La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

2 posters

Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Empty new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

First topic message reminder :

I proposed this years ago 2003 and tried to get a gates foundation grant and was denied.    this is a static trap and no chemicals just water.   it is a one way trap, the mossy can enter but can not exit.    no other trap has accomplished this.  

Now because of zika and so on doing some testing again.  I did some testing years ago but it was just to hot to make the trip to the campground in the summer specially when they were locking the gate during the weekdays.      

Now that the kids have turtles and have to make sure we change the water because of the mosquitoes it basically gives me a way to do tests.   IE I see I can breed out mosquitoes to test.    The big pain is I now allow the few mosquitoes there are to live when they land on me.    I let them take some blood too.   So I really do have some blood and sweat equity into this one.    

here was my original concept 10 years or so ago.    new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Mosqui11

added 11/1/2016

I have a new website for this venture at www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com

Last edited by dean on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:15 am; edited 4 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Empty Re: new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

Another partial could be major trap advance today.     This one for catching mosquitoes when they want to lay eggs or sleep, vent trap or coke bottle trap is the goal.    With another batch of turtle water with larva I took the water and put in a gallon can and took another gallon can and cut a 3-4 inch diameter hole to hot glue onto it a home depot standard sink screen because for one it will be easy for people to copy, inexpensive and it is tapered like a funnel to allow the mosquitos to go through a 1 inch hole  I made in it.    I then rolled up some screen and cut a matching hole in the center and hot glued the screen to the sink screen giving it a t configuration.        

So as of today it took over a week for the larva to hatch, I have about 5 out of the t trap.   If they cannot get back to the water I consider this a success.   The next phase will be reversing the trap direction and seeing if I can lure the mosquitos into it and counting the dead or see if there is a significant decrease in area numbers.   Here is a picture of it.

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Sam_0220

6pm none were able to get back to the water section all day. Now I removed them and flipped the trap so that they now try to escape the hard way to the light. If they can not do this it is a one way trap success. there are 5 of them.

dean

Back to top Go down

new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Empty new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV

Post by dean Mon May 23, 2016 10:52 am

I proposed this years ago 2003 and tried to get a gates foundation grant and was denied.    this is a static trap and no chemicals just water.   it is a one way trap, the mossy can enter but can not exit.    no other trap has accomplished this.  

Now because of zika and so on doing some testing again.  I did some testing years ago but it was just to hot to make the trip to the campground in the summer specially when they were locking the gate during the weekdays.      

Now that the kids have turtles and have to make sure we change the water because of the mosquitoes it basically gives me a way to do tests.   IE I see I can breed out mosquitoes to test.    The big pain is I now allow the few mosquitoes there are to live when they land on me.    I let them take some blood too.   So I really do have some blood and sweat equity into this one.    

here was my original concept 10 years or so ago.    new trap method for mossy for septic or static LV - Page 2 Mosqui11

added 11/1/2016

I have a new website for this venture at www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com

Last edited by dean on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:15 am; edited 4 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down