La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

baja issues

Go down

baja issues  Empty Re: baja issues

Post by dean Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm

facebook wrote:She's had all other vaccines updates: DAPP, Bordetella, Lyme disease and Rabies.

I'm a veterinarian and the medical director at Baja Dogs La Paz. The bacterine (vaccine) against leptospirosis is usually given twice a year in areas where is prevalent and once a year where it is not. In La Paz we usually vaccinate once a year along with the booster on DAPPv. For the border crossing one application is enough. Don't worry about it. But - as stated previously, you need to have that certificate from your vet that states that your dog's vaccines are current as well as tick and flea prevention and worm treatments

dean

Back to top Go down

baja issues  Empty baja issues

Post by dean Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:49 pm

bpe wrote:a. Sunday night, my 6yo dog Hattie died from leptospirosis, a contagious bacterial infection transmitted to animals through infected rodent urine. We recently purchased a bunch of compost and the dogs would not stop eating it. It may not be the source but we can’t figure out what brought it onto our property right here in central Los Barriles. After doing the autopsy and confirming lepto we had the other two dogs tested and my 10yo female tested positive for it! She is not showing symptoms but the incubation period is 3-22 days. Symptoms for lepto can parallel ehrlichiosis symptoms (as was Hattie’s case). A blood test will confirm either bacteria so if you have any questions about the health of your dog, don’t hesitate! Most importantly, both of my dogs that have contracted lepto had their vaccinations three months ago. Apparently it is a rare, virulent and dangerous bacteria strain that we could not possibly have known to prepare for. BUT, if you do catch it soon enough, a round of penicillin can make the difference and even save their life. Christine Rogers 141-0 home or 206-66 US cell

http://www.thebajaponyexpress.com/wp/2018/09/19/2899-092118/

dean

Back to top Go down