La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+5
tejana
admin
roxiepool
covertcode
dean
9 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-PlatedCars into Mexico

Post by dean on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quiet

Post by dean on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm
great new product for noisy rooms

http://news.cnet.com/noise-quenching-curtains-open-window-to-quiet/8301-17938_105-20059612-1.html
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quietPost by dean on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am
Water, I have tasted it when not brushing my teeth and it is not salty. My meter reads about 1750 ppm which is about 1000 ppm less of what we use to have. But the taste tells me it is it is lower. My meter reads correctly on bottled water about 40ppm so not sure.

bookmark this site/thread as I will add pictures and issues from time to time.

here is a picture of one of the water tanks by the shrimp factory that will have the de-sal water. you will bring your own jugs here to fill up. a real watering hole...

right now they have the de-sal hooked up to the city water, our water is good but not great, 560 ppm disolved solids. I was told by the workers the plant can do 300 cubic meters per day. that is probably about 1/2 our requirements in the summer and 1/3 when everyone is here. I was told another well will be dug for the desal plant. also they ran a three inch line to all these tanks.

here is the tank in progress picture
for today,,,    - Page 7 Water_tank_shrimp_factory-600x337

here is the first structure being built in the campground by a comercial business. note the total area via the orange markers.
for today,,,    - Page 7 Whos_business_in_campground-600x337

second commercial business in the campground. not sure, coffee or taco stand. white building to the right of the gate.
for today,,,    - Page 7 Toco_stand-600x337

the first arroyo to the north of the campground, the new concrete fence with barbwire to stop people from parking there?
for today,,,    - Page 7 Arroyo_fence-600x337

and finally in parting, we had a real cloudy morning here a week or so ago, this is the sunrise...
for today,,,    - Page 7 Fire_in_the_sky-600x337
for today,,,    - Page 7 Sunrise_1-600x337

and lastly here is my suggested air seperation piping to keep water bills low, i have a discussion of it in the water section under building in this forum.
for today,,,    - Page 7 Air_seperation_1v2-600x337

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am; edited 9 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Kiter out today,  I got ready to windsurf had harness on and was heading down to the beach but a hole hit and decided not to go out.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:45 pm

no wind or rain from the hurricane, no waves like the last 2 days either.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:25 pm

power down for about 6 hours was not our transformer or breakers at the transformer.   

the hurricane that is approaching but not expected to hit landfall has provided us with clouds so not real hot and a very short drizzle.  Plenty of waves causing the rocks to be all over the beach.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:04 pm

more rain this afternoon.   had sprinkles other days in the afternoon.    But if this keeps up we can not be rated as a desert...  lots of boom and light shows.

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0311

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0312

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:13 am

Topical Benadryl sprays that are not available in Mexico now tested  on a Scorpion sting and similar results resulted, it quickly 5 minutes made the sting area non-existent vs painful and throbbing.   Though the person was stung on the foot, they got to me late, they called me from the health clinic which was closed.   So they had pains up the leg and foot in major pain.    again after 5 minutes the foot was fine, still had some pain up the leg but decreased and the lips had a tingling feeling later.  We only sprayed the foot.   I think if sprayed initially vs 20 minutes later the secondary sensations may have been suppressed.    

So to date tested on portuguese man of wars and jelly fish many times and different people working 100% of the time within 5 minutes.    Bees  several times, ants several times, various spider and not known bug bites several times.  and a sting ray which is the most painful tested one time and was very effective.

And on my thread on the subject   Mayo clinic does advise Benadryl for all of these, they just do not list the topical, where I from my experience have found the topical works faster and better than the oral if applied promptly.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t314-bee-jellyfish-man-o-war-stings-ant-bites-plants-urchin

Last edited by dean on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty Kidnappings in Mexico surge to the highest number on record

Post by dean Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:06 pm

this is very sad, , note they are not targeting foreigners.   But small business employees and operators..  and only on the mainland.

I believe Mexico should do a police exchange with India, send mexican police to India and bring the ones from India to Mexico.   What this would do is prevent the extortion of the officers family that forces them to be corrupt and work for the cartels.     They will not be able to threaten the police officers family from India, so he can do his job without fear of retribution while working in Mexico.    It works because the wages are very similar between the nations.   

