La Ventana info and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for today,,,

+5
tejana
admin
roxiepool
covertcode
dean
9 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty for today,,,

Post by dean Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

First topic message reminder :

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-PlatedCars into Mexico

Post by dean on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm

http://yucalandia.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/new-requirements-for-bringing-foreign-plated-cars-into-mexico-banjercito/

New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito
Posted on June 17, 2011 by yucalandia

The Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit has issued a new decree affecting expats bringing foreign plated cars into Mexico: “New Requirements for Bringing Foreign-Plated Cars into Mexico: Banjercito”. From the Banjercito website:

“IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
The Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP) has issued a decree which states that beginning on June 11th, 2011 anyone applying for a temporary import permit for vehicles must make a deposit in the amount determined by the following table:

Vehicle Year Model:…….Amount to be paid in Mexican Pesos*
2007 and later…….USD $400
2001 until 2006…….USD $300
2000 and earlier…….USD $200

*Peso amounts are based on applicable exchange rate

This deposit is compulsory and can be paid by credit card, debit card, or cash (in US Dollars only).

Users must keep in mind that if the deposit is charged to a credit card, the charge will be made in Mexican Pesos and will be calculated based on the exchange rate of the day on which the payment is made. This deposit will be refunded to the same credit card on the next banking business day after the vehicle is fully returned and based on the exchange rate of that day.

The vehicle must be returned on time and within the time period stated on the temporary import permit. If the vehicle is returned after the stated time period, the entire deposit amount will be transferred to the Office of the Treasury on the day following the expected return date, as allowed by current law.”

Last Item:
Another clause in the new updated regulations requires FM2 Rentista and FM3 holders to notify Aduana within 15 days of when they renew their FM2 or FM3, otherwise Aduana is allowed to confiscate/keep these “new” deposits. Aduana’s address is listed in Yucalandia’s main article on cars in Mexico: “Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico”

This post is meant as a public service announcement (not meant as legal advice), so, we here at Yucandia will keep the post updated with further understandings and clarifications as they develop.

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quiet

Post by dean on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm
great new product for noisy rooms

http://news.cnet.com/noise-quenching-curtains-open-window-to-quiet/8301-17938_105-20059612-1.html
'Noise quenching' curtains open window to quietPost by dean on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am
Water, I have tasted it when not brushing my teeth and it is not salty. My meter reads about 1750 ppm which is about 1000 ppm less of what we use to have. But the taste tells me it is it is lower. My meter reads correctly on bottled water about 40ppm so not sure.

bookmark this site/thread as I will add pictures and issues from time to time.

here is a picture of one of the water tanks by the shrimp factory that will have the de-sal water. you will bring your own jugs here to fill up. a real watering hole...

right now they have the de-sal hooked up to the city water, our water is good but not great, 560 ppm disolved solids. I was told by the workers the plant can do 300 cubic meters per day. that is probably about 1/2 our requirements in the summer and 1/3 when everyone is here. I was told another well will be dug for the desal plant. also they ran a three inch line to all these tanks.

here is the tank in progress picture
for today,,,    - Page 12 Water_tank_shrimp_factory-600x337

here is the first structure being built in the campground by a comercial business. note the total area via the orange markers.
for today,,,    - Page 12 Whos_business_in_campground-600x337

second commercial business in the campground. not sure, coffee or taco stand. white building to the right of the gate.
for today,,,    - Page 12 Toco_stand-600x337

the first arroyo to the north of the campground, the new concrete fence with barbwire to stop people from parking there?
for today,,,    - Page 12 Arroyo_fence-600x337

and finally in parting, we had a real cloudy morning here a week or so ago, this is the sunrise...
for today,,,    - Page 12 Fire_in_the_sky-600x337
for today,,,    - Page 12 Sunrise_1-600x337

and lastly here is my suggested air seperation piping to keep water bills low, i have a discussion of it in the water section under building in this forum.
for today,,,    - Page 12 Air_seperation_1v2-600x337

Last edited by dean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 am; edited 9 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Re: for today,,,

Post by dean Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:41 am

I have the directions to this office with maps in the travel road remove a sticker something like that.

nomads
"Regarding the importacion/nationalization of cars at Otay Mesa:
The office is right next door to the banjercito office at the border. The business is called Sanchez y Asociados. Their phone number is 664-217-9131. Their e-mail (or at least the e-mail of the man we spoke to) is: luisimporta@yahoo.com. They were recommended to us by the people at the banjercito office. Luis said that a newer pickup (you can't import one newer than 2007 I believe) would cost around $1000 USD and the price would go down with the age of the vehicle. And, yes, he said it could be done in 6 or 7 hours. We will be nationalizing our truck through them in September and will let you know how it goes.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty new airstream trailer

Post by dean Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 am

http://www.gizmag.com/international-sterling-aluminum-interior-design/27769/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=9b9e515338-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-9b9e515338-90245106

for today,,,    - Page 12 Airstreaminternationalsterling

for today,,,    - Page 12 Airstreaminternationalsterling-6

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty location of the LaPaz solar farm

Post by dean Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:45 pm

for today,,,    - Page 12 Mapa2

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty list of bad gas stations in baja via profeco

Post by dean Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 am

Baja Nomad
Surely you've ever wondered why so few liters if the other station are over? The profeco just published a list of stations that steal in the state of Baja California, the trick is to turn down the speed at which gasoline and goes faster the counter, pure programming.

http://yurld.com/blog/lista-negra-de-gasolineras-que-dan-litros-de-menos-en-baja-california.html

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty where did the name for bay of dead come from?

Post by dean Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:12 am

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish_to_english/ships_sailing_maritime/4127407-tren_de_muertos.html

moorings
Explanation:
A muerto is a mooring. As explained, a block of concrete or other deadweight on the seabed with a chain. This chain may be buoyed and visible on the surface and so you can tie up to a mooring line shackled to it.
A tren de muertos suggests a line of these, either in the marina as explained earlier or as swinging moorings in the basin

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am

From my understanding once you become a permanent resident with the new immigration system you by the law cannot drive a US plated anywhere in Mexico. That was true even in baja with the old FM2. I had a friend who was a 20 year or so FM2 and he was not allowed to go to the mainland with his US plated vehicle for that reason. He would have issues with the police every once in a while in LaPaz too. He never had his car confiscated but it was threatened on a few cases. So that is one issue.

So now they have notified people that the new visa if a working one you cannot legally have a foreign plated vehicle.

Now added to that, the author below infers that in case of a serious accident because you are illegal your insurance company may not have to cover you. That is the same in the USA insurance companies will not cover you if for instance you were driving with a illegal license even though you paid for insurance. I had a friend that was an attorney that his job was fighting insurance companies denying people insurance claims after serious accidents in the USA.

