have something....

3 dead ones in one container and one live one in another container.   imagine if these had bit someone that had dengue and now they have been terminated in the one way trap.   as a side note a production trap would not need another container in a container.  I did this to visually see that it is working.    

these are static traps no poison no attractant with just old turtle water that had mosquitos in it that all hatched and died.     I put these at the grade school next to the toilets and did not catch any mosquitos at all because they layed the eggs in the toilets which had a bunch of larvae.    I brought these traps  home a week ago and just set them down not in a strategic place.    and today I was going to empty them out and wow spotted a few mosquitos.  this I believe is the first one way trap that has no power and just water to do this.    

pictures below.
this is sealed container 1,
new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui10

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui15

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui13

This is sealed container 2

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui17

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui14

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui12

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui11

Last edited by dean on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:32 pm

I found this trap on the web today and have emailed the creator of it. I need some of his lure for mosquitos to do more testing, he is in Holland. If I can get this lure and this lure works we would have a static baited trap tested.

http://newatlas.com/solarmal-solar-mosquito-trap/44845/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=e8059b2186-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-e8059b2186-90245106

http://www.wageningenur.nl/en/newsarticle/A-breakthrough-in-combating-malaria-with-odour-baited-trap-for-mosquitoes.htm

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:35 am

my helper tells me via inspection yesterday there are many if not a hundred  dead mosquitos at the school septic system trap we put in.. We will remove it in the next couple days and do a count, and replace it. one issue as I noted is ants come eat my dead mosquitos.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

My helper (black wolf) and I went to the school to check on the traps.     She counted 7 mosquitoes were caught in the secondary containment system.      

The other passive traps had no mosquitos in them.   The traps are in the bathrooms where the kids told me mosquitos hung out.   So she reported that one of the toilets had many larvae swimming around so she flushed the toilet.     Thus my traps should not catch mosquitoes in there with a easy water source is available.    

There are two septic tanks on the property right next to one another, and the trap is on the second tank that had a 3 inch dia tube hole.

dean

Back to top Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Empty HELLO IS BLACK WOLF

Post by blackwolf Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 pm

dean wrote:Now that the school is out I received permission to put my traps at the school.  I can not do this when kids are there because they will be disrupted.    I put one on the septic system to see if a new version the mosquitos could escape.    And today we checked and 2 mosquitos got into my containment section.    

that's cool affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

whit help Question Question Question Question Question Question

blackwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Now that the school is out I received permission to put my traps at the school. I can not do this when kids are there because they will be disrupted. I put one on the septic system to see if a new version the mosquitos could escape. And today we checked and 2 mosquitos got into my containment section.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 pm

right now there are just no mosquitoes around to continue testing.    As the kids get out of school I will see if the school will allow me to put traps there.  I cannot do it while there are kids because kids being kids will mess with them.    

none from the barrel are escaping.  

here is the final pic to the trap that had the most mosquitos  there are hundreds that could not escape when the trap was in the position reversed as hoped.   The dead ones are all over, including sunk.   no more wigglers in this container.     Note for reference then the trap was reversed every mosquito escaped out the first day which was about 40, almost all that had hatched, maybe 5 had not made it to the top yet.    I then reversed it and about 4 out of 200+ got out the one way trap.  

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0312

Last edited by dean on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:08 am

the barrel does not have any escaping now that I modified it. To eliminate the potential there are no more in it I will add some water with some active larvae.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 am

well two mosquitos made it out of my my toughest trap that till now none escaped. so at this point that one is at about 98% stopping them from escaping, out of about 100 plus estimated mossys. The next one had about 6 escape out of about 200 or more mosys about 97% and the last one had 2 escape out of about 40 mossys about 95% effective at this point. There are still some larvae swimming around.

