La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+5
tejana
admin
roxiepool
covertcode
dean
9 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-PlatedCars into Mexico

Post by dean on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quiet

Post by dean on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm
great new product for noisy rooms

http://news.cnet.com/noise-quenching-curtains-open-window-to-quiet/8301-17938_105-20059612-1.html
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quietPost by dean on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am
Water, I have tasted it when not brushing my teeth and it is not salty. My meter reads about 1750 ppm which is about 1000 ppm less of what we use to have. But the taste tells me it is it is lower. My meter reads correctly on bottled water about 40ppm so not sure.

bookmark this site/thread as I will add pictures and issues from time to time.

here is a picture of one of the water tanks by the shrimp factory that will have the de-sal water. you will bring your own jugs here to fill up. a real watering hole...

right now they have the de-sal hooked up to the city water, our water is good but not great, 560 ppm disolved solids. I was told by the workers the plant can do 300 cubic meters per day. that is probably about 1/2 our requirements in the summer and 1/3 when everyone is here. I was told another well will be dug for the desal plant. also they ran a three inch line to all these tanks.

here is the tank in progress picture
for today,,,    - Page 19 Water_tank_shrimp_factory-600x337

here is the first structure being built in the campground by a comercial business. note the total area via the orange markers.
for today,,,    - Page 19 Whos_business_in_campground-600x337

second commercial business in the campground. not sure, coffee or taco stand. white building to the right of the gate.
for today,,,    - Page 19 Toco_stand-600x337

the first arroyo to the north of the campground, the new concrete fence with barbwire to stop people from parking there?
for today,,,    - Page 19 Arroyo_fence-600x337

and finally in parting, we had a real cloudy morning here a week or so ago, this is the sunrise...
for today,,,    - Page 19 Fire_in_the_sky-600x337
for today,,,    - Page 19 Sunrise_1-600x337

and lastly here is my suggested air seperation piping to keep water bills low, i have a discussion of it in the water section under building in this forum.
for today,,,    - Page 19 Air_seperation_1v2-600x337

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am; edited 9 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty first camper in the campground for this season

Post by dean Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:24 pm

we have a pop up camper sitting up in the campground.

Last edited by dean on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty LaPaz safest city in North America

Post by dean Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:28 am

http://themexicoreport.com/2011/06/17/la-paz-mexico-safe-cities-in-mexico/

La Paz, Mexico: One of the Safest Cities in North America

According to Irvine-based research group, Competitive Analytics, La Paz is one of the safest cities in the world. When La Paz (population, 220,000) is ranked among California (U.S.) cities between 100,000 and 500,000, it is the third-safest in murder and manslaughter in 2009, the latest year available for an accurately averaged comparison.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Glen Close talks about kiteboarding, she was in laventana

Post by dean Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:02 pm

someone told me they saw her out for a private walk. she obviously wanted private time and seems everyone respected this and gave her her space.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2371314&start=10
I met her in La Ventana this past spring (end of February) and both on and off the beach I found her to be very pleasant and low key. She even invited me over to her table to have lunch with her and her husband(?).

I didn't even realize she was Glenn Close until a few days later during a diner when someone else mentioned it.

I didn't want to intrude on her vacation so I never got out my camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs41lgrj9Vk
talks about more kiting.
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/glenn-close-6811/1332690/

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty US consular in cabo is now open in new location

Post by dean Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:19 am

The US Consular Agency in Los Cabos will be open at a new location as of Monday, Sept. 12: Tiendas de Palmilla
Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 27.5, Local B221
San Jose del Cabo, BCS
9 AM to 2 PM, Monday through Friday
Same telephone number: 624 143 3566
General Email address: usconsulcabo@yahoo.com
If possible, please write or call beforehand to notify the Agency that you will be arriving.
The office is located on the lower level of the Palmilla shopping center, next to the business center.
The usual services will be available: US passport applications, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, US notary services, emergency services for US citizens.
For emergencies after 5 PM and on weekends, please call the answering service in San Diego, CA: 619 692 2154.