Why not try it in a few cities.   The language barrier is a  obstacle,  so you have a mix, traffic police well no language needed there.   Road blocks do not need language... and the ones that go after problems and cartels have a translator with a major group.    Remember UN troops do this all the time in war torn nations all the time with language barriers.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/kidnappings-in-mexico-surge-to-the-highest-number-on-record/2014/08/15/3f8ee2d2-1e6e-11e4-82f9-2cd6fa8da5c4_story.html?wpisrc=nl_hdtop

[size=48]Kidnappings in Mexico surge to the highest number on record[/size]

ECATEPEC, MEXICO — The first time, after the men with police badges had lashed Adriana Carrillo’s wrists and ankles with tape, and she had spent 37 hours in the back of a Nissan, her father tossed the $12,000 ransom in a black satchel over a graffiti-strewn brick wall and brought her nightmare to its conclusion. She took three days off and then went back to work.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 am

gentle rain this morning, not amounting to much.    I think i need to own an umbrella.   I guess I could use it for the sun too. 

Still the bobos are not bad as I mentioned they were after one of the rains for a bit but they disappeared.    mosquitoes are bad.

9am update, still off and on drizzles and it is only 80 degrees out...   burr time to pull the jackets out.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:33 pm

from otay mesa chamber of commerce.

Phase 1 of San Ysidro Construction
Almost Finalized

Yesterday we participated in our monthly working group with Customs and Border Protection and were able to take a sneak peak at the new San Ysidro Port of Entry Inspection Building, as well as get an update on the construction of this important project. It is likely that all 25 lanes will be open at the end of September -although the opening official date is October 17th-  At that time, wait times are expected to decrease in the region. We might see people that have shifted to the Otay crossing go back to San Ysidro, so both ports very well may experience reduced wait times.

Phase 3 includes rerouting our highways to the new southbound lanes and a pedestrian crossing in the "El Chaparral" area. The final phase includes major improvements to the  pedestrian crossing. Funding has been proposed for this phase but still needs to be approved as part of the budget process

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:15 pm

this afternoon, 30 minutes of rain, about 1/4 inch parts of town had more or less, it was gentle so not a runoff rain.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty coral explosion

Post by dean Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:51 pm

it really is amazing, I did not believe coral could grow so fast, but it is exploding out in front of my place.    The warmer winter temperature and warmer summer water have been ideal for the coral.    I swear every week it is noticeable.    I assume it is doing the same all over our area.   So expect to see lots of colorful tiny fish when you get back.    

For the last 15 years I only had about 3 square meters of coral out front of my place, right now I have about 30 square meters some 1-2 foot clusters.    and you can see all over the future starts of them, the polyps are all over about another 20 square meters.   

I found this online, so maybe the calcium carbonate rate has increased too.    Also again note I reported the black spiny sea urchins have almost disappeared in my area for no reason, maybe the coral is taking the calcium?   

https://answersingenesis.org/aquatic-animals/how-long-does-a-coral-reef-take-to-grow/

For example, in 1972, Cyclone Bebe ‘constructed’ a rampart of coral rubble 3.5 metres high, 37 metres wide and 18 kilometres long in a few hours.4
Given all the above, it seems reasonable to rely on the actual figures reported from depth-sounding measurements for coral reef growth rates, rather than calculations trying to take all these other factors into account. Such reef growth rates have been reported as high as 414 millimetres per year in the Celebes.5 At such a rate, the entire thickness of the Eniwetok Atoll could have been formed in less than 3,500 years.
In addition, actual experiments indicate that the rate of coral growth can be nearly doubled by increasing the temperature five degrees Celsius (remember that Eniwetok sits on a now-extinct volcano), or increasing the carbonate content of sea water.6

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty new candian vehicle great for even bad areas

Post by dean Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:20 am

here is a new Canadian vehicle that is shortly to be offered to the public, you could drive in the wrong neighborhoods of the US as well as TJ and no one is going to mess with you.... for that matter take some nasty back roads too.   Look at the weight of this monster.    BTW the guns will not be included, and I do not think you will need one anyway.   

for today,,,    - Page 7 RPV2

Just in case you’re looking for something really different to drive, and the HUMVEE or AMG 6×6 just isn’t big enough, we offer this up for consideration. Here’s a rig that civilians can buy now (minus the armaments, of course) in the U.S. that we’re pretty sure you’re not going to see two of in the grocery store parking lot any time soon.

A Canadian company known as Terradyne Armored Vehicles has been making vehicles that would make the daily driving experience very exciting. Up to now, they have only been available to law enforcement agencies, but the company has decided to begin offering “civilianized” versions to the general public. We’re pretty sure that if you were driving the now civilian-available Gurkha Rapid Patrol Vehicle, that other drivers would not only notice you, but tend to get the heck out of your way.

