La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mountain Bike News

Go down

Mountain Bike News Empty Re: Mountain Bike News

Post by dean Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am

• Those of you who regularly ride on the south trails have probably seen something new recently. The Dos Cardones trail now connects Cardon Corridor and Caca de Vaca. Trailforks Maps have been updated.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:17 am

Mountain Bike News - End of Season Update
Jamie and Team Slime are working on a "new" Cardon Corridor. There's so much bike and runner traffic on the Corridor that a parallel trail is being built. No word yet about an overpass over the new Bufadora road that crosses the trail.

I've been asked what are the best bike tires for our conditions. After 10 years of riding here I've settled on Maxxis Minions (DHF 2.5 in front and DHR 2.3 rear). Although our local bike store doesn't carry that brand, they do carry a similar Specialized tire. Use Stans liquid sealant in the tires. Do not use tubes, go tubeless. Any questions? wbrucmail.com or talk to Cristian at the Cacachilas Bike Hub.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:05 am

Mountain Bike News: This will be my last posting for what has been an incredible riding season here in La Ventana / El Sargento. Fifteen bikes were delivered to the local kids and one of them is now riding on a La Paz race team. Two new trails were completed - Las Palmas Loop and Las Palapas. https://www.trailforks.com/region/la-ventana/ There are 56 trails covering 44 kilometers in the system.

John Ecker and I are working on a new trail called Las Minitas (The Little Mines) https://www.trailforks.com/trails/las-minitas/. A big thank you to those of you who have been coming out to help us. You can find the trail on trailforks but as of this posting it only rideable for the first 1/2 km or so. Eventually it will go to the top of the Las Minitas hills (3.7 km), and beyond. Any paragliders out there? I see possible launch sites.

I've been asked by Rancho Cacachilas Bike Hub https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/ciclismo-y-senderismo/ to look into to adding to the Rancho Cacachilas trail system. So far a short loop at Las Canoas has been mapped. More details in the fall.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:18 am

Mountain Bike News. With the increase in bike traffic this year and the help of those of you who came out to help on volunteer days the trails are now in excellent shape. Thank you to Brenda and Piper for the plant identification signs on Cardon Corridor and Pista Pista. In a few weeks Cacachilas Mountain Hub will open in the brown building across the street from Lavanderia Rossy - look for the bicycle mounted to the outside of the building above the door. They will offer cultural activities, gastronomical experiences, hiking days and MTB rides on the Santa Rosa Trail. For trail maps go to http://www.trailforks.com/region/la-ventana/ or come see me in the campground across from Pablo's restaurant. As always I'm accepting donations of good bikes and components and helmets for the local kids. Thanks. Warren.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

here are the present local rides

http://www.trailforks.com/region/la-ventana?lat=24.1464335507749&lon=-110.13187766074871&z=12&m=terrain

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 am

MOUNTAIN BIKERS BEWARE— I believe this has become a mountain bike paradise but for some it has become a mountain bike hell.  Over the past 2 years I have seen multiple people with cactus spines in places they shouldn’t be, hands, finger joints, face, neck, knee joint, etc.  I have also seen 3 near fatal accidents, a head injury, lumbar fracture, and this week a clavicle fracture, 4th rib fracture and pneumothorax (punctured lung). The event this week could easily have been fatal. These were all involving experience riders.  ALL SERIOUS EVENTS INVOLVED SPEED AND DOWNHILL.  Remember, resources are scarce here.  Six out of the last 8 X-rays done in La Paz were misread, including missing the life threatening pneumothorax.  The CT scans are awful, 5 images (instead of a few hundred images standard in the US, making accuracy of diagnosis very difficult) and as of last year they did NOT have anyone that can read MRIs, although they have a machine.  The Orthopedic techniques, screws and plates they use here are not close to US standards.  This is coming from someone that loves downhill racing AND was one of the big 3 injuries.  Doc Mike

note, I now own a special set of tweezers that will pull out cactus spines much better than normal tweezers. I purchased them in the USA after I went to the local er and they only had normal tweezers and had a difficult time removing hard round spines. These prevent some of the lateral shifting that normal flat tweezers allow. Have used them several times with great success, minimal diging and damage. No problem with me lending these out.

Last edited by dean on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

Mountain Bike News Empty Mountain Bike News

Post by dean Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 am

Mountain Bike News. First, thank you to all of you who are donating bikes and bike parts to get the local kids out riding and to those of you who have been helping me on Trail Day Tuesdays maintaining the trails and especially to Susie and Larry for the $$$ donation. I'm here (main campground north end) until late March and can accept more donations of bikes and parts until then.
Trails. In addition to our awesome trails in the Hot Springs Beach and the Bufadora areas we will soon have trails in Cacachilas Mountains (previously known as the old gold mine or Walton property). More info at http://www.ranchocacachilas.com I've been asked to remind you to sign in at the gate if you want to check out the Santa Rosa Loop.
Ventana Windsports and Captain Kirks now rent high end bikes so if you don't have your own you can rent a bike for a few hours and go ride. Our trails are some of the best in Baja and range from beginner (Cardon Corridor) to advanced (Pista Pista Extrema). It seems the recent problems we've had with motorcycles on the trails was due to just one or two riders. Please no motorcycles on the singletrack. Unfortunately the Warren Ave. trail had to be closed down as that is part the race course and the risk of further damage was too great. I'll re open it in September. Yes, there will be another race here November 22, 2015. Wahoo!
For maps or info (like where the bike shops in La Paz are or how to slime a tire) contact me wbruce55 at gl.com

dean

Back to top Go down