Trina Brown, Consular Agent

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 am

humidity is now reasonable, we have bo bos but not to bad

there was a major pot bust here last week hear near the new star mini-super area. they did damage entering and it was a house owned by a gringo and was rented out to a mexican national.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty very humid right now

Post by dean Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:15 pm

our humidity is very high right now. really muggy. not quite floriday stuff but yuck...

the bugs are not bad yet, but usually it takes a few days after the rain.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty netflix moves to latin america, and mexico

Post by dean Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm

http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-brazil-mexico-piracy/

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty baja california sur tourist video

Post by dean Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 pm

http://vimeo.com/28470944

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty more rain

Post by dean Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 am

had some more rain... at my place about 1/4-1/2 inch. yesterday evening was even very pleasant as far as temperture.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty laventana classic 2012

Post by dean Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 am

La Ventana Classic 2012
Game on for Jan 19-22 - not much bigger...but better - clinics Jan 16-18
Kite and windsurf events plus SUP island crossing, downwinder and more..............................plus some new surprises.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty econ 101

Post by dean Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 am

http://www.economist.com/node/21526899

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty report on future of baja area/laPaz

Post by dean Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:14 am

http://futurolapaz.icf-xchange.org/content_e.html

also kiter out yesterday...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty for septemeber campers

Post by dean Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:48 pm

If you are a sept camper, just a slight warning. This year has been a bit hotter than normal. This is the only year I can remember where I have not had a good breeze every day.

For instance yesterday there was none and it hit about 95 degrees which is 3 degrees hotter than normal. my record at my place for a full day is 96 in 12 years. That 3 degrees differential with no breeze makes it very uncomfortable. In previous years I have only needed the AC during the day a handful of times. thus summer I am using it 1 out of 5 days and right now it is at 2 out of 4 days.

I was sleeping on a cot with a fan under and one from above that worked great. But it was one of those low to the ground cheapy ones not meant for daily use and it died. So have moved to ac at night.

here is the cot I wish I had... designed with a mesh ventilation so a fan under would work even better.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41195
for today,,,    - Page 19 PhotoDraw72310

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty big wind right now

Post by dean Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 am

a storm is passing by , big wind. my guess is 15 with gusts to 40.

looks like rain to the north but not here so far. lots of lightning and thunder.
not much rain down here but el sergento had a little more...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty windurfing kiting season offically started today

Post by dean Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 pm

definitely the start of the season... we have wind..... earliest start ever...

hurry get down for warm windsurfing...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty construction at san Ysidro starts end of August to end of

Post by dean Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:46 am

construction at san Ysidro starts end of August to end of November

here is a video of it.
http://bcove.me/6pmkabxb

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/aug/19/san-ysidro-border-may-increase-capacity-during-con/
SAN YSIDRO — Even though demolition at the San Ysidro Port of Entry will be closing as many as five re-entry lanes at a time in the next few months, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials said Thursday that traffic may actually flow faster through the busiest border crossing in the Western Hemisphere.

here is what it will look like when finished
for today,,,    - Page 19 Artist-rendering-border_t593

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty cabo, US consulate is moving

Post by dean Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:55 am

page 15 says the consulate is moving to the shops at Palmira. and says they hope to keep same phone number.

also notes there is a Consular Warden Neil Shroyer at Marina de LaPaz available for general information and emergencies 612-125-2112

http://www.bajacitizen.com/Editions/bajacitizenaug0811.pdf

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty rained today

Post by dean Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

ok we got our 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain today.... watch the desert turn green in a few days...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty new market in laventana opens STAR

Post by dean Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

the new market opens... 8/2011

the picture is below...

if you can not see it you may have to be logged in to see it. so create an account and you will not have ads and you can see pictures.

for today,,,    - Page 19 Star

Last edited by dean on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty REGION: San Ysidro border project could be delayed by lack o

Post by dean Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:14 am

it also mentions Otay Mesa is also having funding issues.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/sdcounty/article_9a998d60-90d6-53da-9dff-bf9edbc1f60c.html

REGION: San Ysidro border project could be delayed by lack of funding
Completion of the $577 million San Ysidro Port of Entry renovation could be delayed unless Congress allocates more money to finish the project, officials said during a state Assembly committee hearing held last week in San Diego.

When completed, the new San Ysidro border crossing is expected to reduce wait times to about a half an hour, according to GSA officials..