Just in case vehicles such as the HUMVEE or AMG 6×6 aren’t big enough, the armored tactical vehicle is available in multiple configurations. Each of these configurations is built on the Ford F-550 chassis and uses the 6.7L Powerstroke diesel making 300hp and 660 pound-feet of torque.
Being able to haul up to five comfortably is also a plus just in case you’re in the mood to head to the beach with all your friends. The 19,500-pound truck comes with an automatic transmission, disc brakes, and 4×4 standard just in case things get sticky and you need to go.
Buying this truck gives you the best of both worlds. Not only will you have a fashionable and functional vehicle to drive every day, but it almost guarantees that nobody will do anything to irritate you again … ever. It also goes without mentioning that if you have the coin to back it up, it’s probably about the strangest motor vehicle money can buy — at the moment.

http://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/gurkha-law-enforcement-vehicles-now-available-for-civilian-purchase/

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty first test of electrical system

Post by dean Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 am

raining cats and dogs right now with thunder and lightning.  our first test of our new transformer.

Seems the new system held up.   probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch will know in the morning.  That storm has passed, and from the weather maps we can be in for a few more. so about 30 minutes of heavy rain.

1pm,   about 3/4 of an inch of rain.   

the bobos were diminishing, now who knows.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty permanent resident status please pay attention

Post by dean Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:56 am

they report 50 people have vehicles confiscated at the cabo airport (per US consulate).

so do not drive to the cabo airport if you are a permanent resident with US plated vehicles.   And or until things get cleared up (again this is baja which they had run differently, but 50 vehicles confiscated is kinda telling us baja sur is now not an exception for residency for vehicles any more) From what I have read by law you only need to present your US drivers license if pulled over, (could be wrong info, but) only federal police or immigration officers can ask for your visa....  Fed police are at the airport and can petrol HWY 1 because it is a federal highway.. our road to laPaz is not a federal road, if you notice you never see a federal police vehicle on it except in very rare events.   

Like last week when a drug deal went wrong up the mountain from the yonkes.   I think 3 people were executed.  So there were a of of federal police on the road for a few days.  I think that is the only time I have fed police between here and LaPaz.     

How to Import Your Car into Mexico & Get Mexican Plates
If you are of permanent resident status in Mexico you can not drive a non-Mexican registered car. Enforcement has begun and the penalties are swift and painful

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t177-vehicles-and-fm2-3-now-permanent-resident

Last edited by dean on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:25 am; edited 6 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty proud new users of a 2000KVA transformer.

Post by dean Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:56 pm

well we have a new 2000KVA transformer.      That should last us another 10 years.    This is 4 times the power delivery of the one that was replaced.    When do we think the summer population will be 3-4 times higher, about 40 years, but winter when do we think we could have 3-4 times more people?   10-20 years?

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0310

Last edited by dean on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty transformer blew

Post by dean Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 am

well, we did not have electricity for about 30 hours straight.        They replaced the transformer and back on at about 5am ish.   

Talked to them while they were doing it and the old one was 500KVA and they were going to put in a larger one.       I will check to see what size they put in.   The CFE linemen also confirmed to me the town is getting higher gauge wiring.  My guess is there are more AC units in town and in use with these more humid days and nights.    

I did not open my freezer the entire time it was off.    Just checked and the ice makers which are high at the top where the temps should be stratified, all the ice had melted.    Had to remove the water in the auto-icemaker trays and under the tray, as well as a the bottom of the freezer.   The good news for me the hamburgers and other items i just bought from COSTCO last week did not defrost.    What i had been doing when the power was going off and on was I lowered my freezer temp and was putting in a bunch of emptied 2 liter bottles that i then filled  water to create more cold mass just in case.

Last edited by dean on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

We have an answer to what the device is.   