I am testing a new design had to modify it again in the 55gallon drum because more escaped. This design is easier for a person to make at home that is based off of a mixture of two of the designs. The ones I was testing were a bit complicated to make for the average person. My goal is to make some thing that can be made very cheaply and by a person with a craft or mechanical aptitude anywhere in the world. The one I am testing now is about $7.00 in materials, but you need a drum or if you have the spare buckets or gallon jars..

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:57 pm

all good news only one mosquito escaped but was in the second of three traps.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:07 am

there are four mossys that have escaped the prevent direction on one trap alive this morning. This is the trap that had about 100-200 dead ones that could not get out. The other two traps have zero escapes. but only have about 60-100 and 20-30 dead mossys.

Overall calling it a major success.

I am testing another similar to the best one with a larger diameter, had a failure as some of the glue came off. and had 3 mossys that escaped. This is on a 55 gallon barrel so the trap enter diameter is larger, about 1.5 inches. Right now just testing if they can not escape first. I made this unit 2 days ago.

In my garbage can traps no mossys yet.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:51 pm

a second mosquito escaped in one test. i made two stand alone traps today.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:29 am

zero mosquitos have defeated the trap this reverse  direction this morning..  This is very encouraging.  

this evening one made it out, in one of the bottles.

On one of the bottles there are about 10 alive, another 20 alive, and one 40 alive.    yet there are a about 15 dead now in one, 40 dead now in another and about 100 dead now in another.   The difference is how many larvae were in each one.    

Thus the next issue is now know will they get smarter as they get older.  Nope they appear to exhaust themselves in one day and die.   I need to start the next phase with trying to trap mosquitoes that are looking for a rest and ones that want to lay eggs.    

I have been experimenting with 4 containers sitting around my location all 4 sides to see if they lay their eggs and all have larvae within a week or ten days in all of them.  Note I am allowing the mosquitoes to feed on me.    So next see if I can get them to lay eggs in these next version static one way traps.   Which as shown they may hatch but die and obviously at the shown death rates about 98%-100% the female will not be able to go bite people which would be the game changer.   This is for the case if the mosquito bit someone with a disease and was infected, went and laid its eggs then wants to go bite again.    

So now the next phase is the big experiment, when I have time to make the traps.  

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0224

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0223

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 am

anyone have some clear 1 gallon plastic jars like this I can have for the next stage I need more containers.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:26 am

major positive accomplishment..... but we need to see what happens over many days till they die.   Do they get smarter with age?

Though again this only shows newborns trying to escape to get blood.    It is a major step in the theory a one way passive static trap can be made.    So promising that I believe a lot of money should be invested in this approach if they all die.     It does not prove two things still which will be my next experiments.    

First it does not prove a mossy that got blood can make it past this trap size opening or that she will try.  

Second it does not prove the mosquitoes who were on the hunt will go past the initial screen areas in a stand alone trap, they may just stop and rest in the initial area and exit again at dusk and dawn.

here is todays picture, note the top is not filled with mosquitoes after reversing the trap so it is much harder to escape.    When the other direction they escaped very easily.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0222

Last edited by dean on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:39 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:13 pm

note this experimentation is just to make a one way trap. Right now the mosquitoes are in a different life path. They just hatched and want to go get blood, so they seek light at dawn and dusk.

If this works then the traps have to catch mosquitoes that are going to rest after their hunt day; which they look for humid dark places, and the goal is the really motivated ones who are trying to get to water where they lay eggs. They can obviously sense water vapor from far, and do not need much of a trap as they even lay eggs in bottlecaps. That newer tire trap is basically just water and a dark place.

I have been leaving various water containers out from 1 gallon tin cans to 1 gallon garbage cans to aluminum pans and all end up with mosquito larvae in a week or so. We have left out a coke bottle with a plastic tee on it and none have laid eggs there since the get go.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:19 am

there are mossys now hatching and getting through the trap the one way I hoped they would.     Next to reverse this.  Here is a picture of the traps with the mosquitos and larvae below.  