So I personally think that that author would be accurate without a dozen Mexican attorneys giving their opinion all to one side. So one could be risking this. We are aware what happens here when you cannot pay at the time the cost of an accident it is severe here in México. And next we have a new liability limits for wrongful death this year has gone from was it about USD$50k or so to is it now USD$300k this year with their new laws. I think this is where the real concern for making the informed analysis risk assessment comes from, we are in new untested waters.

People should just consider this is a possibility now and make their decision with the new changes in the immigration laws.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty baja population growth

Post by dean Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 am

for today,,,    - Page 12 Popula10

for today,,,    - Page 12 Popula10

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty where does the sun rise June

Post by dean Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:59 am

for today,,,    - Page 12 P1020710

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:02 am

As the new changes in the immigration law are being ironed out, here are a few. I received an email today from
Surviving Yucatan. Two issues

1, a person with a Residente Temporal Lucrativa can not drive a US plated
vehicle anymore and must remove the vehicle from Mexico.

2, it states "
Note that if the police find a TIP car being driven with an
expired TIP (e.g. when you have an accident), they can confiscate the car
permanently. Also note that some insurance companies use the excuse of
having an invalid/expired TIP as justification to deny payment on accident
claims. In the case of severe accidents, denying coverage can leave the car
owner on the hook for $3 million to $5 million pesos of liability per death from
an accident, regardless of who is driving the car..."
I posted full email at
http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t145-registering-vehicles-and-importation-of-th\
em-and-other-items

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty LaPaz to have a 30MWatt solar instalation...

Post by dean Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am

http://www.pv-tech.org/news/sonora80m_plans_20mw_solar_park_in_mexico?utm_source=PV-Tech&utm_campaign=1a93f2c04d-PV_Tech_Daily_Newsletter_Thursday_30_May_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4ee2b8d807-1a93f2c04d-705265

Ford to buy power from 20MW Mexico solar farm

Although Martifer Solar is currently constructing Latin America's largest solar project, Sonora80M believes it will have the last laugh with a 80MW facility within the next few years. Image: Martifer Solar
Sonora80M Group has signed an agreement to deliver 15% of energy generated at its planned 20MW solar park in Mexico to Ford Motor Company.

The solar park will be located in Hermosillo, in the state of Sonora in northern Mexico, and is expected to start operations in 2014.

Plans to build the park, billed at the time as Mexico's "first large-scale PV project", were confirmed in August 2012. It will use Portuguese EPC firm Martifer Solar’s Smartracker technology, a one-axis tracker which is said to optimise the installation’s yield by around 30% and maximise the power distributed to the grid.

Commenting on the delay from planning to implementation, Pablo Mayo Sanz, partner-director of Sonora80M, told PV-Tech: “The delay is due to all the legal requirements needed to complete the project. This project sells energy to seven municipalities in Sonora (as well as Ford Motor Company), and this kind of public-private structure is quite complex, and requires political approval before starting.”

Martifer Solar was awarded an EPC contract for a 30MW PV facility in La Paz, Baja California, Mexico last week, which it said would be the “largest PV plant in Latin America to date"

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty water bill high?

Post by dean Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am

I have another theory why some have very high water bills. The meters are accurate.

I put on a air separator. But... Well I am on the main line with the campground. As we know the campground water is always on. Their is a shutoff 100 feet past my property to the north where they shut the water off for the water line on the east side of the street. So it is rare for me to have my water off. This winter and recently the water pump or lines have not been on and I noticed a higher than normal usage for no reason. I actually have a excel spreadsheet for my water and electric for 14 years of almost daily readings when I am down here. So I can pick out severe problems when they occur.

One recent one that was hard to figure out was a toilet that was intermittent and sticking open sometimes and not others. This leak over 2 months of not being able to find it cast about 20 cubic meters of water. And a pipe crack overnight about 15 cubic meters because of how large my water pressure from the city is. I would not have looked for the pipe break if I was not reading the meter so much and it would have been a couple hundred dollar water leak or much higher if I was not here. As we know some people have had yes USD$2,000.00 water bills. Shut your water off at the meter... have someone turn it on one day every other week for a day and send you readings.

Ok, back to the new issue, I have a air separator, but I also have two storage tanks, one large below ground and the other a small above the roof for gravity feed is we lose electric. so on these recent city water outages it drops the water levels in my pilas. Thus it opens the valve for these tanks so that air can just pass by because there is no back pressure to make it go through the air separators. So in theory a spring loaded one way valve could put enough pressure on the line to force it to go out the air separators. But this would take some testing. Probably the best would be to make a tall J trap out of pvc tubing that will give a few foot pounds of resistance. At the top of the J trap a larger diameter tubing may be a better design.

Yesterday this hit me when I had turned off the water main at the gate because the water was off all sunday. Generally you do not want the initial water when repair has been completed by the water department. So i was heading out for a bike ride and could hear a whistling sound at my gate, I went and looked and it was my air separator just whistling with air coming out because my shut off was closed. I should have opened the valve right then to see if the whistling sound dropped in dBs/volume to know this is for sure a condition. this sound was continuous for about an hour before water arrived.

Now for people that get shut off every other day this could be a significant impact.

so contact me if you have water bills that are higher than you think it should be and have a float level filling tank and I will keep you posted if I can find a good test subject to work with.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty old pictures of baja

Post by dean Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

https://www.facebook.com/raulverdugovillarino

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat May 25, 2013 11:32 am

here are some suggestions for increasing your safety and preventing theft.

If building put in additional contact sensors in the following places so that it is set for always on. In general thieves go for electronics like TV, DVD player, computer, notebook, monitor. And jewelry drawer, safes, where you leave you car keys. and so on. Same with the garage, have a cable system put in that you can wind a cable through items like bikes, motorcycles, quads, and so on on things you do not want walking off without an alarm going off. To do all this added to a alarm system is very cheap. This will allow you to have these items always active so you can leave for a bike ride, walk and not have to deal with the hassle of turning an alarm on and off all the time. I have used this system for years after two thefts and the third attempt in 5 years the thief has not returned in 7 years now.

Now, this same sort of concept can be added to your home wirelessly for a reasonable rate.

Next in light of a recent theft of someones car, here is another system that can be added cheaply. At t your drive in out gate, alarm it with a low cost car alarm system. What is great about these systems is they are run off 12 volts so if they cut your power the battery will power it for a month or more. You would ideally use the lowest cost marine battery. you can hook it up to the gate via either if anyone just touches it or opens it. So you would buy a vibration sensors for gate and door, or contacts, and buy extra remote controls and a 12 volt alarm horn if not supplied with the kit. These can even be purchased at autozone in LaPaz along with a auto or marine(preferred) battery.. You will also need a low cost battery maintainer/charger.