I was an electric utility employee for over 30 years until I retired about 20 years ago.  The device looks like a recloser to me.  It would "sense" a fault in the lines beyond the recloser and the recloser (switch) would open and all the customers beyond the recloser would be out of power.  At any time during this cycle9of testing) the reclosure senses the fault is not still there, the power will stay on and the reclosure will reset itself to start sensing for faults again.Sometimes the fault is temporary like the lines getting together because a vehicle bumped a pole or a lightning strike or high winds getting the lines together.  The recloser has a delay (usually about 5 seconds) and then the switch will reclose into the line and if the fault is no longer detected, the power will stay on.  If the problem is still sensed, the recloser will open again and then try again in approx 25 to 30 seconds.  If the problem is still sensed it will open and try again at approx 90 seconds.    If the problem is still sensed the recloser will stay open until the problem is found and isolated or repaired and will not automatically operate again until operated by a electric utility employee who will set is to normal operating conditions so it will be ready to sense future problems.
Hope this helps.

thanks for the info.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:55 am

sooo humid...............    like being in atlanta... 

as i rode my bicycle past the OXXO their windows were fogged up.  Concrete damp with moisture marks.   the mountains are fogged in.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:18 am

Consulate Requirements for Residente Permanente or Temporal Card Lost Abroad

http://yucalandia.com/2014/07/30/consulate-requirements-for-residente-permanente-or-temporal-card-lost-abroad/

This article lists the official INM requirements for applying for a temporary entrance visa at a Mexican Consulate (to return to Mexico legally), in case of a lost, stolen, or destroyed Residente Permanente card or Residente Temporal card while traveling outside Mexico.
If you lose your INM residency card whlie traveling abroad, do NOT try to enter Mexico under a “tourist”/Visitante/FMM – because INM can cancel your current temporary or permanent and charge you with visa fraud (trying to have 2 permits at the same time). Instead, go to a Mexican Consulate first, and give them: a copy of a police report (reporting the stolen card/wallet), ID photos & passport. Also plan to pay of a small fee.
We are presenting this as the original Spanish language Nov. 8, 2012 INM Lineamientos official DOF publication,  for people to print-out to give to the Mexican Consulates.  Original Chapter 4 of the Lineamientos can be found at: http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5276966&fecha=08/11/2012

Capítulo IV

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:21 pm

power went out and right back on about 4 times last night

here is another speed test for the internet.    tested today confirming no hook up to the fiber, 1 meg download speed paying for 3.   

http://www.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/#ftag=MKT0d12852?ftag=CAD9f89b0c

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty power outage problems and new relay device

Post by dean Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:57 am

The last two nights the power went off  for several hours.    I am guessing because increased load of people using AC more than ever.     Our nights are really humid vs other years.   

Today power went out so went out to the substation and they were hooking up for the fisrt time this device that they have been installing for 2 months now.     It is on the first pole to our side of the substation transformer.    

It appears to me to be some sort of power relay switch.   As I mentioned maybe with a built in delay so when power goes down baja wide that the surge that shuts down the entire system is minimized.   The benefit for us is if this is accurate we will not have the brownouts /those flickering when the power comes back.    This is one of the major problems we have here.     

So some please chime in and tell us what this switch is.  

Here are the pictures.   

the below panel with the blue arrow is wired directly to the hot lower voltage side from the transformer.   It appears it has a control box with a maybe vacuum tube to the relay above it.   

for today,,,    - Page 7 New_by10

the red arrows point to what they released (opened) today so the device is not bypassed.  When those are attached to the cable it bypasses this device.     The device is now active.  the blue arrows point to the fuses that are also found before and after the transformers.   They are now in the active position which they were not before.     

for today,,,    - Page 7 New_by11

again someone with high voltage/power power control please chime in and tell us specifically what this device is.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty 3 Projects That Could Dramatically Change Cross-Border Trave

Post by dean Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 am

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/07/17/3-projects-that-could-dramatically-change-cross-border-travel/

[ltr]3 Projects That Could Dramatically Change Cross-Border Travel[/ltr]

[ltr]Slow-moving cross-border travel may finally accelerate if a handful of makeover plans ever materialize.[/ltr]
[ltr]This week Congress voted to set aside $216 million for the final phase of the bustling San Ysidro border crossing that had long been stalled and developers building a pedestrian bridge to the Tijuana airport announced construction is under way.[/ltr]
[ltr]Meanwhile, the soaring vision for a defunct rail line meant to make it easier to ferry goods from Mexico and San Diego County across the U.S. appears stuck in its tracks despite boosters’ long-held high hopes.[/ltr]
[ltr]If these upgrades become reality, they’ll do more than just ease border crossers’ frustrations.[/ltr]
[ltr]The county’s planning agency once estimated the post-Sept. 11 border slowdown cost the U.S. and Mexico economies $7.2 billion and more than 62,000 jobs in 2007 alone.[/ltr]
[ltr]Here’s a status update on three border projects that proponents in the U.S. and Mexico have pushed for years.[/ltr]
click link to read the details of the projects.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 pm

from LaPaz Gringos

I have a  natural insect repellent that is top notch and is super effective.

protect yourself from Dengue,  (my friend got dengue last week and it's noooo fun!!  Sad  

$50 pesos a bottle, doesn't stain, non sticky, smells great and leaves your skin refreshed.

works on bobo's too!