6pm,  I reversed them about 2pm.    there were 14, 20 and 40 mosquitos that had made it through the traps and this was basically all that had hatched as I opened it just one or two from the water section flew away.  This was very encouraging to see.     Then I reversed the trap direction and will see how many are out tomorrow.    I should have the similar  quantities hatch tomorrow.  The hope is they are all in the lower chamber or a majority.    Then it will be next phase testing of making standing water containers to nab the ones out and about.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0221

Last edited by dean on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:29 pm

had one mossy escape from the tough trap into a containment jar last night. Note right now it is intended that they can get out but now not as easy because the return is even more difficult. Before the return was too easy as I was only ending up with 20-30 percent dying in some of my traps when they were easy. So first step is to verify each of these new styles of traps they can enter the trap for now. Which all three they did see below..

This morning in all three trap method/trials I have 2-3 mossys in them. So they are very adapt at getting through mazes and tight spots. Again the reverse travel on all of these is significantly harder. After I have many hatch and make it through I will flip the direction of the trap and see if they can escape the hard way.

so far the results today are very encouraging. I am confident how they will make it through my traps the other direction, since I did nave a death toll of the simple ones.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun May 29, 2016 8:14 pm

checked this morning and the turtle waters have lots of Larva swimming around.    So testing will proceed shortly.   Have three new trap modifications.    They have to make it out the easier way first, then i reverse the trap and they have to make it out the hard way to see if it is a one way in trap.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri May 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Well all mosys died. I can not say it has any absolutes to it. Because they had already been stressed in the previous test. It was nice that all 5 died, but can not claim a proof at this point. Have to do it fresh from hatching when strong. Though they were only a few days old, I have read they live about 20-30 days.

So hopefully they can escape (which would be similar to entering) from my next version. Then I have to reverse it to see if then they can not escape. Then even when I get it duplicated several times I have to do the reverse catch is the goal.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed May 25, 2016 8:47 pm

well all of them were able to reverse out the trap. So I made a more complex trap and put them in. see if they again can enter on my more complex trap, if they do then I reverse it again and see if it is a one way trap.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

Another partial could be major trap advance today.     This one for catching mosquitoes when they want to lay eggs or sleep, vent trap or coke bottle trap is the goal.    With another batch of turtle water with larva I took the water and put in a gallon can and took another gallon can and cut a 3-4 inch diameter hole to hot glue onto it a home depot standard sink screen because for one it will be easy for people to copy, inexpensive and it is tapered like a funnel to allow the mosquitos to go through a 1 inch hole  I made in it.    I then rolled up some screen and cut a matching hole in the center and hot glued the screen to the sink screen giving it a t configuration.        

So as of today it took over a week for the larva to hatch, I have about 5 out of the t trap.   If they cannot get back to the water I consider this a success.   The next phase will be reversing the trap direction and seeing if I can lure the mosquitos into it and counting the dead or see if there is a significant decrease in area numbers.   Here is a picture of it.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Sam_0220

6pm none were able to get back to the water section all day. Now I removed them and flipped the trap so that they now try to escape the hard way to the light. If they can not do this it is a one way trap success. there are 5 of them.

dean

Back to top Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Empty new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

I proposed this years ago 2003 and tried to get a gates foundation grant and was denied.    this is a static trap and no chemicals just water.   it is a one way trap, the mossy can enter but can not exit.    no other trap has accomplished this.  

Now because of zika and so on doing some testing again.  I did some testing years ago but it was just to hot to make the trip to the campground in the summer specially when they were locking the gate during the weekdays.      

Now that the kids have turtles and have to make sure we change the water because of the mosquitoes it basically gives me a way to do tests.   IE I see I can breed out mosquitoes to test.    The big pain is I now allow the few mosquitoes there are to live when they land on me.    I let them take some blood too.   So I really do have some blood and sweat equity into this one.    

here was my original concept 10 years or so ago.    new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV Mosqui11

added 11/1/2016

I have a new website for this venture at www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com

Last edited by dean on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:15 am; edited 4 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down