Next on windows at your home, it is very easy to put in dual position sensors for your alarm on your windows so you can leave them open a bit. This should cost about $1.00 extra per window.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 am

the car that was stolen from a sargento residents home while they were sleeping a few days ago has been found and has just minor damage. purse found in car with items missing like money , credit cards were in it.

Last edited by dean on Sat May 25, 2013 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty permanent residents on mainland confirmed import car

Post by dean Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 am

ay 23, 2013
Did the Aduana de Progreso officials really tell the gringos: Residente Temporal permit holders supposedly cannot keep or drive their previously-legal Temporary Import Permit (TIP) cars in Mexico?
Is the Merry-Go-Round of Misinformation spinning again... ?
(making more than a few of us nauseous)
A kind Yucalandia reader wrote in to say:
Americans were told today by Customs officials at a meeting with the American Consulate in Progreso, Yucatan that the Mexican Government has decided that neither Temporary or Permanent Visa holders can own or drive foreign plated vehicles… They are now illegal and will be impounded immediately.
Are the other Yucalandia readers who were at the meeting who can confirm what Aduana de Progreso officials said?
Old hands to this discussion know that the folks at Aduana de Progreso have consistently been completely wrong in their understandings of actual official Aduana policies on TIP cars for over 6 months.
I was not at the Gringo-Aduana Progreso meeting, so, I have no idea what was said, but I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the central Aduana office in DF in charge of Temporary Import Permits for vehicles, and another 30 minutes with Aduana’s bosses at SAT, also in charge of TIPs for vehicles, to confirm current REAL Aduana policies.
Both clearly said that WHEN A FOREIGNER HAS A RESIDENTE TEMPORAL, THEY ARE ALLOWED TO DRIVE THEIR FOREIGN PLATED CAR.
Residente Permanentes must either permanently import their cars or take them out of Mexico (see Retorno Seguro program).
Both SAT-DF and Aduana-DF said that the Aduana Progreso officials were wrong – giving “erroneous advice“, if they told the gringos that Residente Temporal gringos cannot extend the expiration dates on their legal temporarily imported cars. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
If Aduana de Progreso actually refuses to accept a Residente Temporal's application to extend/renew the expiration date of their TIP, then write a letter to Aduana DF, explaining that you want to extend your Permiso de Importación Temporal de Vehiculo for another year, to match your upcoming / impending Residente Temporal. You must apply to extend the TIP expiration date before your TIP expiration date, using your INM proof of payment (Garantía de Pago) document (from the bank) for your INM Residente Temporal.
Address:
Administración Central de Operación Aduanera
Avenida Hidalgo No.77, Modulo 4, Primero Piso
Col. Guererro Delegación Cuauhtémoc, CP 06300 Mexico DF
Include copies of:
~ your passport,
~ the TIP,
~ your previous INM permit with the foto
with your letter describing your name, make, model, year, and VIN of the vehicle, TIP number, and describing your latest change in INM status to Residente Temporal. Include your address and your email address.
Happy Trails,
steve
Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 pm

There was a break in at someones home at 3 am in the morning in LaVentana/Sargento area. With the person home and sleeping.

They cut the main gate lock with bolt cutters, and at the house went through a window. The owners have several dogs and large ones that bark. The dogs were not poisoned at least.

The purse was stolen and their car was stolen.

the only thing left to prevent this is an alarm. including the gate.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Invelox wind turbine claims 600% advantage in energy output

Post by dean Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 am

if the specs for this one are correct it is ideal for laventana.
for today,,,    - Page 12 Invelox

Invelox wind turbine claims 600% advantage in energy output

SheerWind, a wind power company from Minnesota, USA, has announced the results of tests it has carried out with its new Invelox wind power generation technology. The company says that during tests its turbine could generate six times more energy than the amount produced by traditional turbines mounted on towers. Besides, the costs of producing wind energy with Invelox are lower, delivering electricity with prices that can compete with natural gas and hydropower.

Invelox takes a novel approach to wind power generation as it doesn’t rely on high wind speeds. Instead, it captures wind at any speed, even a breeze, from a portal located above ground. The wind captured is then funneled through a duct where it will pick up speed. The resulting kinetic energy will drive the generator on the ground level. By bringing the airflow from the top of the tower, it’s possible to generate more power with smaller turbine blades, SheerWind says.

As to the sixfold output claim, as with many new technologies promising a performance breakthrough, it needs to be viewed with caution. SheerWind makes the claim based on its own comparative tests, the precise methodology of which is not entirely clear.

"We used the same turbine-generator (with a given load bank) and mounted it on a tower as is the case for traditional wind mills," SheerWind told Gizmag. "We measured wind speed and power output. Then we placed the same turbine-generator system (subjected to the same load), again we measured free stream wind speed, wind speed inside the INVELOX, and power. Then we used the power-speed relationship over 5 to 15 days (depending on the test), and calculated energy in kWh. Six hundred percent more energy was for one of the days. [...] The improvements in energy production ranged from 81 percent to 660 percent, with an average of about 314 percent more energy."

All else being equal, it would seem to be the latter category that is the most useful indicator.

Besides power performance and the fact it can operate at wind speeds as low as 1 mph, SheerWind says Invelox costs less than US$750 per kilowatt to install. It is also claimed that operating costs are significantly reduced compared to traditional turbine technology. Due to its reduced size, the system is supposedly safer for birds and other wildlife, concerns that also informed the designers of the Ewicon bladeless turbine. Finally, the system also makes it possible for multiple towers to network, that is, to get power from the same generator.

Utility-scale availability of Invelox is slated for 2014.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Car-top cargo box doubles as a boat

Post by dean Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 am

Car-top cargo box doubles as a boat

Given that people such as myself already have a tendency to mistake streamlined car-top boxes as whitewater kayaks, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that someone has gone and done the obvious – made a roof box that converts into a boat. Instead of serving as a kayak, however, the Boatbox can be rowed like a dinghy, or even fitted with a small motor or a sail. $1000.00

http://www.gizmag.com/boatbox-boatpack-roof-box-boat/27466/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=57b970dd28-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-57b970dd28-90245106

for today,,,    - Page 12 Boatbox-4

for today,,,    - Page 12 Boatbox-2

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Mon May 13, 2013 6:58 am

this is mainly happening on the mainland.