Come get it from me in the condos beside the La Posada hotel or I can drop it off at the marina, also available at Nomada store on Belisario dominguez and 5 de Mayo.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:06 am

major wind tropical storm level.  It was clear this morning sa at least 15 boats heading out.     I am concerned about them, it came up so fast and I did not see the boats race in.    

was 40 mph with gusts about 70mph is my estimate.   knocked over tables and all chairs.

no rain with it so far.   looks like it is coming.

gentle rain right now, great for soaking the ground.  Lots of lightning.   been 15 minutes of rain so far.   9:45

very light drizzle now, 10:15  

not raining  11am

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty humidity has dropped a bit

Post by dean Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:46 am

the humidity has dropped a few percent, though it picks up in the evening once the sun dips..

At the same time temperature has picked up. I am now at 92 everyday vs before 89, generally august and september are 92. As a side note at my place using the same thermometer for 15 years ( matched several other thermometers I have checked it with), i have never recorded a extended period over several hours above 96 degrees. So far this season max we had was 94 degrees.

Also the mosquitoes have been bad, and now this morning the bobos have gotten real bad.

Not many man-o-wars so swimming is enjoyable in our 85 degree water.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 am

still just humid days.  We are getting an airflow from the mainland vs pacific side.   The mainland specially the costal is tropic moisture that is being sent our way.   

I was in Atlanta recently and I can say we are not hitting the atlanta misery index by any means.      In atlanta could not even go for a walk without sweating, here every morning I can ride my bicycle early in the morning without feeling miserable or soaked.    In Atlanta it hit the dew point every morning.  Here we still rarely hit the dew point.  Today we did hit the dew point.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty more rain

Post by dean Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:39 am

over night we has another real rain.   my guess 1/4-1/2 inch depending where in town you were.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty new phone laws in Mexico.

Post by dean Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 am

this is a computer translation...to part of the article, 

seems the government is opening up competition in Mexico.    Shared infrastructure.    Hope it includes land line infrastructure not just cellular as the translation implies.    If someone is fluent in spanish read the article and please tell us.      If correc with Fiberoptics now as the core we could have some more improvements with competition being able to use the basic infrastructure.        

http://www.dineroenimagen.com/2014-07-09/40072

MEXICO CITY -. Upon the issuance of the Federal Telecommunications Act and Broadcasting, constitutional reform in this area will become the vehicle of the great transformation of the sector, to promote a new structure in the market, changes in the way we do business, consolidations and sales, but also concrete benefits to consumers of telecommunications, lawmakers and experts say the converging sector.
With the above and once the rules were written, both Gerardo Flores, a member of the Committee on Communications and Transportation of the Senate and Gerardo Soria, president of the Law Institute of Telecommunications (IDET) agreed that it can be expect a significant flow of investments to boost the sector.
Benefits

• The elimination of charges for long distance and fixed cell, from January 1, 2015, could yield annual savings for consumers of up to 32 billion pesos.

• Likewise, for the consumers of its prepaid mobile balance will expire in one year and not in one or two months was established in the plans of different service providers.

• Users of prepaid cellular service can check your balance without costing them a penny.

• Number portability, ie, the change of service provider, you must specify in just 24 hours.

• Consumers will receive bonuses for non-compliance and quality agreed in the contract.

• Wireless devices must deliver unlocked.

• Service providers must comply with the quality determined by the IFT, agency for breach may impose penalties.

• Interconnection costs to zero as the first step will be reduced to migrate towards a model  Bill and Keep  traffic exchange and expectations that results in lower rates for consumers; long as there is an actual transfer of benefits.

• The preponderant in both telecommunications and broadcasting should allow the use of their infrastructure to competitors.

• The digital switchover will be implemented on December 31, 2015.

•  With multiprogramming content offerings will be expanded.

• Firms will have special equipment for disabled people. The stations with greater than 50% coverage subtitles should integrate news and sign language. In three years the measure should apply to all programming.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty car insurance problems

Post by dean Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 am

from LPG do a search lapazgringos@yahoogroups.com and the word Qualitas for people claiming various problems with Qualitas car insurance.  One or two claim the agent Lewis and Lewis apparently is not able to help in severe conditions.   