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty UNDERWATER BAJA CALIFORNIA WILDLIFE PARK COMES TO LIFE

Post by dean Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 am

http://www.kreadtiv.com/underwater-baja-california-wildlife-park-comes-to-life-219927.html

UNDERWATER BAJA CALIFORNIA WILDLIFE PARK COMES TO LIFE
A new investigate led by researchers during Scripps Institution of Oceanography during UC San Diego (USA) has found which a abounding undersea wildlife play ground tucked divided nearby a southern tip of Mexico’s Baja peninsula has proven to be a world’s many strong sea haven in a world.

Results of a 10-year investigate of Cabo Pulmo National Park (CPNP), published in the Public Library of Science (PLoS) ONE journal, suggested which a sum volume of fish in a haven ecosystem (the “biomass”) boomed some-more than 460 percent from 1999 to 2009. Citizens vital around Cabo Pulmo, formerly burned out by fishing, dynamic a play ground in 1995 and have particularly enforced a “no take” restrictions.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Rise in foreign tourist arrivals in Mexico

Post by dean Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:52 am

http://in.news.yahoo.com/rise-foreign-tourist-arrivals-mexico-045053262.html

Rise in foreign tourist arrivals in Mexico

Mexico City, Aug 16 (IANS/EFE) The number of foreign tourists visiting Mexico reached 11.4 million in the first half of 2011, a 3.3 percent rise compared with the same period a year ago, the tourism ministry reported.

In like manner, border tourists (spent) $260 million in the first half of the year, which represents an increase of 2.4 percent compared with the same period in 2010,' the ministry went on to say.

Tourism is Mexico's third largest source of foreign currency, after petroleum sales and remittances.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty just at cabo airport

Post by dean Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 am

the new addition to the cabo airport is looking great. From the looks of it it will solve a lot of problems. this is my guestimate but it appears it is way larger than the other terminal so my guess is there will be just one terminal when they are done. They have an upper and lower drive section so it appears there will be a departure and arrival separation. and they are carving in another 2 lane road so there will be two lanes coming in and going out. and I bet they are going to make it much simpler for people t\when exiting to know which way to go to get out of the airport. If all is done it will make it a professional class of airport. I am confident it will be finished by the time the worlds leaders arrive next year for the G20 summut meeting.

the road from cabo to TS is in full swing. I rode my motorcycle that way about 5 weeks ago and could not imagine they would be done with it as reported this year. But WOW... what a difference in 5 weeks. Now I see it will be finished as they stated. and watch out they put in topes in the dirt.... hit a 5 minute downpour in cabo but nothing apparently in LaVentana..

also I heard from a person on my last trip down there that they will widen the road from Cabo to Barriles to 4 lanes next. I asked when and he did not know.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty alaska fly to cabo special

Post by dean Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:21 pm

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/deals/flights/mexico-sale.aspx?wc_mid=1506%3A11745%3AWHA_IN_20110809_4_SoCal&wc_rid=1-459TW0L&wc_lid=Greeter_||20110805_SALE||

Fare Rules: Purchase by August 15, 2011. Fares available for travel to/from La Paz, Loreto, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and Los Cabos Monday through Friday from August 22, 2011, through October 7, 2011. Fares available for travel to/from Guadalajara, Mexico City, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo from August 29, 2011, through November 16, 2011. No advanced purchase is required.
Service Exceptions: Service to and from Mazatlan operates Sunday, Monday, Friday and Saturday only. Service to and from La Paz operates Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Service to and from Loreto operates Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Mexico's drug war

Post by dean Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 am

http://www.bajadailynews.com/

Mexico's drug war
WASHINGTON - THE UNITED States is sending new CIA operatives and retired military personnel to Mexico and may deploy private security contractors to fight drug cartels, The New York Times said.

Small numbers of CIA operatives and civilian US military employees have been posted at a Mexican military base, it said late on Saturday.
Security officials from both countries work there side by side in collecting information about drug cartels and helping plan operations, the report said. Officials are also looking into embedding a team of American contractors inside a specially vetted Mexican counternarcotics police unit, it said.
The new efforts have been devised to get around Mexican laws prohibiting foreign military and police from operating on its soil.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty tarantulas info and forum

Post by dean Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 pm

need to know about tarantulas? centipedes othr spiders
http://atshq.org/boards/viewforum.php?f=3

for today,,,    - Page 19 Site_logo

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty to treat severe scorpion stings.