In the latest round of pitfalls facing people who nationalize their foreign plated TIP cars, there are reports out of Chapala that some lawyers and brokers are issuing fake pediments and giving out plates that are off stolen cars. Lic. Spencer McMullin reports that this becomes a big headache for the driver if you are pulled over, and the police find you are driving a car that shows up as being stolen. Police take car theft seriously, and he points out that they may approach the driver with guns drawn... http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=43893#entry339164
If you suspect there might be a problems with your plates, you can check them at this Mexican Federal Govt. website:
http://www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/servletconsulta
You enter your Plate Number, VIN, or Folio ID.
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Glad Tent doubles as a giant garbage bag

Post by dean Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 am

http://www.gizmag.com/glad-garbage-bag-tent/27451/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=748c9daac8-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-748c9daac8-90245106

for today,,,    - Page 12 Gladtent

Outdoor music festivals are notorious for a lot of things, one of the biggest being the amount of garbage left behind by the concert-goers. In an effort to get music fans to clean up after themselves, while also providing them with half-decent temporary shelter, the Glad Company recently experimented with a combination tent/big garbage bag, known as the Glad Tent.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty The Kwikset Kevo lock opens at your touch

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am

if you have your phone with you door unlocks by just touching lock. also has a small kefob you can have on your pocket for $2.00 each.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2038063/the-kwikset-kevo-lock-opens-at-your-touch.html?%23tk.out_mod?=obinsite

for today,,,    - Page 12 Kevo_gallery-100036689-gallery
Those fancy entry locks with the touch-sensitive numeric keypads are so 2012. Kwikset’s new Kevo deadbolt quizzes your iPhone to verify that you’re authorized to enter, and then unlocks when you physically touch it.

Kwikset licensed the technology from Unikey Technologies. I recently spoke with UniKey CEO Phil Dumas to learn how the Kevo works.

“We’ve developed a product that is truly a passive entry solution,” said Dumas. “We use Bluetooth low energy [a component of the Bluetooth 4.0 standard], so your phone needs to be in fairly close proximity to the lock to communicate with it. We require you to touch the lock before you can enter, so you don’t unlock the door as you’re walking by.”

Kwikset's Kevo lock is currently compatible only with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.
Your phone can stay in your pocket or purse, according to Dumas, so if you’re already juggling an armful of parcels, you don’t need to pull it out to unlock the door. As long as it’s close enough to the lock, a simple touch of your hand is enough to open the lock (a ring around the lock glows blue once it establishes a connection with your phone).

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

RE fidis. The last I read there was a vote to pass in one section/committee of the government and requires I think it was the senate ratification and President to sign. There were many things that would have to be worked out, like investment clause for over 2000 sq meters; it is for non-business purposes non rentals, so what happens if a person uses it for rental? Penalty either a fine or forfeiture. And so many issues are complicated and have to be determined before next vote. Procedure for changing, i.e. it will require a legal process using notary and bank fee is more that has to be determined too? So estimate is if it gets passed and signed into law about 6 months to1 year while the details are ironed out. As we can imagine if it is passed the speculation is huge sales in areas where foreigners are presently buying and a small difference in the areas where foreigners have avoided in the past with the Yucatan area getting the largest growth. These are some of the tidbits I have read so who knows.

RE cars; my understanding the old FM2 you could not take a US plated vehicle on the ferry. That same friend of mine told me he tried. And as I said he was hassled several times in La Paz for having a US plated vehicle but never received a fine or had it confiscated as a FM2. This seems to be the same with the new PERMANENT resident program, not with the other visas. And as reported on the mainland on several blogs the difference is now on the mainland they have confiscate cars and threatened and told people so. They have said if you are driving the car north to remove it it is safe passage but heading south with permanent resident status expect it to be confiscated. I never read before anyone on the mainland had issues ever before with confiscation. Thus I do believe people that are permanent residents should prepare themselves at least mentally they will be in time mandating here in the baja for ONLY permanent residents. Maybe 1-3 years. Also note it is much harder to enforce here in the baja because we do not need to register our vehicles like they do in Mainland after the border or first state zone.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty electric rates to go up all over mexico by 8.4%

Post by dean Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am

so if you go over the base of 200 in the winter or 400 in the summer your new rate is 3 pesos per kwh roughly 26 cents or 2-3 times the USA Canada rate..

A typical large old style style american refrigerator can use the lower base by itself. It is not going to get any better... If you are thinking of building time to look at the EF Block made in LaPaz.

www.efblockmx.info

Build your house out of this block for effective R value of 23 and with mass loading about R40 or so. The cost estimate on the site only adds $4,000.00 per 1000 square feet of building size.

http://www.octavodia.mx/articulo/41233/cfe-raises-electricity-prices-84

Mexico City. Jul electricity prices will be 8.4% higher than in April. The Federal Electricity Commision (CFE) Explained, the residential sector, That Uses The most energy will be charged the High Domestic Consumption rate (DAC) at $ 3 pesos per kilowatt / hour (Kw / h). The Industrial Sector rate is at $ 0.9959 and $ 1.7090 pesos during peak hours. In April the kilowatt was more affordable at $ 0.9188 and $ 1.6356 pesos respectively.

The methodology That was first used in 2011 Incited That in the electricity price agreement for the next 12 months the Ministry of Finance ( SHCP ) allowed this Increase in high and medium voltage and high consumption rates CFE user.

According To CFE, regulate residential rates REMAIN the same and only around 500,000 high consumption and commercial meters will be Affected by the changes. In the country there are 36.7 million clients, of which 88% are residential, commercial 9.93%, and 2.07% Industrial and agricultural users, These Latter being the highest energy consuming group.

CFE Explained That the spike in charges is due to the Decrease of natural gas used for generating electricity Caused by lack of crude oil in Pemex pipelines for fuel oil was used Which During the past 18 months. In 2011 fuel oil was priced at $ 9.74 pesos the liter, $ 8.75 in 2012 dollars and in 2013 $ 8.78 pesos. Prices are expected to REMAIN high.

Last edited by dean on Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Don’t freak out, but the government records and stores every

Post by dean Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Don’t freak out, but the government records and stores every phone call and email

http://www.techhive.com/article/2037632/don-t-freak-out-but-the-government-records-and-stores-every-phone-call-and-email.html#tk.nl_today

Is the government recording and listening to your every phone call and probing every email for dangerous ideas? Probably—if certain insiders are to be believed. According to one former FBI agent, the US government may indeed keep a massive database where all domestic communications are recorded and stored.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty In Mexico, Eco Concerns Where Sea Lions Romp cabo pulmo

Post by dean Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 am

NYT about Cabo Pulmo

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/travel/in-mexico-eco-concerns-where-sea-lions-romp.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

In Mexico, Eco Concerns Where Sea Lions Romp
I was scuba diving in Mexico in the Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park, a 27.5-square-mile ecosystem with an unusual history and an uncertain future. At least 226 fish species live in the park, and it is home to the only living hard coral reef in the Sea of Cortez. But environmentalists fear that a major resort development could significantly alter this delicate fringe of Baja, both above ground and underwater.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Killer Whales Chase Boat Having Fun With Tourists (Amazing).