I am an insurance agent and sell Mexico auto insurance (as well as homeowners, medical and SkyMed). I quit selling Qualitas a long time ago because of just these issues. I started having clients yelling at me and when I went to the repair shops & dealerships, was told that Qualitas is famous for dragging out claims and stalling months and months before paying. My clients count on me to give them good advice. So I dropped Qualitas and only sell insurance policies that are rated A or A- by AM Best. Yes, the rates are not as cheap but my companies come through for you.  When people tell me they can get it cheaper with Qualitas I tell them go ahead, but you get what you pay for!

Cathie Smith LoCicero

cathie.smith@mexpro.com
www.mexpro.com/cathiesmith

Toll free US 866-460-3486  Mobile 575-993-8227

from my perspective it again shows why one should only have older vehicles in Mexico so the bite is not as severe..

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty This house in the desert keeps itself cool and generates its

Post by dean Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 am

http://www.gizmag.com/dunn-and-hillam-desert-house-alice-springs/32891/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=bb1bd3f22c-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-bb1bd3f22c-90245106

This house in the desert keeps itself cool and generates its own power

A house built in the demanding environment of Alice Springs, Australia, has been honored by the Australian Institute of Architects (AIA). Dunn and Hillam's Desert House was designed to withstand the extreme desert conditions while remaining energy efficient. The AIA cited the project's "genuine sensibility to environmental management in this specific climate."

• for today,,,    - Page 7 Dunn-and-hillam-desert-house-8for today,,,    - Page 7 Dunn-and-hillam-desert-house-5for today,,,    - Page 7 Dunn-and-hillam-desert-house-7for today,,,    - Page 7 Dunn-and-hillam-desert-house-3View all

Dunn and Hillam was asked by its clients to design a house that would allow them to make the most of living in Alice Springs, taking into account its climate and spectacular scenery. The clients requested that the house engage with the surrounding landscape, that it provide multiple places to be use depending on the time of day and weather, and that it minimize energy usage.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:26 am

from BPE  

seems a skimmer was put on this machine. 

On the 7th, I withdrew money form the bbva Bancomer compass atm in Los Barriles using a US bank card.  My card was compromised the next day and today in Cabo. I was not in Cabo and my card is in my possession and I have never given out my pin nor is it on my computer. I have filed a claim. I am warning people.  We live here fulltime. Please let others know.  Kaila   

last night a strong breeze from the mountains came in and was dry and cool.    soon the bugs may be out and the weeds will kick in.  I will keep you posted here.

we do not have any major damage to our roads because of the work that they just completed in front of my place it has about the most, because they did not fill it in to stop the water from funning behind it.   In front of Richard's land the sidewalk has a 3 foot section where it is a sinkhole, but the concrete sidewalk is still up.    Hopefully it gets filled in before it collapses.   

I was not able to get out to Punta Arena because the deep water/muck on their sand roads.   Just not worth getting stuck.   There was a CFE truck out there resetting the breakers so that may indicate some severe damage to the lines at the end.       There is a new paved road from agua Marga to the bend/curve at Bay of the Dead where you can turn for Punta Arena.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:40 pm

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/la-asociacion-mexicana-de-internet-vaticina-la-llegada-de-axtel-y-alestra-bcs/

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS) -. Indeed, BCS has the largest percentage of the population connected to the Internet in Mexico , with 54.6% of its citizens sailing, however just 2 companies are responsible for providing the service, meaning "coverage but little speed," said Carlos Ponce Beltran , president of the Mexican Internet Association (Amipci).

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by Turyturbo Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you for sharing these links. Wow, insane. I hope the weather will be settled down once I fly in on July 12.

Turyturbo

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 am

lapaz 1/2 inch of rain in 1 hour?  we had about 2-4 inches in 1 hour maybe they got that number wrong..    

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/regresan-fuertes-lluvias-la-paz-con-vientos-de-hasta-69-kmh/

for today,,,    - Page 7 Lluvias-intensas-la-paz-5

run baby run...     this link also has a video
http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/se-desarrollo-una-tromba-marina-en-la-paz/

for today,,,    - Page 7 Tromba-marina-la-paz-4

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Kat wrote:amazing pictures on FB, or may I try to 'copy' one to share perhaps? I am new to this site-just found out about it due to the water spout info on the BPE, and think many friends in Los Cabos would love the pictures!
Thank you.
I did not post on FB, feel free to post one on FB, please link back to this page.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty can you post these

Post by Kat Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm

amazing pictures on FB, or may I try to 'copy' one to share perhaps? I am new to this site-just found out about it due to the water spout info on the BPE, and think many friends in Los Cabos would love the pictures!
Thank you.
Kat
Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Turyturbo Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:33 pm

How long will this 'hurricane-type' weather lasts?