Post by dean Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 pm

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139023806/mexico-to-the-rescue-in-americas-venom-belt
Mexico To The Rescue In America's 'Venom Belt'

by Monica Ortiz Uribe

Toxicologists refer to the American Southwest as the "Venom Belt" for its many venomous spiders, snakes and scorpions. In fact, doctors estimate there are about 250 severe scorpion stings a year in this country.

Most of those stung are children in Arizona, but the U.S. ran out of its own supply of scorpion antivenom nearly a decade ago. Mexican doctors, however, have been treating stings from venomous creatures for years, and what they've learned may now save American lives.

Just last week, the Food and Drug Administration approved a new drug made in Mexico for use in the U.S. to treat severe scorpion stings. It's called Anascorp and was developed by a company called Instituto Bioclon.
http://www.goldcanyontoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1794&Itemid=192
He notes that hundreds of these cases result in serious nerve poisoning and require medical treatment. “Nearly all of these patients are young children whose breathing may be severely affected by the effects of the venom. Without anti-venom, children stung by scorpions typically require heavy sedation and intensive supportive care, including a ventilator.”

“This is the first drug approved for this use by the FDA,” adds Dr. Boyer, who also serves as director of the University of Arizona’s VIPER (Venom Immunochemistry, Pharmacology and Emergency Response) Institute and is the Lead Investigator on the clinical trials. “

This is the first-ever drug developed fully in Latin America and subsequently approved by the FDA; the first-ever scorpion anti-venom proved effective under controlled clinical trials; and the first-ever anti-venom with so few allergic reactions.”

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty La Paz Immigration Office Update

Post by covertcode Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi everyone, the new immigration office in La Paz is still not open yet. As of today, there's still a lot of remodeling being done.
I was told that they should be up and running maybe mid next week , around the 10th.

Here's an old picture of the building from google earth so you don't get lost. Please subscribe to my
page if you have FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=248896921806112&set=a.248896918472779.822\
69.233698146659323&type=1&theater

-Francisco Gonzalez (Pancho)

SouthernBajaLegalServices
"Efficient and Affordable Paperwork Support:
Immigration - Title Research - Certified Translations and more..."

Mex Cell Phone: (612) 155-8421
Email: info@southernbajalegalservices.com

dean wrote:News from La Paz! The Immigration Office is Moving!

The Immigration Office will no longer be located on the Malecon. Starting next
week, the office will be located on 5 de Febrero Blvd. between Forjadores Blvd
and Durango St., near McDonald's.

If you've dealt with Immigration you probably known that it's very hard to get
things done; lately, the main reason why they've taken so long is that their
computer system is down all the time. So if you're planning on applying for or
renewing a visa I recommend you do it as soon as you arrive.

In mid august I will be launching a very informative website to help you
understand essential information regarding Immigration. In the meantime if you
have any questions feel free to write me. Please also, tell your friends about
my services.

Here's a quick bio about me.

I am 27, with 3 dogs and a lovely LaPaz Native wife. I was born in Mexico City,
but grew up in Orange County, CA and also here in Baja. Even though I completed
all my schooling in the US K to finishing Jr College, I also took everything
from K-12 here in Mexico (my mother wanted both cultures in my life), so you
could say I have double diplomas in both countries. I am currently a part time
law student at the Catholic University here in town and I'm also a certified
translator. I understand both cultures and both cultures slangs which is usually
very difficult for many who are fluent in English. And that's what allows me to
understand the needs on each side. My goal is to become a lawyer one day, but
for now I've been earning my living helping people with immigration visas and
legal translation, so if you or someone you know needs help...contact me.

Immigration - Real Estate Research - Legal Translation and more..."

From the US/CAN:(714) 983-8266
Email: info@...
Skype & FB: covertcode@...

covertcode

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty our road

Post by dean Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 am

I passed a truck on the road with people marking it every half a kilometer. I did not pay close attention to what the truck logo was because had to keep an eye on the pot holes and the their workers. I wish I would have noticed, but I think it was the water department. Obviously we want it to be the road department. They marked the entire road so I think it was water department. Maybe a new water line, i can not imagine they are going to repave the entire road.