Post by dean Fri May 03, 2013 7:23 am

in LaPaz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsXd2ELqOA

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty hurricane forccast

Post by dean Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/officialhurricaneoutlook2013.html

During the 2013 season will be recorded about 18 tropical cyclones in the Atlantic Ocean, well above the historical average. While in the Pacific Ocean the number will be slightly above average, with 14 cyclones, according to the National Weather Service (NWS) under the National Water Commission (Conagua).

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty also report significant theft to US consulate.......

Post by dean Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:29 pm

BWO
Consular General - We were fortunate enough to spend time with our Consular General from Tijuana as well as Benjamin Krueger, the Consular Agent of Los Cabos on the 23rd of April in a town hall meeting at the Hotel California. I was most impressed by his commitment to be an advocate for U.S. Citizens living or traveling in Mexico.

He specifically stated that he wants to hear from us if we have issues while living here. The Consulate would like to be contacted if you have had a significant burglary, been involved in physical abuse or a threat thereof. They need you to report those incidents with the local Ministerial Publico as well. Some people stated that the police did not speak English so it was difficult for them to file a police report. I would like to volunteer my services to translate for you if you need help in that area.

You should also know that if you have a Telcel phone you can call #066 and it rings into the office of the Ministerial Publico - all other phones must dial 145-0198 for the Todos Santos office. You can contact the Los Cabos Consular office via email at caboconsagency@state.gov or by phone at 624-143-3566.

Also during this meeting an extremely good idea came out that I wanted to pass along. A woman recommended that we put a contact and phone number named ICE (In case of emergency) into our cell phones which will ring to your next of kin in case of an emergency. I may put ICE-1 and ICE-2. I think that is an extraordinarily great idea for all of us!!

I want to thank Mr. Erickson and Mr. Krueger for holding the town meeting and reaching out to us as a community. I was quite impressed by their commitment to us. - Kathy Todos Santos

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty bill passes first stage to break up telmex monopoly

Post by dean Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 pm

http://www.economist.com/news/americas/21573564-enrique-pe%C3%B1a-nietos-proposal-reform-television-and-telecoms-shows-he-serious-about?zid=305&ah=417bd5664dc76da5d98af4f7a640fd8a

DURING Enrique Peña Nieto’s successful run for Mexico’s presidency last year, political observers took his promises of structural reform with a large pinch of salt. Mr Peña belongs to the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), which ruled the country autocratically for seven decades and had blocked or watered down most of the legislative agenda of Felipe Calderón, the president in 2006-12. Moreover, he owed much of his rise to prominence to Televisa, a television network that has 70% of Mexico’s national free-to-air market. The company broadcast soap operas starring his future wife and gave him fawning coverage in the campaign. The common view held that Mr Peña would impose no more than cosmetic reforms on Televisa—or on any of the other interest groups that have hamstrung Mexico’s economy.

In the space of just two weeks, however, Mr Peña has revealed the extent of his ambition. Now that the PRI has retaken the presidency, he seems intent on clearing out the monopolistic blockages to Mexico’s growth and confronting some of its most formidable lobbies. On February 26th prosecutors arrested Elba Esther Gordillo, the head of the teachers’ union, on embezzlement charges. And on March 11th Mr Peña turned on Televisa itself—as well as Carlos Slim, the world’s richest man—by announcing a reform that could at last open up some of Mexico’s least competitive industries. “I’m here to transform the country, not simply run it,” the president said the day before the plan was unveiled.

for today,,,    - Page 12 20130316_amc242_0

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty fee simple passed initial vote for private use.

Post by dean Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm

http://yucalandia.com/2013/04/24/article-27-changes-proposed-allowing-foreigners-to-own-land-in-the-50-km-zone/

Article 27 Changes Proposed Allowing Foreigners to Own Land in the 50 km Zone
Posted on April 24, 2013 by yucalandia
APRIL 24, 2013
The Camara de Diputados has passed changes to Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution affecting fideicomisos, but only parts of the text have been released.

This Constitutional amendment still needs approval from the Senate and a majority of the country’s 32 state legislatures to become law. Summaries of the the law are saying that foreign ownership of land in the 50 km zone for “commercial purposes” is prohibited. … No renting-out your place without a corporation or fideicomiso designed specifically for rentals(?):

One quoted section identifies 4 key points:
“Que el uso de las tierras sea destinado para vivienda única y exclusivamente. Que el uso de las tierras no tenga uso comercial, industrial, agrícola o cualquier otro que implique explotación económica directa o indirecta que derive de un uso a la vivienda o casa habitación. El extranjero deberá convenir con la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores, en los términos de la fracción primera, párrafo noveno, del artículo 27 constitucional. En caso de que las tierras sean destinadas a un uso distinto al de vivienda, la ley establecerá los procedimientos para que el extranjero pierda los bienes adquiridos en beneficio de la nación.“

~ These lands are intended exclusively and only for (private) housing.

~ These lands are not to be used for commercial, industrial, agricultural or any usage that directly or indirectly economically exploits these lands, as they are being used for living and (private) housing.

~ The foreign owner must agree(?) with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, under the terms of the First Part (fracción), Ninth paragraph of Article 27 of the Constitution.

~ In the case where the lands are intended for uses other than housing, the law shall establish procedures such that the foreigner loses their previously acquired benefits (loses rights the property?) to benefit the nation of Mexico. “

These translations seem to prohibit foreigners from buying properties and renting them, within 50 km of the coasts and land borders. The text seems pretty clear that these properties are to be used only for private housing. (?)

Still looking for a copy of the actual text of the bill,
steve

© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty end of the tail..

Post by dean Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

if you want wifi in your house but do not have a phone line here is a way. It is not real cheap as it is by your data downloading, so if your download movies will be expensive. But for email web surfing it is reasonable. Basically if a telcel cell phone works these will work. Plans are from 500mb to 30 Gb. from USD$15.00-150.00

***** you will want to turn off software upgrades and at least once a month go to an internet cafe to prevent large downloads.

http://www.internet.telcel.com/computadoras.html#tab2

Telcel Mobile WiFi

With WiFi Telcel, creates your own network wired or wireless and connects various devices to a modem simultaneously to navigate in Internet. Connect your laptop, your console from video games and all computers with WiFi.

Take your WiFi Telcel Internet everywhere and share with anyone. All this with the largest nationwide coverage, which only Telcel offers.