Turyturbo

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:23 pm

we are getting major rain, as much as any hurricane right now.   update later.

update: about 2-4 inches so mention to your gardeners to not water for a bit.

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0218

Last edited by dean on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 7 Empty Water Spout

Post by dean Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

water spout off shore in LaVentana baja Sur  Mexico,  90 miles north of cabo, 30 miles south of LaPaz on the sea of Cortez.  Island to the left is south end of Isle of Cerralvo.  

will add more in a few minutes, and will drive out to punta arena to take more pictures if I have the time.   after it hit punta arena it dissipated..  

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0213

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0214

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0215

as it hits land it was very large below...   hit the Pt arena.  

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0216

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0217

here it is as it dies, you can see it is much thinner as it appears to be on land.

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0219
for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0220

Last edited by dean on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:16 pm

good amount of rain up on the mountain to the lapaz side.

mexico 1935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paf444dYg5c

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:23 pm

forgot to mention, seems the number of sea urchins (the black long spinny ones) is at a all time low.    I have no idea why, haven't snorkeled for a long time because i am so climatized that only now is the water warm enough for me.  Where there use to be huge clusters they almost non-existent.     I had to search to find any.    

on my way back in got to try my benadryl antidote again.      Got a portuguese man-of-war across the face.    the spray benadryl works so fast.      

also so far this year seems to be the year of the cock roach so bring some food for them.     Also not sure because the cat that adopted me 15 years ago passed away, but there seems to be many more lizards all over.  More types than I use to see.

internet speed down to 1.88 meg so about 30% off.    So no fiber to copper/twisted pair interface yet would be my guess.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43 am

still humid...  definitely record setting...   

The new boat ramp by the police station has been removed.  obviously it was not working for launching because it filled up with too much sand.     The parts are all piled up on one another.     If they turn the entire thing upside down and scored the bottom it would solve their problems.   IMHO

the road work is done...   they recoated from the new paved last year to the police station.   My new friends are gone, they would wave and honk when I ride my bicycle in the morning.   

I was out at  San Antonio for a motorcycle light ride.     I payed attention to the fiber optic cables as they were hung on the electric poles all the way to the turn off to San Antonio.   At that junction they went underground to the other side of the road and have a 4 foot diameter junction box they may have spliced into the existing/old  fiber cable.    I do not think they are done right there because they did not cover the junction box with soil.   Yet it is about 2-3 feet below ground level.   They may need some specialists to come and finish that work.    

CFE rewired a bunch of poles in town and out of town.   And they have installed some device at the main transformer station a mile out of town.     This device is not active yet because they will have to cut the parallel supply above it.     But it appears to me to be some sort of relay connection.  My guess without being a high power expert is it is a delay relay.     

That when they lose power when power is re-energized it delays allowing us to go live instantaneously when the power is restored.    The reason they would want to do that is if a system wide power outage and everything is activated at the same time it can cause severe brownouts because too much power is being required at the same instant.     IE refrigerator compressors, AC compressors and water pumps need about 3-4 times their rated current to start.  This is a huge power spike that can cause brownouts.   So this device would be delayed by a few minutes to prevent this specific condition waiting for the system to stabilize first.

If you ever noticed sometimes when power is restored it goes off and on a few times in succession.   This is because of the issue I outlined.   The peak demand would trip the system breakers.       A device like I mentioned would prevent this. Brownouts can damage many electrical devices.   We can still get other types of brownouts but this is the most frequent one we experience.  

As I mentioned it it brand new and installed but they have not done the final hook up to it yet.  and again just a guestimate on my part.

Last edited by dean on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:46 am

yesterday a fleet of CFE came in and re-hung the high voltage wires near the police station area to the new poles they put in a few weeks ago.   down at this end we did not lose power but out north they were without power for most of the day.   I could see they used a higher gauge wire too.  

My road crew worker friends now wave to me as I ride my bicycle in the morning.. 