The new LaPaz style modern looking mini-super now has beer signs up. They have older shelves in it so I assume it will not be a OXXO who would put in new shelving.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty LaPaz immigration office has moved

Post by dean Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 am

News from La Paz! The Immigration Office is Moving!

The Immigration Office will no longer be located on the Malecon. Starting next
week, the office will be located on 5 de Febrero Blvd. between Forjadores Blvd
and Durango St., near McDonald's.

If you've dealt with Immigration you probably known that it's very hard to get
things done; lately, the main reason why they've taken so long is that their
computer system is down all the time. So if you're planning on applying for or
renewing a visa I recommend you do it as soon as you arrive.

In mid august I will be launching a very informative website to help you
understand essential information regarding Immigration. In the meantime if you
have any questions feel free to write me. Please also, tell your friends about
my services.

Here's a quick bio about me.

I am 27, with 3 dogs and a lovely LaPaz Native wife. I was born in Mexico City,
but grew up in Orange County, CA and also here in Baja. Even though I completed
all my schooling in the US K to finishing Jr College, I also took everything
from K-12 here in Mexico (my mother wanted both cultures in my life), so you
could say I have double diplomas in both countries. I am currently a part time
law student at the Catholic University here in town and I'm also a certified
translator. I understand both cultures and both cultures slangs which is usually
very difficult for many who are fluent in English. And that's what allows me to
understand the needs on each side. My goal is to become a lawyer one day, but
for now I've been earning my living helping people with immigration visas and
legal translation, so if you or someone you know needs help...contact me.

Immigration - Real Estate Research - Legal Translation and more..."

From the US/CAN:(714) 983-8266
Email: info@...
Skype & FB: covertcode@...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty ts dora now

Post by dean Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:42 am

last evening a walk on the beach showed many rocks in the 10-30 lb catagory up high on the beach area.

many by this morning have been sinking into the sand.
today we have a very dry wind, and it is about the hotest day though i have recorded on my thermometer, 94.8. but because it is such a dry wind it is much more comfortable than the last week of humid heat.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty dora tide

Post by dean Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 pm

on the evening beach walk noticed the sea urchins are being washed up on the beach in quantity. the waves are not large but are very long going up way onto the beach.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty hurricane Dora

Post by dean Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Hurricane Dora was upgraded to cat 4 a few hours ago at 135 mph winds roughly 600 miles away. we are beginning to experience 10-15 mph winds from the south for the last few hours 9pm right now.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty New U.S. consulate opens in Tijuana

Post by dean Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

New U.S. consulate opens in Tijuana
Spacious compound is more efficient, secure than previous location
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/18/new-us-consulate-opens-in-tijuana/

TIJUANA — Long lines of visa applicants have for years been a fixture outside the offices of the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana, hub of one of the busiest American consular districts in the world. This week, the lines have suddenly vanished, even if the activity hasn’t.

After 47 years in the same location near the Caliente Racetrack, the U.S. government has moved across town, on Monday opening offices in a $120 million gated compound built near the Otay Mesa border crossing. The imposing stone structures — with more than 100,000 square feet of space in the main building — are intended to offer both greater efficiency and tighter security at a time when the consulate’s role has grown increasingly complex.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/ncc.html
Visas to the U.S.

Consulate General Tijuana is moving! As of July 11, 2011, all nonimmigrant visa interviews will be held at our new facility at the following address:

Paseo de Las Culturas s/n
Mesa de Otay
Delegación Centenario
Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico 22425

the below star is old location... it does not show oon this map go to the link.
for today,,,    - Page 19 NCC-map-web-cms-Small

for today,,,    - Page 19 CGUSATjMx-ExW_006

Last edited by dean on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty a few drops

Post by dean Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 am

we had a few drops this morning just enough to make the concrete slippery and then gone...

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty rain again

Post by dean Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 am

wow is it cloudy today... 7/4/2011 we have had a few drops. nothing making the pavement stay wet yet. 10am.
almost dripped all day, nothing stuck, the mountains should have had lots of rain. ours negligible just a few drops an hour. 8pm

cloudy today rain in the mountains 7/15/1011 7am

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty rain?