Connect multiple computers simultaneously and unlimited internet browsing.
Connect your laptop, your video game console, and all equipment requiring connection to the Internet.
Create your own Wired & Wireless Network.
Take it everywhere.
All with the quality and coverage of Telcel's 3G Network.

http://www.telcel.com/portal/equipos/begin.do?idEquipo=2868&tipoPlan=&tipoTerminal=4&historico=0&marca=&tecno=&caract=&queryEq=&backPage=RESULT

ZTE
MF30

The sophisticated and stylish design technology and Wi-Fi ZTE MF30 Mobile Telcel, you can share your Internet connection through 3G Telcel its Wi-Fi and its four LAN ports, to various fixed and mobile devices once. You can connect a traditional phone to make and receive calls over Wi-Fi Mobile Telcel. Internet to any place for your team, family and friends surf the Internet at the same time wherever you are.

for today,,,    - Page 12 Mf30_ficha1

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:11 pm

LPG
My wife and I are heading back to the states for work leaving tuesday morning. Traveling to eastern Washington for six weeks returning to La Paz June 15th. Looking to offset my fuel and hotel cost's, so would like to know if anyone needs anything towed to or from. Thinking a boat,trailer,space shuttle. I have a big truck with large towing capability. Just inanimate objects please no people. thanks Ken 6121538547

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Real Estate in the Restricted Zone without Fideicomisos.

Post by dean Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 am

vv
Foreigners could own Real Estate in the Restricted Zone without Fideicomisos.
An amendment to our Federal Constitution that would eliminate the need of Fideicomisos in the restricted zone (the whole peninsula of Baja California and beach front property) is being discussed at the Congress. For more info visit: http://noticabos.org/2013/04/18/extranjeros-podrian-tener-sus-propias-casas-en-la-playa/ and http://peninsulardigital.com/extra/beneficas-para-el-estado-las-modificaciones-al-27-constitucional-opina-ampi/113020
The Paper Chase, Alba Walker, Cell. 6121577285, Office. 1656503, www.thepaperchase.com.mx

expect the banks to use lobbying power to oppose this big time....

http://yucalandia.com/2013/04/21/mexican-legistature-plans-a-vote-this-week-on-the-fideicomiso-issue/

Foreigners can buy land on the beach, of an amendment to Article 27 of the Constitution to be voted on Tuesday in San Lazaro / Since its enactment in 1917, the Constitution prohibits foreigners to purchase property in a stretch of 50 kilometers on the coast

MEXICO CITY, April 20 (UNIVERSAL). – In a direct way, foreigners may own land on beaches housing exclusively for non-commercial purposes from a reform of Article 27 of the Constitution to be voted in San Lazaro this Tuesdays.
Since its enactment in 1917, the Constitution prohibits foreigners to purchase property in a stretch of 50 kilometers on the coast, and yet they have the soil domain through trusts.
The chairman of the Commission on Constitutional Chamber of Deputies, Julio Cesar Moreno, said that this change will end a practice of simulation.
Once you approve the reform will be fulfilled a brand of change to Article 27 of the Constitution, within 20 days from the filing of the initiative.
The change initiative is the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) and the National Action Party (PAN), by Gloria Elizabeth Sanchez Nunez, Manlio Fabio Beltrones and Raul Paz Alonso, who argue that in practice foreigners are owners of land on the beach but not his name, but prestanombres or trusts.
The opinion notes that “foreigners do not affect in any way the sovereignty, territory and the legal rights that protect the state.”
The opinion recognizes, with the proponents, the aim of the initiative is to “eliminate the middleman: the houses realtors or builders listed as owners of the land, but sold the building to foreigners”.
This will “neutralize foreign restriction of not being able to own land, since legally abroad only owns the building” when in practice, it is also mourning the land.“

© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty whale tail in lapaz today

Post by dean Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:07 pm

http://peninsulardigital.com/extra/se-varo-ballena-en-el-coromuel/113142

La Paz, Baja California Sur. - A specimen of humpback whale was found beached this morning near the popular resort The Coromuel as authorities try to rescue the whale coordinated hundreds of people watching the sad spectacle.

The specimen was stranded at noon today at the Los Bajos known as just 100 meters from the navigation channel that allows entry to the Bay of La Paz.

As the morning progressed and the tide level down the specimen was being surrounded by people trying to do something for the whale about eight meters long and weighing several tons emitting true lamentations were audible to the edge of the beach .

Hundreds of swimmers and boat passengers trying to watch the show as close as possible including the site of the incident to either swim or kayak board or boards for recreational sports.

As of noon today not seen action in order to rescue the whale, and apparently local divers volunteers, trying to keep the back of the specimen wet that time unsuccessfully trying to free space on depth level where you are.

Because it is a developing story Digital Peninsular kept informed of the events giving rise to come in relation to this event.

for today,,,    - Page 12 BALLENA

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty lpg Ripped from the headlines!

Post by dean Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 am

1-May 15 starts hurricane season and the prediction is for more rain than last year, with one big storm and 13 lesser storms.

2-Last Saturday there were 17 incidents of damage and robbery reported. Yes, 17 in one night. The Breezemart was the worst hit, with a gunpoint robbery netting 10k pesos. No one has been caught in any of the 17, but someone was arrested for shoplifting hair gel from a supermarket

3-The national secretary of crime prevention will be in La Paz this week to address the wave of crime spreading across BCS, categorized as at historic levels

4-Formal neighborhood watch programs are being started throughout the city. The city and state will give training and support and tee shirts to those who form groups.

5-The price of fruits and veggies is forecasted to go up by 20% over the next few months, as water supplies are dwindling.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty dengue fever

Post by dean Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:22 am

Why bacteria is being recruited in the fight against dengue fever

http://vimeo.com/49661153

http://www.gizmag.com/dengue-research-wolbachia-clove/26967/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=da28af9c9e-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

It can be lethal, it makes patients ill for weeks and there’s no vaccine against it. Cases of dengue fever, whose symptoms usually include high temperature, body ache and fatigue, have increased 30-fold in the last 50 years. The World Health Organization estimates that around 50 to 100 million people are infected yearly and 2.5 billion people live in risk areas. After a successful trial run in Australia, a promising development that uses a common bacteria to fight dengue is about to be tried in one of the most affected countries in the world – Brazil.

Clove remedy
In fact, removing breeding sites around the house is a routine that most Brazilians have grown accustomed to, with televised public announcements constantly reminding them of the chore. However, if some stagnant water is unavoidable, those looking to keep Aedes aegypti at bay can turn to another ally in nature. Recently, the Instituto de Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia, an Amazon-based research center, discovered that a substance called Eugenol, which is found in clove (Syzygium aromaticum), can kill the larva of the dengue mosquito in 24 hours.