Still humid down here.    Last night a very weird lightning show (spectacular), in the summer usually after the middle of July we get lightning shows from the mainland and sometimes over the island.  This one was very strange, it was just the south end of the island and the frequency of the lightning was instantaneous.    both of those conditions I have never seen before.  It was in the clouds right there, (no other clouds in the sky) just to the other side of south of the island.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Bonus points to John E, he knew what that machinery was for.     Resurfacing the existing good road.     

It also turned out this morning they were doing the shoulder work at my hill.    It hit me these guys were going to miss the game of the new century for them.  Mexico v Brazil at noon.     So got into action quick and found some cable wire and wired a TV out my gate in the shade  by 10am for the first game so they would know their game would be available so either work faster or slower to get the timing right for their game.     When they heard the first game on they gave me the smile and thumbs up from a distance understanding why this gringo was setting his TV up outside.     they watched the majority of the game but the cement truck showed up with their boss and were not allowed to watch the last 30 minutes of 10 minutes of the game.    I kept them posted with hand signals.....        

here is the pic of the resurfacing... they did one lane past me.

for today,,,    - Page 7 Paving15

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:30 pm

some paving equipment has been moved to LaVentana.   Where they are going to pave is anyones guess.    I tried and the only thing I was able to get out of him was it was for 6 kilometers of paving.     and since the first pile of gravel is by Baja Joes I assume it is for doing village streets would be my guess.   

As I have mentioned they are working on the erosion sides of the road all over town and all the way to the turnoff hill to the BUF out of town.  Here is a picture of the erosion side work they are doing all over town in front of baja joes.  the next two are pictures of the paving equipment and the massive pile of gravel they have.

first pic by baja joes they will fill in the gaps on the next pour this week.  you can see the equipment for the paving in the background

for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0210
the equipment both sides of the street and gravel pile.  not enough gravel for 6 kilometers, so guess the village in LaVentana.   
for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0211
closeup of the equipment
for today,,,    - Page 7 Sam_0212

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:49 am

got miserably humid last night, after the night before being beautify and morning beautiful.     humid and cloudy today.

propane is still bout $450 pesos for a large tank.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:47 am

i can see the island and mountains...  just a haze so still humid.  that was morning...   and evening finally a normal not humid evening.....   

this is a nice 8000 btu ac unit.    works over wifi.  for $300.00

http://www.cnet.com/products/quirky-aros-smart-window-air-conditioner/?ftag=CAD9f89b0c

We've seen several small-scale gadgets from the Quirky+GE partnership, but its first appliance, the Aros Smart Air Conditioner, might be its most appealing offering yet. That's not just me saying that -- with its Nest-like smarts, futuristic-looking design, and $300 price point, the Aros quickly shot up to the top of Amazon's pre-order charts soon after being announced in March.
After spending some time with the Aros, I'm convinced that the buzz was justified. As air conditioners go, it performs admirably, and the design looks better than just about anything else on the market. Throw in its smart features, which include remote scheduling, geofencing, and a handy budget tracking mode, and the Aros looks like a steal at $300 -- especially whencomparable, non-connected AC units sell in roughly the same price range.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:44 am

Courtesy of the Gringo Gazette

Hot Air Balloon Festival. Cool! -Exhibition hours both days are 3pm-11pm. - La Paz along the Malecon
Saturday June 14, there will be an exhibition of hot air balloons on the ground, with airships, kites, a workshop and live music. Then, the following day, Sunday, June 15, the balloons will float down to Los Cabos, landing along El Tule beach, which is right off the fourlane at that long bridge that goes over that wide arroyo. Don’t worry, you will be able to see it from the highway. Just drive and keep looking towards the ocean.

still no mountains...  but can see them a bit better today.   

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 am

still can not see the mountains and island ie still humid, we are still getting a airflow from the mainland.   And a tropical storm down south.   

for some reason there is a lot of broken beer and alcohol bottles on the road and sidewalks right now vs other years.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 am

today a sunday,  my internet speed is down to 1.76meg Mbps download.    so about half the speed I am paying for.   So i think/hope this does indicate that fiber is not hooked up.

still humid as we can not see the mountains or island.

Last edited by dean on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:15 pm

still humid in the morning, and this evening the island disappeared in the evening, i do not remember a series of days being this humid before.  but still not as bad as florida...  

Palapas Ventana was robbed June 6th a bunch of spearguns and misc equipment were stolen.      

They obviously walked up the beach because they did uncover my windsurf gear and moved on realizing windsurf gear is not that valuable.    So this was not a case of a person targeting them.   Just someone walking up the beach and checking on what they could steal.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 pm

still real humid, mountains gone island almost gone.

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next