Post by dean Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 am

well it was measurable... between 1/16th of an inch and 1/32th is my guess.... a rain that left everything dusty.... and enough for dust surpression on the sand..

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty wow more funds for fixing our roads....

Post by dean Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 pm

A recent article states the road from todos to cabo will be finished this year. And a alternate road will be made from the SJ airport to Cabo, no date specified.

AND best news is funds for our area…..

http://www.bajagoodlifenews.com/2011/06/new-highway-and-road-improvements-for.html

Perez Jacome advised the Governor that other funds will be available to improve routes including Zaragoza-La Purisima, Cuidad Insurgentes- Lopez Mateos, El Sargento- La Ventana and La Paz- Los Planes,

note they just finished about 2 miles of the really bad part on the mountain side of LaPaz.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 am

know the rates we pay CFE

http://www.cfe.gob.mx/casa/ConocerTarifa/Paginas/Conocetutarifa.aspx

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Mexico's $8 Billion Power Projects may cut California Emissi

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:16 am

And this is timely, today in the baja news
I hope the Baja Sur people in government catch onto this and get some of thse companies to do the thermal reflective down in our neck of the woods, to minimize our fuel burning power plant and stabelize our power costs. they have gone up by about 50% in 10 years.

Mexico's $8 Billion Power Projects may cut California Emissions
by Baja Daily News (BDN) on 06/24/11

Mexico expects foreign investment in renewable energy to almost triple this year
to $8 billion, helping U.S. states such as California to slash carbon emissions,
said the head of the Latin American nation’s investment promotions agency.

http://www.bajanews.org/index.html?entry=mexico-s-8-billion-power

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Border Fast Track Lane for Tourists

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 am

http://www.bajagoodlifenews.com/2011/06/news-border-fast-track-lane-for_16.html

Border Fast Track Lane for Tourists - Cross into the U.S. Faster!
Courtesy of Baja Bound

Border Fast Track Pass - August 2010 Update
The Fast Track lane is still working great and that means considerably shorter wait times! We have heard that the wait is about 25-30 minutes - YAY!

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 am

http://www.bajagoodlifenews.com/2011/06/border-san-ysidro-border-crossing.html

There are presently 24 north bound lanes and 6 south bound lanes. When construction is completed there will be 35 north bound and 19 south bound lanes. In addition, the 35 north bound lanes will be double stacked that is they will have two inspection booths per lane so as to be able to process two autos at a time totaling 70 cars. The estimated time savings for crossings is a whopping 500% improvement. Presently the average waiting time is 90 minutes, which will be cut to 15 minutes. And the lines at peak times will go down from a high of 2.7 miles to under ¼ mile..

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:17 pm

the baja is a perfect place for reflective/thermal solar systems. It is considered one of the top places in the world for making use of the suns energy. PV (photovoltaic) is just too expensive and will degrade in a expected 30 year life. whereas the reflective/thermal plants are good for 50-100 years. Baja could begin solar farming of electricity and ship it to the mainland and or the USA. properly set up I bet these could provide shopping center shade. LaPaz could be the first city to mandate electric vehicles because the power is so cost effective. LaPaz could become the Solar Energy University and offer degrees on all aspects of this technology. In general LaPaz loses its best engineers because there are no real engineering jobs in the non-manufacturing area of the baja. This would create long term clean good paying jobs in the baja, thousands of them... Our electric costs in the baja for second the main tier rates are about 27 pesos with tax per KiloWattHour. or about USD$0.25. In the USA the average for home use is about USD$0.10 San Diego for the high rate is USD$0.14. And in the USA commercial rates are even lower. The USA gives a substantial discount to businesses. In Canada the delivered cost of electricity is about 7 cents per KWh. The cost to make electricity is as low as 2 cents a KWh made by nuclear power plants. And diesel plants being the highest. after that there are transmision and distribution fees. these fees are the equipment which is a standard around the world for wire transformers, no one has discounts here. As we know in the USA the power company linemen/installers employees make top level union wages. In the baja I have no idea what the costs are of the employees. The new installations of solar thermal with US labor costs for set up in the USA are delivering power to consumers at USD$0.14. this is in a return of 20 years and these plants will last for 50-100 years so the price will be substantially less. Isn't it time baja begins setting up these farms and selling the power to the USA and mainland Mexico?