The formula is undergoing patenting, but it’s simple and can be prepared at home by blending 60 clove buds and a cup of water. No sieving is required and the solution can be kept in a fridge for up to one year. In terms of dosage, three drops suffice for a 15-cm vase (popular targets for dengue mosquitoes) or other types of containers that retain water. The blend will remain effective for about 14 days.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:13 am

Three (3) Temporary Import Permit (TIP) cars owned by Residente Permanentes are reported to be confiscated by the police in Mazatlan. We here at Yucalandia follow reports from numerous expat web forums from around Mexico, and the following is a credible report from Mexconnect of TIP cars being confiscated for driving without a valid importation permit:
"Here in Mazatlán there were three foreign-plated cars belonging to gringos who had just recently received their Residente Permanente status that were confiscated. The 6 days (Aduana de Mazatlan gives Residente Permanentes) to remove the cars from México or nationalize them had passed. It is rumored that the Federales said if the people with the new status are headed north toward the border to remove or nationalize the cars, fine, no problem. But if they head south, they are fair game.
Two of the cars confiscated were in Villa Unión which is just beyond the cutoff for Mazatlán´s airport (there is a popular seafood restaurant there) and one was at the airport....both locations south of Mazatlán. Supposedly, the US Consular agent was stopped at the airport, but he showed his diplomatic immunity papers and his car was not confiscated. Scary!
Tom Whitmore "
April 4, 2013 Mexconnect http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=188845;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=last;#last
Before this report, we have read only 2 other isolated reports of confiscations of TIP vehicles owned by Residente Permanentes. So far, the reports of confiscations are isolated to the Mazatlan area, but there is no assurance that other Aduana offices and police will not start confiscating Residente Permanente's TIP cars in other parts of Mexico.
The current Aduana Operations Manual for TIP vehicles has rules that say: TIP cars must be returned to the border when the foreigner no longer has a valid Inmigrante (FM2) or No Inmigrante (FM3) INM permit. Under the published laws, the only clear legal option for Residente Permanentes with TIPs, is to get a Safe Returns permit from SAT/Hacienda and legally drive their car out of Mexico: What to Do If Your Car Becomes “Illegal” – The Retorno Seguro Program / Permit:.
Further details on these issues can be found at: Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico and Options for Foreign-Plated “TIP” Car Owners in Mexico, esp for Permanent Residents
© Steven M. Fry

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Daylight Saving Time Begins This Weekend

Post by dean Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 am

BWO
Daylight Saving Time Begins This Weekend in Most of Mexico - Don't forget to set your clocks forward! Daylight Saving Time (DST) is also called "Summer Time" or "Daylight Savings Time," and begins on the first Sunday in April in most parts of Mexico. This year, that falls on this Sunday, April 07. The state of Sonora does not observe Daylight Saving Time.

In 2010, the Mexican government authorized ten Mexico municipalities that border the United States to began Daylight Saving Time to correspond with US Daylight Saving Time. These areas include Acuna, Coahuila, Anahuac, Nuevo Leon, Juarez, Chihuahua, Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexicali, Baja California, Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, and Tijuana, Baja California.

This change was requested to facilitate commerce with the US. Transportation and banking industries were especially affected by the three-week difference in daylight saving time and, in many cases, businesses had to to open an hour earlier in order to conduct business with US companies during the period when the two countries were on different times. More Info here: http://www.timetemperature.com/tzmx/mexico_dst.shtml -

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty a forum

Post by dean Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 am

this one lists the serious crime and issues of mexico in english.

http://fulano.info/forum/forum-5.html

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Time to Break Up the Telecom Industry

Post by dean Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:47 pm

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/15084-time-to-break-up-the-telecom-industry

Last week, Forbes came out with its annual list of the world’s wealthiest people. And, once again, Carlos Slim topped the list, with an estimated net-worth of $73 billion.
So how did Slim get all of that money? He got it by controlling the majority of Mexico’s telecom industry.

Slim purchased Telmex, Mexico’s state telecoms company before it was privatized, in 1990. Since then, he’s continued to grow his Latin American telecom monopoly. This is thanks largely in part to his abundant connections with political officials in Mexico, who have let Slim put a stranglehold on the Mexican telecom industry without asking any questions.

However, it looks like Slim’s vast wealth could soon be taking a hit.
Yesterday, the Mexican government announced a sweeping new proposal to crack down on the telecom monopolies and tycoons like Carlos Slim.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty Tricycle House pedal-powered RV offers lots of home comforts

Post by dean Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm

http://www.gizmag.com/tricycle-house-pedal-powered-rv/26553/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=5a1e58a216-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

Tricycle House pedal-powered RV offers lots of home comforts

expands out like an accordion .

for today,,,    - Page 12 Tricycle_house

Last edited by dean on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty todos Santos had a big fire

Post by dean Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 am

yesterday Todos Santos had a large fire that even went into the town.

http://www.octavodia.mx/articulo/39626/arde-todos-santos-fuego-fuera-de-control

from BWO

Todos Santos Huerta Fire - Shortly after noon, yesterday, Thursday, Feb. 28, a large fire broke out in the Las Quintas ~ Los Flores area northeast of Todos Santos. Apparently started by sparks from a vehicle, winds quickly fanned the flames into the nearby palms, and electricity was cut to Todos Santos. The highway north to La Paz the and the Los Flores road were both closed for a while as firemen from Todos Santos and La Paz worked to put out the flames and limit damage. Some damage was reported, as were injuries to the firefighters who put out the blaze. Some palapa roofs in downtown Todos Santos caught fire from burning embers as they were carried into town by the high winds.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty maybe you can import your car truck van

Post by dean Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 pm

http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/driving-in-mexico/other-vehicles-you-can-import-in-2013/

Importing During an Amparo

The types of vehicles and years of vehicles that someone could import into Mexico is tightly controlled and basically has been restricted to NAFTA vehicles of certain years. However, an Amparo has recently been issued by Mexican federal courts and that has created a window of opportunity to import a number of cars, vans and trucks that would not normally be permitted. The Amparo window is open at only two border crossings, most notably at Tijuana.

What is an AMPARO?