Baja sells renewable fruits and vegetables so why not farm electricity and bring in quality jobs that last for a hundred years that do less damage than agricultural farming does and help the US and mainland have clean energy and become energy independent. the details are posted below in the next posts.

i have started a thread for this specifically with the sources for those numbers. go to the following link for the information
solar baja

http://la-ventana.info/t318-solar-updates-reflective-and-pv-for-the-world#848

here is what one in boulder city NV looks like, it began in 2007
for today,,,    - Page 19 Nevada_one_aerial

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 am

recently while driving past Santa Rosalia i noticed, hard to miss as you are coming south as you hit the water a huge mine operation, and I say huge..... i thought maybe it was another gold mine. But it appears to be a gypsum mine... good for them...

from a baja paper.
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/

MACOVI inaugurates production plant gypsum for agricultural use in Santa Rosalia
Gov. Mark Villaseñor said Covarrubias Mulege will not escape with federal, state and municipal levels to achieve economic recovery.

also the town just south of GN with the two gas stations now i saw a huge mine operation in the distance from hwy 1, (you can see it to the south of the town at night, it is lit up like a glowing city). I asked a local and he said that one is a gold mine and about 900 workers are there. now we know why there are two gas stations in a tiny town and a 6 lane road.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:34 am

two huge tuna trollers were in the bay sun and monday. these boats were huge.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty low cost cell phone and plan works USA and Mexico

Post by dean Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am

I recently purchased an att "go phone" pay as you go cell phone up in the USA while I was there. I went on the US plan of $2.00 a day for unlimited calls. while I was up there in the USA I was able to call mexico with it for $0.26 cents a minute. When you get on this plan it automatically allows mexico you do not need to sign up for anything else for it to work down here also.

After returning to Mexico I tested it and was able to call here in mexico for $0.25 cents a minute. And they did not charge me the additional $2.00 a day use because I was not in the USA for the unlimited calls. So this is a very good deal for those of us who do not live on our cell phones and do go up to the USA for trips.

I bought the this phone for $20.00 and it had $30.00 of credit (so 15 days of use in the USA included). and only pay the $2.00 when I actuallly use the phone (get a call or make a call, the phone can be on but if you do not answer it does not count as a day). With that plan, it is active for 3 months and then i have to add credit, if I do not add credit in that time I lose my credit and i get another month or so before the phone number is lost. If I add $100.00 of credit it is active for 1 year and i have $100.00 additional credit. If you add credit in a timely fashion yyou do not lose your old minutes that were not used.

and you can add credit online and see your entire detailed calling and account online. (lets say you lose your phone, well you can see where the calls were made)

Last edited by dean on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty border crossing times new site

Post by dean Fri May 20, 2011 7:07 am

www.bordertraffic.com with video cameras and free and paid updates.

Last edited by dean on Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty San Ysidro's new pedestrian bridge opens Friday

Post by dean Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 am

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/apr/14/san-ysidros-new-pedestrian-bridge-opens-friday/

Those traveling between the U.S. and Mexico on foot will take a new path Friday with the opening of the new pedestrian bridge at the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty Government closes season for fishing for all species of shri

Post by dean Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 am

http://lapaznews.homestead.com/lapaz.html

Government closes season for fishing for all species of shrimp in the Pacific Ocean.
by Baja Daily News on 03/24/11

La Paz, Baja California Sur .- The General Directorate of Fisheries and Aquaculture of the ban decreed CONAPESCA shrimp for Baja California Sur, as well as six other states, most revealed Álvaro Gómez Reynosa, SAGARPA delegate, also fishermen considered a failure shrimp harvest.

The federal official said the shrimp is closed for the Gulf of California and for estuarine lagoon systems, marshes and bays of Baja California Sur, Sonora, Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco and Colima.

External setting season for fishing for different species of shrimp from the Pacific Ocean is intended to protect them during their period of reproduction and the recruitment of new generations.

The National Commission of Aquaculture and Fisheries (CONAPESCA) announced that as of 00:00 pm yesterday began the closed season for fishing for all species of shrimp in the Pacific Ocean.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty DayLight Saving Time - 2011 and Baja Biscuits

Post by dean Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 am

vv
Baja Biscuits will be at the Farmer's Market at Viviro El Moy this Thursday from 8 am to 1 pm. We will be serving BBQ pork sandwiches and spicy Italian sandwiches with onions and peppers. Both sandwiches come with a side of creamy coleslaw. We also have homemade lemonade. For breakfast we have delicious apple fritters and huge cinnamon roll doughnuts along with hot coffee. We will be selling our homemade sausage frozen by the kilo. You MUST pre-order the frozen sausage. We have breakfast sausage in bulk, spicy Italian in bulk, and spicy Italian in casing (links). Bulk sausage is 170 MX clams and can be ordered by the 1/2 kilo for 85 MX clams. In casing, 200 MX clams. Please e-mail Ace at aceandlinda@yahoo.com, or call at (612) 149-3572. See you there.

INFORMATION

DayLight Saving Time - 2011

Most of Mexico (below the 10 northern border municipalities) -- Sunday April 3 to Sunday, October 30

USA & Canada -- Sunday 13 March 2011 - 2am local time - Sunday 6 November 2011

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 19 Empty LaPaz Carnaval march 3-8

Post by dean Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 pm

shedule of events
http://lapaznews.homestead.com/lapaz.html

Comments (0)
Carnaval La Paz 2011 starts today
by Baja Daily News on 03/02/11

Carnaval La Paz 2011 starts today March 3 truough March 8th. This years theme is "Naturaleza Viva" or "Nature Alive"
This year the Carnaval Parade is on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with a scheduled start at 7PM rather than the tradition 6PM. It will alternate starting ends of the Malecon as usual, but this year will start the first and third nights from the 'Molina' or 'windmill' NE end of the Malecon and on the second night from Marcos de Leon.

Most of the events are centered around the Esplanade and along the Malecon, although events and stages will be in place in many locations along the waterfront. Vendors will begin setting up as early as Monday, February 28 and traffic will be narrowed to one lane along the Malecon on Wednesday.

This is officially Program. Note the Parade will start 1hr later than previous years and the main concert events will begin at 9PM rather than the traditional 10PM.

The other change is the parade will begin twice from the NE end of the Malecon.

19 February
Computation of voting for Carnival La Paz Royal Court
Jardín Velasco 6 pm

3 March
18:00 Artistic Presentations and the opening of Carnaval 2011including the burning of Bad Humor in effigy.
20:00 Coronation of King of Happiness
21:00 El Costeno, Comedian . He pokes a lot of fun at North American tourists.
24:00 Banda Sinaloense and dancing

4 March
18:00 - 20:00 Artistic Presentations &
Coronation of the Queen of Carnival and presentation of the Royal Court
21:00 Napoleon in Concert - The Tom Jones of Mexico, he has been entertaining since the 70's 24:00 Banda Sinaloense and dancing

March 5
18:00 - 20:00 Artistic Presentations
Coronation of the King and Queen of Poetry
Presentation of the Winners of the Game of Flowers
21:00 Yuridia in Concert. Yuridia is a popular Mexican singer who recently placed 2nd on "The Academy" a Latin TV show cross between reality TV and Star Search.

6 March
17:00 hrs. First night of the Parade beginning at the east end (the windmill) of the Malecon
19:00 Ely Guerra in Concert . This is the BIG show folks!

7 March
09:00 hrs. Visit to the La Paz Orphanage by the Royal Court
10:00 hrs. Visit to the Senior Citizens Home by the Royal Court
13:00 hrs. Visit to the San Vicente de Paul care facility.
17:00 Second night of the Parade beginning at Marcos de Leon end of the Malecon
21:00 Los Hulzapoles Musical/Comedy Team .

8 March
17:00 hrs. Last night of the Parade beginning at the east end (the windmill) of the Malecon
21:00 Los Nietos in Concert. A top Nortena/Banda music and dancing. 24:00 Banda

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-life/events/carnival/carnival-la-paz.htm#acts

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next