"Amparo" cannot be translated into English because it has no direct equivalent in common law or case law (precedent) legal systems. An Amparo is a very powerful provision, unique to Mexican law, that is an order for protection against acts by authorities. In this instance, a vehicle trader/importer applied to the court for a ruling to set aside the import duty rates for certain vehicles. The case was won and, under Mexican Napoleonic laws this resulted in an Amparo and the setting aside of the customs rules governing the importation of certain automobiles, vans and trucks. It can be expected that the Mexican government will appeal this decision, or introduce changes in legislation, to set aside the Amporo. In the meantime, there is a window of opportunity to import foreign vehicles that might otherwise not be eligible to enter Mexico.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:57 pm

for today,,,    - Page 12 Iss023e022903

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty All-terrain DTV Shredder hits the market

Post by dean Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 am

http://www.gizmag.com/dtv-shredder-on-sale/26135/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=494e94330d-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

for today,,,    - Page 12 Dtv-shredder-4

Those looking procure their own DTV Shredder are in luck. The DTV (Dual Tracked Vehicle) that first crossed our desks in 2010 is now available for purchase via the BPG Werks website and through various international distributors. And the price of being able to tear it up over practically any terrain (with the exception of public roads)? US$3,999.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 pm

vv
What we all need to know about the Ambulance service in El Sargento/La Ventana

The ambulance is run ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS. The current El Sargento team consists of 11 local people and was newly formed last October after the previous volunteers got burnt out. Team members are gradually being trained in basic first aid by instructors from La Paz (e.g. this week ‘s topic was the rudiments of CPR ) and are doing the best they can in very challenging circumstances. They are unpaid, have no budget, very little equipment (not even splints, or oxygen), and have to fundraise for essentials such as plastic gloves, bandages and even the diesel fuel they need to run the vehicles. They have to pay for their own uniforms, and for their training. They use their personal phones for their emergency calls and sometimes have to chip in for the fuel.

The ambulances were donated by the government 14 years ago but there is no budget for maintenance. The larger one is out of service at the moment until funds can be raised to repair it. El Sargento’s team covers the whole area from Rancho Ancon (halfway to La Paz) down as far as Los Muertos, since Los Planes has no ambulance service at the moment due to lack of trained volunteers. Because of zone boundaries, our local ambulances cannot take patients directly to a hospital in La Paz. They have to wait at the city limits (sometimes for 45 mins or more) for a La Paz ambulance to meet them and take over the patient. If it is not a life-threatening emergency or an obviously broken bone, they have to go first to the clinic and get a note from the doctor authorizing transportation to a hospital.

If you need transportation to emergency medical assistance: under current conditions, your best option is probably to rely on the paramedical knowledge of people close by, and get someone with a reliable vehicle in which you can lie flat to transport you straight to either the private “purple” hospital in Fidepaz (if you have insurance) or to the new public hospital near Soriana (if you don’t have insurance). Take someone with you who speaks Spanish, if possible.

If you choose to use the ambulance: please assist them afterwards with a donation. This is what Mexican families do, but foreigners have generally not done so, probably because they assumed it was a free service.

If you have used the local ambulance in the past: could you please consider making a contribution now?

Donations: can be made to the Volunteer Organiser, Lupita Cosio Barrera, who can be reached on 612 103 4377, or lulubel1976 via hotmail hotmail.com, or at the Star Market. The finances are managed transparently by a volunteer committee.
The motto of the organisation of ambulance volunteers with which El Sargento’s group is affiliated is “Giving from the heart”. Let us do the same. To avoid the new team burning out, they need all the support they can get.
Further information can be obtained from Heidi Hart on 612 153 4375 or harthe77 , or Chris Bradley on 612 136 1609, or chris.bradley3 both at gmail.com

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty wind child

Post by dean Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:32 am

Child of the Wind, a video by Daniel Dancer to the well known Bruce Cockburn song, celebrates the wind culture and beauty of La Ventana. Thanks to everyone who participated in it's creation! It can be seen right here: https://vimeo.com/58224591

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty new flight to lapaz from LA, Aeromexico

Post by dean Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oem.com.mx%2Felsudcaliforniano%2Fnotas%2Fn2845652.htm

La Paz, Baja California Sur-Aeromexico announced the operation of two new flights from the month of March, one that will connect La Paz with Los Angeles and another expected flight that reinforces the air connectivity of Loreto to link with Mexico, Culiacan, and Los Angeles, announced the Governor Marcos Covarrubias Villaseñor.

He explained that the new La Paz - Los Angeles route starts the month of June, Thursdays and Sundays every week and to do so constitutes a trust of 900 thousand dollars which the State contributes 400 thousand dollars and the Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico a note of credit of $500,000.

dean

Back to top Go down

Post by dean Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Whatever you do, do not take the border road north to cross at San Ysidro into the USA from the beach area/direction. Just went south at new border crossing at San Ysidro and it was great. Hard right and hard left and a 31 foot RV was no problem. Got bumped into secondary no issues. Immigration you part just up ahead and walk back, very clean bathrooms at immigration. But note there is road construction and the entire lanes are closed off in TJ for the returning to the USA road that follows the border from the beach area. Who knows where the detour sends ya… So go to either Otah Mesa or Tecate. dean@la-ventana.com also I saw on the USA side a (pretty sure) Bankomex so would be interesting to hear how the American branch interfaces with the Mexican one is someone is in the know. Rest of the road was in great shape and you can get all the way around the Wal-Mart Costco section of Ensenada going north by turning before them to the left right after the military base and follow that road around as I indicated on www.laventana.info in the travel section. Saves time and so many lights and so on.

dean

Back to top Go down

for today,,,    - Page 12 Empty A fideicomiso

Post by dean Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:29 am

http://yucalandia.com/2012/12/24/fideicomisos-and-fatca-us-mexico-agreement-on-fatca-reporting-requirements/

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Documents/FATCA-Agreement-Mexico-11-19-2012.pdf

The parts of this recent US-Mexico agreement that affect FATCA reporting of Fideicomisos are spelled out in:
ANNEX II, NON-REPORTING MEXICAN FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND PRODUCTS
from page 33:
" II. Deemed-Compliant Financial Institutions.
The following categories of institutions are Non-Reporting Mexican Financial Institutions that are treated as deemed-compliant FFIs for purposes of section 1471 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code:
A. Any exempt organization resident of Mexico entitled to the benefits provided in Article 22 of the Convention between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of the United Mexican States for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to Taxes on Income and paragraph 17 of its Protocol.
B. Consistent with paragraph 3 of Article 5, a fideicomiso, to the extent that the fiduciaria of the fideicomiso is a Reporting Mexican Financial Institution and reports any information required to be obtained and exchanged pursuant to this Agreement with respect to any Controlling Person of the fideicomiso.
C. A fideicomiso that serves solely as escrow for a debt or purchase obligation of the settlor.
D. A fideicomiso the assets of which consist solely of real property. "
These decisions seem quite clear cut: Fideicomisos for property that serve solely as escrow for a debt or purchase obligation, (as are commonly used by gringos to buy real estate in Mexico's coastal and border zones), ARE EXEMPTED FROM REPORTING by MEXICAN FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.

dean

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next